“Don't stay here!”

NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
Ranked #391 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Honestly this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in - it should be called Fawlty Towers!
Staff were the rudest I have ever come across. Everything was charged extra - breakfast would be $23 for continental - ridiculous when you can pop across the road and 2 of you can eat for that price!
Apart from the bathroom, rooms were the shabbiest I have ever seen. We had to change our first room as it had a tiny little window and was dark and depressing. Rooms were stuffy with no controls in each room to allow you to adjust.
Apart from the location I would not recommend this hotel. Pay a tiny bit extra and you can stay at a much better hotel - believe me it's worth it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CMAnon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,761)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and had booked the hotel as part of a package with flights through British Airways. We were booked into a standard room and for the price we paid as part of our package I was happy enough with it - I certainly would not want to pay any more. The standard room we had was on the 11th floor - clearly the older part of the building as the carpet and general décor is in need of a tidy up. That being said, the room was more than adequate for our needs: the bed was huge and comfortable, ample wardrobe space and a good sized bathroom. Most importantly, it was all spotlessly clean. A lot of people have mentioned the heating in these rooms - the heating is outdated and when switched on it heats up to a furnace level very quickly, but there is a very easy solution - just pull the plug out at the wall like we did!

We didn't have breakfast included in our deal and didn't choose to try it as it seemed to be a continental style affair and seemed a little pricey at $22 each. There are several places just a short walk outside the hotel where you can grab breakfast - Moonstruck is good, and a short walk towards Times Square will take you past many cafes/street vendors as well.

The hotel advertises a happy hour in their bar - we did try this one night, but the area is devoid of atmosphere and wasn't frequented by many people so we didn't venture back. Head down Madison to Mulligan's Irish bar - great beer,good atmosphere and also very, very good food.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. On East 38th Street you are a short walk from wherever you need to go in NYC to see the sights - Empire State on West 34th, Times Square on 42nd, Macy's, Grand Central etc. We found the staff to be genial and helpful when we asked for directions/advice, and the hotel was always clean. We would have no problem returning to this hotel in the future - providing we got a good price for it, as previously stated, I wouldn't have wanted to pay any more than we did. The rooms could do with an update - the TVs are the old CRT models and a change of carpet/wallpaper would improve things a great deal. I also think that the hotel should provide free wifi, or at least reduce their rates as they were too high.

In short - if you are going to New York and want a hotel in a good location that is clean, functional, and you are getting it at a good deal - then go for the Jolly Madison. We were only in the room to sleep - there was too much to do during the day to spend it in the hotel, but if you are looking for something with a little more style and luxury then you need to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Probably avoid the 'standard' rooms as these are the older rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank colinsgal
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I only had a couple of days in Manhattan and this Hotel provided a great location to base ourselves to see what we wanted and as a bonus the room was very nice and the concierge couldn't have been more helpful when we checked out in looking after our bags, arranging a cab and getting us on our way at their busiest time. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in walking distance of all the sights in midtown!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James1811
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We found the rooms shabby and needed updating however the bathroom was lovely. The room was clean and comfortable.
The staff on reception didnt come across very friendly especially when we wanted to change one of our rooms because it was cold. Also on checking out they didn't even ask if we'd enjoyed our stay, we just handed in our keys and they said we were ok to go. The bell boys however were lovely and would always chat.
The hotel was in a brilliant location because it was close by to a lot of places and attractions and we found we could walk almost anywhere.
Across the road on the corner theres a place called moonstruck which was reasonably priced and we ate there a few times for either breakfast or dinner.

If I would return to NYC i'd stay here again if it was a cheaper option but I would not rush back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at other hotels on previous visits to New York I was a bit dubious about this one having read some of the bad reviews but there was no need as the hotel was great! The staff were very pleasant and friendly and the rooms were clean to a high standard every day.
The rooms themselves aren't particularly spacious but they were big enough for what we needed (we stayed for 5 nights in a standard room), as we didn't come to New York to spend all day in our hotel, we only used it for the bed!
Also, the toiletries provided by the hotel were useful as it meant I dodnt have to use my own showercap which I could then bring home. I don't know why people are moaning about the hotel toiletries, don't you take things like that with you in holiday?!
The location of this hotel was also great, its 4 blocks away from Grand Central Terminal, where you can get the subway to pretty much anywhere! Its also about a 7 minute walk to Macy's which comws in useful as the hotel doesn't offer free wifi and Macy's does!
Anyway I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and we will definitely be staying there on our next trip.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grace H
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I ended up booking this room through a hotwire deal, so I didn't know we'd be staying here until after it was over. After reading the reviews, I was really quite nervous, but the hotel was better than expected. Two of us were staying for 3 nights, the check in process was easy and the location couldn't be beat.

The room was fair sized and at first glance seemed great, but when you looked more in detail and spent more time there it was not all that great. The heating system made the room really really hot all the time, we basically had to turn it off at night. It also made terrible clanking sounds periodically that were scary enough to wake me up in the night. The toilet was also incredibly loud. The shower didn't have a door, so water got everywhere. Also the hair dryer worked for about 2 minutes tops. The TV was also tiny and poor quality.

However, it's not all bad. Our room was clean, it wasn't noisy and was cleaned by staff every day and toiletries and towels were always replenished. We didn't spend much time in the room, we were going all day and night, so I had a good stay here.

I think for the price I got for this room it was great, because the location can't be beat. However, I would only book this through an online deal, if I'd paid full price I would have been very unhappy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have just returned from spending 5 nights in this hotel. Can't complain about the check in as we arrived early and were given our room straight away. Certainly didn't have any problems with the staff or door man either.
We didn't pay a fortune for the hotel so weren't expecting the Ritz! The room was very clean and was cleaned daily by the maids. Other than that the rooms are very tired and would benefit from a bit of a refurb. We had a heater in our room which we were able to control ourselves. Was a bit on the noisy side though.
At the end of the day we didn't spend that long in the room for it to be a problem...too busy out and about seeing the sights (after all that's what you go to New York for isn't it). Two pieces of advice I would give though is a) get some ear plugs...it's known as the city that doesn't sleep for a reason and if your on the front it can be noisy for most of the night, and b) take a small travel kettle and provisions as they don't provide tea and coffee making stuff. I'm glad we had read this before we went.
All in all for our first trip to New York it wasn't a bad experience.

• Stayed: February 2014