“A&M, Glasgow, UK”

Ranked #387 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, UK
“A&M, Glasgow, UK”
Reviewed 3 February 2007

Stayed at Jolly Hotel Madison for 5 nights in January. Was a bit worried due to the reviews I had read on this site, however, I was pleasantly surprised! I've been to New York twice before and this has to be the best location I've stayed yet. The hotel was clean and the staff more than curteous and very helpful. To my delight, we had a view of the Empire State Building from our room. New York hotels are well known for being on the small side, and this hotel was infact better than I've stayed in before. The bed was massive and there was adequate room for 2 people in a double room, especially for the amount of time you actually spend there. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. There was a great little diner across the road called Moonstruck which opened really early and closed really late. My only complaint would be that I could sometimes smell cigarette smoke when walking throught the corridors to our room. When we were checking out of the hotel we were offered the services of the hotel limo to take us to the airport, which was $65, probably about the same as a taxi. Overall, a great holiday, and when I return the next time I'll definitely be staying at the Jolly Hotel Madison.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from street below, but it is New York
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank anneb78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
OHIO
Reviewed 30 January 2007

A Friend and I stayed here and were both were very impressed with the place. The staff was friendly and the hotel exceeded my expectations by far. The place was immaculate and so beautiful upon entrance. I am the type to be very picky about cleanliness...I look behind things and in corners, and I did not see any dirt anywhere. I can't wait to go back to NYC with my husband and we will most certainly stay at Jolly Madison. You can't beat the price, location and the quality.

• Liked — CLEAN AND VERY ACCOMMIDATING DOORMEN
  • Disliked — THEIR ROOMS ARE ONLY LARGE ENOUGH FOR TWO SO CAN'T TAKE FAMILY
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank RUNABOUT919
New England
Reviewed 29 January 2007

Stayed here just this past weekend (Friday-Saturday). The service was excellent & the staff polite. The room was small but we got everything we asked for - clean, non-smoking room with king sized bed. Plus a cool view of the street below (not a dumpster or alleyway). We had driven into the city so the staff parked our car in a nearby garage as soon as we arrived. And when we left later the next day, our bags, which had been in storage because we needed to checkout before noon, were neatly placed & hung in the car. Even the car itself was warmed up (it was a sub zero weekend). I would definitely return to this hotel. It was small overall but it certainly exceeded my expections (I often stay at five star hotels) & served us well. I also loved the fact that we were able to walk to just about everywhere we needed to be (i.e. theater) If you are looking for grand, your best bet is to look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a cheap, comfortable, clean place to hang your hat after a busy day in the Big Apple, this is it.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Megan B
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 21 January 2007

I stayed here 3 times already, i worked for JollyHotels in Europe so i always got Staffrate and a nice room with a good view !

The perfect location for a stay in NYC, im going to New York again at the end of February 2007, unfortunially i dont work for Jolly anymore and the normal rate is too expensive for me ! Maybe the still offer me a better rate, we will see !

I would recommend this hotel to my friends and would stay there any time again ! It is also worth a stay at a normal rate. Look at my pics to get some impessions of this hotel,

• Stayed February 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank floseimann
Boston
Reviewed 18 January 2007

We booked our rooms on priceline for a long weekend stay in NYC. I was nervous due to some reviews I had read online about problems at this hotel. I have been to Italy and figured since they were an Italian chain I would be ok with a small room, etc.
We checked in and one of our rooms was a good size room, a view down to the street with a giant dumpster ( I can deal with this after all it's NY ) The room across the hall was cramped, dark and dingy. In other reviews people said the bathrooms were nice. Not the case, there was mold on the tiles and did not feel clean never mind look clean.
The bed was like a banana, a full bed for two to sleep on. We asked to be moved and the staff was very rude. I was down in the lobby and overheard many italians checking in and they seemed to get much better service from the staff. We asked twice to be moved to one of the renovated rooms and were told they were booked. Finally we were offered a room but would have to pay another $150.00 per night.
There was no room service menu, although it states online they have it I never saw it. There is no gym or workout room, we had to pay $25.00 a day to go to a gym close by.
The carpets in the hallways and rooms were peeling themselves up as if they were begging to be removed.
We left a day early abandoned 2 fully paid rooms, pricelined from the lobby for two more rooms and finished our stay at the Sheraton Towers in times square. I have NEVER left a hotel before. Don't stay here! The sheraton was soooo nice after being at the Jolly.

• Liked — The bar downstairs did look very nice, we did not have time to go to it.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank dmprin

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

England
Reviewed 18 December 2006

having stayed here for 5 nights we got a good look at this hotel and its facilities. This hotels biggest selling point is location in the centre of mid town new york, walking distance to all attractions. But on arrival we found the no smoking room we ordered stank of smoke (prob filtering from the air con unit). The room is small but then so are all the rooms in new york. the air con unit looked like it was from the 70's, was very load and had to leave it on allday to feel any benifit.
The bar area is very dark and very quiet. only had one drink and was informed by staff it was not the best place to go for drinks in new york. same applies for the resturant. but then there is plenty of places on your doorstep.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of space
  • Tips/Secrets — look else where unless one night stay
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wideboy_uk
NYC
Reviewed 5 December 2006

I actually stay at this hotel quite often but only because it really is very convenient for my purposes. Otherwise the con's outweigh the Pro's.
Pros:
-The Deluxe rooms are beautiful if you can afford them
-Food at the restaurants is delicious
-You can hear live jazz at the bar
-extremely convenient to all midtown locations
-very easy to get a cab outside
-rooms usually clean, no bathtub mold, clean smell, I have never seen any insects
-I find the beds comfortable, but I like hard beds!
-hotel is mostly quiet
-you can get really good last minute rates

NOW
For the Cons:
-Standard rooms are ridiculously small, like when you sit in the bathroom you feel like everyone in the hall can hear you!
-The Standard and Superior rooms are just too darn dark.
-the room decor with the hideous orange florentino bedspread is depressing
-a request for extra towels can take an hour or usually they never arrive
-staff is really rude as people say. even though I am a frequent client, I never get a "hi, how are you".
-Its true that they treat Italians better. My first time there, my room was not ready. There was also three Italians whose room was also not ready. They were invited to sit in the lounge and were given a free drink. I was summarily ignored. anyway....
-air conditioners usually dont work or will freeze you.
-if you find a room at a really really cheap rate, its usually next to a linen room where someone is slamming the door all night.
-mini-bars are not cold enough and alot of the snacks are outdated!
-Often TV's and radios have horrible reception
-In the morning, you had better put up your "do not disturb" sign because the guy who refills the mini-bars POUNDS on your door and doesnt give you a second to respond before he barges in.
-If you book a Superior, be wary as they will stick you in a Standard and charge you the same price!

I think its 50/50 how your own trip will go.

• Stayed December 2006