“Customer service needs improvment.”

NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
Ranked #387 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Avondale, Arizona
“Customer service needs improvment.”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Called to verify reservations that had been made prior to trip. A total of 11 persons were traveling and 4 rooms with 2 beds in each room were needed. Well to make a long story short they has us booked for 3 persons per bed!!!! I had to call their central booking who were not able to accommodate us. We had to change hotels at a higher fee. Will never book here again. Hopefully we won't have any problems with our new booking. Vacation will begin in May.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elisa F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sussex
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This hotel was adequate for our requirements owing to it's location, which is why we chose it. The bed was comfortable, however only a sheet & one blanket is offered and the weather was bitterly cold. There is a heater/a/c in the room which wasn't explained to us & was spasmodic at best..There is building work going on across the street & on the board it expects it to be finished by fall 2014. Currently it starts about 5.30 and doesn't finish until approx 10,30pm 6 days a week and it's pretty loud. Hotel staff appeared totally unaware when we mentioned it! We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as we were happy to eat out, but the prices are very high compared to other outlets. The staff are as friendly as they need to be to get a tip-funnily enough when we arrived two staff members were discussing tips-even with one saying how much he made that day. Then on the day of departure the same guy was discussing the same subject with another member. Save it for the staff quarters please, not what guests want or need to listen to!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked our NYC hotel stay at Jolly Madison only because NH Hotels sent us a special offer, which we used. For the price, it is OK. Not terrible, not terrific.

When we arrived, the front desk person had the room rate incorrect ($49 MORE per night than our written confirmation). He never did change the rate, but because we elected to upgrade at a charge of $49 per night, he deleted the upgrade charge so the rate would be what was confirmed.

After reading all of the reviews of this property, I am wondering what a non-upgraded room would be like, since the upgraded room (we were in Room 1755) was good but not great. Again, for the price, there are many other great choices.

Several people mentioned the terrific location of this hotel, which is accurate. The hotel is located in such a place as to access numerous NYC attractions and restaurants quite conveniently.

Even with a special offer, in our next NYC visit we will probably go to another hotel. NYC has so many terrific hotel offerings that this one has nothing special to offer. Besides the terrific view from Room 1755, there was nothing about the room or services that is anything but three stars.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room. If you don't, you will probably be writing reviews similar to what th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LV_Lee
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The only reason i am not giving the hotel a 5 star is because they do not offer free wifi!
Other than that i can not fault this hotel one bit! Reception area is lovely and welcoming and the staff were brill! - rooms are clean and bathrooms really nice!
The location is perfect i would definitely stay at this hotel if i go back..
Recomended :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel C
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have recently returned from NYC, where I stayed at Jolly Madison for 10 nights.
They were brilliant when we arrived. I told them it was my birthday and got upgraded to a deluxe room at no extra cost. The room was wonderful, very clean and roomy. The bathroom had a lovely deep bath, just what is needed after a hard days touring.
I had read previous reviews and had been worried what to expect, but the hotel and staff were outstanding.
I would definitely recommend booking this hotel, very convenient to local attractions; Empire State, Times Square, Grand Central etc.
I would certainly stay there again if I ever travelled back to New York.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank teresa c
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed here for business in February for 4 nights. The room was adequate for my requirements. It was cited as a superior room, but unsure what the differences would be between levels. I presume the room size.
It was quite a sizeable room by NY standards, but the hotel & room were a little tired, and would benefit from a refurb. I was surprised to see that this hotel was part of the NH chain, as many of their European hotels offer a better quality of decor and comfort.
The room was noisy due to traffic noise, but I think this is the case with most NY hotels unless they have super double glazing.

The breakfast buffet was over priced, especially given the more affordable options close to the hotel, even with the $4 discount if you book in advance.
The wiFi costs were expensive, and even my check in clerk advised to go to coffee shops for their free wiFi than pay for their service.
When I attempted to buy a session the service kept kicking me out before I could even pay.

I had a problem at check out with their card machine unable to print my card receipt, this was solved eventually with a promise to email me the receipt, which they did.

Despite the hotels short comings it was in a nice safe and central location, and did the job for somewhere to rest at night. With so many lodging options with New York I probably won't return, but good to have experienced and add to the list of cheaper options.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great place and wonderful location. I felt like we were the only English speaking guests in the hotel. Great bathrooms and location however, tube televisions and mini bar are a bit dated. Once we realized it is a European chain hotel we understood the great price and habitants. Wonderful for price and location.

Room Tip: When you want to see NYC on the cheap. This is your place.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple