“Friendly staff”

Ranked #385 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Alexandria, Minnesota
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My travel group (of 4 women) picked the Jolly Madison based on a decent location and the price. It was the cheaper of the hotels in the midtown part of Manhattan. Though the hotel wasn't necessarily the cleanest or most updated, it was comfortable. The rooms were much bigger than I was expecting. We arrived via a shuttle to Grand Central Station and walked the 4 blocks to the hotel. (We jumped on a shuttle service that was no way affiliated with the hotel and regretted the ride) We weren't able to check in but the concierge stored our bags for us and the front desk suggested we grab lunch at the end of the block at the Moonstruck Cafe. We arrived back later that night and there was some mix up with our booking but was easily resolved by upgrading our rooms at no extra cost from twin beds to doubles in one room and a king suite in the other. Our only request we made was that the rooms be relatively close. We were all on the same floor. Being that we weren't used to city noises, we could definitely hear all of the sirens, horns and trucks driving by most of the night. We came prepared though with earplugs. The first night was the worst but every night after we had been so tired from touring the city that none of us heard noise. One day we were surprised that a parade was staging right outside our hotel. We opened our hotel windows and were listening to the marching bands from a few stories up.

The staff was very knowledgeable about restaurants, transportation and advice on what to see and how long to expect waits and distances to sights. We weren't looking for any sort of perks to the room. We were mostly there to just sleep and shower. We appreciated the bag drop and the location above all else. The beds were very firm and there wasn't much for actual bedding but there were extra blankets in our closet. We didn't use the TV or the mini fridge.

On our departure the concierge arranged for us to take a town car to the airport for $78 (we paid $16pp on the crappy shuttle in to the city so we were more than willing to take a nice car ride for $20pp) When we arrived back at the hotel to retrieve our luggage, we had a limo waiting instead. We were pretty excited to ride in style for the same price of a town car. I really felt like the staff took care of us while we stayed. When it comes to just needing a place to sleep and feel like you are in a secure and friendly place, this was totally worth the price.

Room Tip: The street noise was easily heard from the 4th floor but the rooms had good sized bathrooms and the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank travels_with_elle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I will start by saying the hotel was located in a nice location, we were close to everything. The bad was they have the hardest beds I have ever slept on. I have stayed at a super 8 with nicer beds. The TV in the room looked like it was 20 years old. The picture was so bad you couldn't even watch it. It was 40 degrees outside and we had to have the a/c on high in the room because the hotel was so hot. The service wasn't great, everybody seemed to have an attitude. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnie R

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great location and quick, efficient check-in and out process. very nice bathroom with a powerful shower. Also good that there was a space to leave my baggage on the day I checked out so that I could go sightseeing. However, no free wifi, unlike the other hotels I stayed in on my trip and it would have been very expensive to buy!! Also, the decor in the room was a little dated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

1 Thank iainmac487
Staveley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights end of Feb into March, i arrived after a long transfer from JFK (Shuttle buses arent worth it pay the little bit extra for taxi with a set fare!)
The receptionist was very helpful offered me a room with a lovely view of The Empire State Building. The room was a good size with King bed & mini fridge (which i didn't use as bit expensive for the items) They do need to update the TV as its a huge bulky CRT style & takes up a lot of promence in the room. The bathroom & Housekeeping were always clean & tidy everyday. There was always someone on duty at the reception & out in view along with the doormen, very helpful in storing my luggage before i departed. They helped in reccomending lots of different places to eat & visit. I was alos looking for a bar that showed the English Priemer League which they reccomended a different couple of bars that would show it & also one that was 2 blocks down cna't remember the name of it but it was an Australian Bar it was showing all sorts of different sports i couldn't hear my game (as they show the US games mainly) but at least i could see it
I didn't use the restaurant for breakfast was far too expensive for a contential breakfast when you can go to a variety of diners which i did.
There was a fire drill on my 1st night at 4am!! But wasn't too bothered really as i got to meet some of the FDNY!!!
The location was Fab just a couple of blocks from everything, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building I found a lot of nice littel shops on my travels as i mainly walked everywhere.
This is my 3rd time in NYC & I would stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank sueuk2012
Washington, Virginia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

It is surprising with what hotels in NYC get away with. This hotel should not be allowed to operate anymore. Wallpaper peeling, bad smell in the room, bedding with wool blankets which were cleaned ages ago, dangerous, broken electrical outlets and light switches, broken lampshades, stained carpet, elevators for which you wait an eternity. Add to this dark rooms, no drinking glasses in bathroom, smelly towels - why would anyone want to experience allthis?

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gastinau
Tokyo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My colleague is quite good in finding a value for money hotel. He did not disappoint me this time again. The hotel is walking distance to all of my business visits and is reasonably priced. It locates few blocks from the Grad Central Station. Of course, there are reasons why this centrally located hotel is carrying modest price tag. Small room ( I was upgarded but still small but this is Manhattan ), rather old looking from outside ( inside is better ) etc. But I feel I get more than I paid. I would recommend this hotel for value concious business travellers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
derbyshire
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to new york so wasn't sure what to expect. We booked the hotel from British airways, and booked 2 superior rooms. The rooms was very dated. One was overlooking the back so nothing to see but one looked over the Empire State Building. We went down to ask if they was superior rooms and they said yes they were even though when we looked online when we booked they looked totally different. and it turns out they was standard rooms so currently getting a refund for the difference. I wouldn't recommend eating there $22 for breakfast per person is a bit steep for some pastries, but if you turn left out of the hotel there's a great restaurant called the moonstruck we ate there every morning and even took a takeaway back to the room one night. Location is great 1 block from 5th avenue (if you like your designers) or 3 blocks from Times Square, about 5 mins walk to Empire State Building, and grand central station. About 20 mins walk to Central Park. If you want to do the bus tour go to Times Square get on the downtown one then you can hop on or off in all the attractions for 24 hours technically ours ran out at 10am but we still got on and off it the didn't check the actually ticket just looked to see if you had one. At Times Square next to the steps you can get half price broadway tickets, but you have to go early and queue. And don't forget if you go to macys take your passport and go to the information kiosk and you get a 10% voucher off. I would stay at this hotel again as long as we get the room we had payed for.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends