“Value for Money”

NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
Ranked #397 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I almost wanted to put 3 stars for this hotel as actually it is very shabby, the reception staff are all grumpy and unfriendly. But, for the price we paid (just under £90.00 a night for 2) and the location it felt like good value in New York.

The rooms are small although wardrobe was a useful space with some drawers inside it. the bathroom was clean and the shower strong. There were several marks and scuffs over the walls and both bedside table lamps had broken shades, the heating was noisy but did work (important as it was freezing outside).

We found the bellboy/concerige really friendly, there were 2, Roy and someone else - they were both really nice to us. The reception staff though were distinctly unfriendly, in fact 1 girl gave a hard time to one of the bellboys in front of other people, quite embarrassing.

However, the location is great, moments from Grand Central Stations - 15 minutes walk from Times Square and Madison Gardens. Really close to 5th Avenue and Broadway so great for shopping. I'd recommend based on location and price but don't pay for Breakfast - go to dinners and shops around and don't expect to have a wonderful greeting or leaving..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,795)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hotel was really old fashioned and definitely needs updating!

The room was on the 9th floor and was tiny with just enough space to walk around the kingsize bed, but it was very clean. The walls are VERY thin. I mean, we could hear the guests next door to us whole conversations when they were just talking at normal volume.

The bathroom was spotless, no faults there although the toilet kept filling to the top with water and we were always scared it was about to overflow.

The heating system:
We were there from 28th Jan-3rd Feb and it was bitterly cold, however the heating didn't ever seem to find a happy medium.
One moment it was ploughing out ice cold air conditioning to the point we were wearing as many layers inside as we were outside, and then the next minute it would churn out hot air so we would have to quickly peel a few layers off.

Minifridge (as they always are) was very expensive
$4 for a tiny bottle of water, however just around the corner on Madison Ave opposite Dunkin' Donuts there is a little supermarket type shop selling 2L water for less than a dollar so we were just going there for drinks and snacks and using the fridge in the hotel room to cool them.

Breakfast!!
On arrival, it was explained to us that breakfast was included in our price and it was between 7:30-10am.
The first few days we didn't go but one day we had some time to kill in the morning so we just thought we'd try it out.
On the door of the breakfast room, the hostess told us that it actually wasn't included in the price but it was a continental buffet service and was $9. For this price we couldn't complain so we decided to give it a go.
What a bad decision!
The 'buffet' consisted of a few slices of bread/bagels that you toasted in the machine, a couple of dry croissants and some yoghurts and fruit.
You can also ask the chef for bacon and eggs if you wish. I thought I might aswell take the bacon and eggs if I'm already paying for it in the buffet and I had this with a bagel.
My boyfriend had 1 slice of toast and a yoghurt.
Once we had finished they brought over the bill and it was in excess of $60!
We then had gratuity to pay on top, of course!
So for 1 slice of toast and a yoghurt it cost over $30!
Safe to say we didn't go to breakfast at the hotel again!

Staff at the hotel were okay, didn't speak to them much so can't really form a judgement on them but you can't help but notice how everybody you come across is somehow trying to make a dollar off you! (Typical of NY in general though to be fair, not just this hotel)

In walking distance of most touristy things so can't fault the location.

And would come back here again in the future as it was just a base for us to stay at nights as during the day there is so much going on that you're never really in the hotel itself.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is my second stay and second review for the hotel. I was travelling again for business and scored another great, albeit, blind deal through hotwire. I was nervous all over again as you don't want to get any of the floors below the 14th but given a little gratuity with the lovely concierge, I was placed on the 15th floor. Full amenities, with in room coffee and tea service as well as a fridge.

The beds were not as comfortable as my last stay, but the room was perfectly clean and the iron was in excellent working condition. I had a kettle that wasn't working but was switched out in a timely manner.

Would stay again - but only on 14th floor and up!

Room Tip: Be good to your concierge - they hold all the power to grant you a so-so room or a great room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank JaclynMore
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Honestly this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in - it should be called Fawlty Towers!
Staff were the rudest I have ever come across. Everything was charged extra - breakfast would be $23 for continental - ridiculous when you can pop across the road and 2 of you can eat for that price!
Apart from the bathroom, rooms were the shabbiest I have ever seen. We had to change our first room as it had a tiny little window and was dark and depressing. Rooms were stuffy with no controls in each room to allow you to adjust.
Apart from the location I would not recommend this hotel. Pay a tiny bit extra and you can stay at a much better hotel - believe me it's worth it!

2  Thank CMAnon
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and had booked the hotel as part of a package with flights through British Airways. We were booked into a standard room and for the price we paid as part of our package I was happy enough with it - I certainly would not want to pay any more. The standard room we had was on the 11th floor - clearly the older part of the building as the carpet and general décor is in need of a tidy up. That being said, the room was more than adequate for our needs: the bed was huge and comfortable, ample wardrobe space and a good sized bathroom. Most importantly, it was all spotlessly clean. A lot of people have mentioned the heating in these rooms - the heating is outdated and when switched on it heats up to a furnace level very quickly, but there is a very easy solution - just pull the plug out at the wall like we did!

We didn't have breakfast included in our deal and didn't choose to try it as it seemed to be a continental style affair and seemed a little pricey at $22 each. There are several places just a short walk outside the hotel where you can grab breakfast - Moonstruck is good, and a short walk towards Times Square will take you past many cafes/street vendors as well.

The hotel advertises a happy hour in their bar - we did try this one night, but the area is devoid of atmosphere and wasn't frequented by many people so we didn't venture back. Head down Madison to Mulligan's Irish bar - great beer,good atmosphere and also very, very good food.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. On East 38th Street you are a short walk from wherever you need to go in NYC to see the sights - Empire State on West 34th, Times Square on 42nd, Macy's, Grand Central etc. We found the staff to be genial and helpful when we asked for directions/advice, and the hotel was always clean. We would have no problem returning to this hotel in the future - providing we got a good price for it, as previously stated, I wouldn't have wanted to pay any more than we did. The rooms could do with an update - the TVs are the old CRT models and a change of carpet/wallpaper would improve things a great deal. I also think that the hotel should provide free wifi, or at least reduce their rates as they were too high.

In short - if you are going to New York and want a hotel in a good location that is clean, functional, and you are getting it at a good deal - then go for the Jolly Madison. We were only in the room to sleep - there was too much to do during the day to spend it in the hotel, but if you are looking for something with a little more style and luxury then you need to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Probably avoid the 'standard' rooms as these are the older rooms
3  Thank colinsgal
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I only had a couple of days in Manhattan and this Hotel provided a great location to base ourselves to see what we wanted and as a bonus the room was very nice and the concierge couldn't have been more helpful when we checked out in looking after our bags, arranging a cab and getting us on our way at their busiest time. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in walking distance of all the sights in midtown!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James1811
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We found the rooms shabby and needed updating however the bathroom was lovely. The room was clean and comfortable.
The staff on reception didnt come across very friendly especially when we wanted to change one of our rooms because it was cold. Also on checking out they didn't even ask if we'd enjoyed our stay, we just handed in our keys and they said we were ok to go. The bell boys however were lovely and would always chat.
The hotel was in a brilliant location because it was close by to a lot of places and attractions and we found we could walk almost anywhere.
Across the road on the corner theres a place called moonstruck which was reasonably priced and we ate there a few times for either breakfast or dinner.

If I would return to NYC i'd stay here again if it was a cheaper option but I would not rush back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends