“Outstanding!!”

Ranked #381 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have recently returned from NYC, where I stayed at Jolly Madison for 10 nights.
They were brilliant when we arrived. I told them it was my birthday and got upgraded to a deluxe room at no extra cost. The room was wonderful, very clean and roomy. The bathroom had a lovely deep bath, just what is needed after a hard days touring.
I had read previous reviews and had been worried what to expect, but the hotel and staff were outstanding.
I would definitely recommend booking this hotel, very convenient to local attractions; Empire State, Times Square, Grand Central etc.
I would certainly stay there again if I ever travelled back to New York.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank teresa c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed here for business in February for 4 nights. The room was adequate for my requirements. It was cited as a superior room, but unsure what the differences would be between levels. I presume the room size.
It was quite a sizeable room by NY standards, but the hotel & room were a little tired, and would benefit from a refurb. I was surprised to see that this hotel was part of the NH chain, as many of their European hotels offer a better quality of decor and comfort.
The room was noisy due to traffic noise, but I think this is the case with most NY hotels unless they have super double glazing.

The breakfast buffet was over priced, especially given the more affordable options close to the hotel, even with the $4 discount if you book in advance.
The wiFi costs were expensive, and even my check in clerk advised to go to coffee shops for their free wiFi than pay for their service.
When I attempted to buy a session the service kept kicking me out before I could even pay.

I had a problem at check out with their card machine unable to print my card receipt, this was solved eventually with a promise to email me the receipt, which they did.

Despite the hotels short comings it was in a nice safe and central location, and did the job for somewhere to rest at night. With so many lodging options with New York I probably won't return, but good to have experienced and add to the list of cheaper options.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great place and wonderful location. I felt like we were the only English speaking guests in the hotel. Great bathrooms and location however, tube televisions and mini bar are a bit dated. Once we realized it is a European chain hotel we understood the great price and habitants. Wonderful for price and location.

Room Tip: When you want to see NYC on the cheap. This is your place.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon S
Diss, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We got this hotel as part of a very good flight and hotel deal through Expedia. Due to the price, we didn't expect much and the hotel came down to our expectations. The location is ideal for exploring mid town and beyond (only a 5 minute walk to Grand Central Station) and there are plenty of bars and eating places nearby.

Although the hotel was clean, the decor on our floor (6th) and room was quite shabby and neglected. Tiles were coming off in the bathroom and holes could be seen where some appliance or other had been removed from the walls. The bed was a king size and just adequate, clean sheets, but a repair on the bedspread. We stayed a week and the room was serviced each day and fresh towels were available, if required.

The main gripes have been mentioned in previous reviews - old, out of date t.v.s with awful picture, no tea or coffee making facilities and no free wi-fi. In fact we couldn't get the wifi to work due, in the staff's opinion, because it was a holiday and very busy. If you want free wi-fi, go to Dunkin' Doughnuts opposite and buy a coffee (or stand outside, as we did!).

The room was quite noisy, as we faced Madison Avenue, but you expect that in NYC, so we took earplugs! We didn't do breakfast as the recommended Moonstruck diner opposite has an excellent brunch menu and reasonable prices.

The staff were pretty good. The chambermaids were pleasant and the desk staff were helpful when necessary (they sent engineer up to room to try to fix TV, sent up extra pillow and phoned airport shuttle to confirm our reservation).

Overall an average hotel in an excellent location and I would recommend it if the price is reasonable or if they update their facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor as this is where the ice machine room is and could have a high footfall.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mitchdiss2016
Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Short review: Clean, safe, would stay here again.

Long review: I booked this hotel on Hotwire and was verrrrry anxious after reading the reviews. So much I was willing to lose the cash spent on the three night stay. Thankfully I didn't have to do that. This hotel is clean, safe and centrally located. Yes it could stand to be updated, but who cares when all you need is a place to sleep and not entertain. At $75/night in Midtown you can't complain. I'm a very independent traveler and don't use the concierge and front desk much after check-in. I didn't get the breakfast, there's a Dunkin Donuts around the corner. A Duane Reade is a block away. And there are loads of cabs to whisk you to wherever you need to go. Fear not, but don't expect bells and whistles here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lhamilt77
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice for work in February. You have to pay extra for Internet, which is annoying. Also breakfast is expensive. Rooms and hotel overall very tired looking. Rooms on small side with older furnishings. Location is excellent, easy to get to grand central station, Empire State Building.

• Stayed February 2014
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

If you are just looking for a base then this hotel is perfect...it is central to everything & from our room we could see the Empire State Building. It was a fairly basic room..a little dated...massive comfy bed thou & very clean. The room was cleaned every day which was lovely. No tea/coffee facilities but Dunkin do-nuts is across the road. We didn't go for the breakfast option either as for $18 you just get a continental breakfast. Could get much more for less elsewhere.

Would make it a better stay if WiFi was free and they didn't charge for the TV...Altho we didn't have the time to watch it.

As you can imagine being in Midtown the noise outside is constant and the windows didn't do much to drown it out so earplugs at night are a very good investment :)

Would I stay again? Yes I think I would. If the price is right.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends