“Marriott East side Midtown Lexington between 48/49”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #279 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just came back from riding out Sandy in midtown; which was a lucky place to be. every bit of Manhattan south of 39th had no power, it's just coming back on now 4 days later. It is a dire situation at all the coastal regions and yet walking around midtown 2 days later there is very little evidence of problems except the horrendously slow traffic due to the major subways lines still being under water and also tree limbs being cleared up; on the streets, the parks are closed.
Our hearts go out those in all the states affected and we wish for a speedy recovery.
We had a flood of our own in the room the 1st night as we were settling into bed; we love to travel but it is physically grueling. The toilet sounded funny and when I went in to see what the noise was it started overflowing. I know how to fix a toilet, so I took off the cover and the trap would not stay shut; then the unit broke and the Gusher came. I called for help and they were there very quickly. he did tell me that we could not stay there because it was too wet-really flooded; so we had to pack everything up and move upstairs. We are gold elite members and they never bothered to even apologize for the inconvenience let alone do anything for us that was disappointing. What really appalled us was when we went down the next day and asked the concierge if he has a bus map . 1st he acted like we were bothering him and then he said no. I asked him what streets the buses travel crosstown and unbelievably he said, I don't know I don't take the bus. Clearly he either does not like people or has objections to working on Sunday I am not sure but he should not be in that job.
He looked it up for me on the web and told me 42nd and 57th. After I was on the street and walking toward 57th, I realized that 1/2 block away @ 49t st was the cross town bus we were inquiring about. So he looked it up and then me incorrect information-great concierge-NOT.
Afterward when I was looking through the book I rcvd from him I realized that there was both a subway and bus map in back of the book. I did get a bus map from the lady working there on wed-who greeted us before we even got to her counter. She opened the door and took it off the shelf where there were dozens of others and said that her colleague only worked Sunday and didn't know they were there-then it is a case lack of training; but to me it looks like a lack of ambition on his part. Open the door and see what tools you have to do your job when you sre sitting thee doing nothing. Interesting indeed. With the exception of the Sunday concierge I felt that all other staff we ran into we cheerful, caring, and helpful. As Gold members we are allowed to use the lounge and have fruit, beverages, yogurt and other goodies during the day and enough food to make dinner at night {membership has it's priviledges} it was lovely not to be stuck in our rooms for the duration of Monday when we could not go out on the street after 11am. Margaret during the day and Kenda at night were cheerful and helpful to everyone I saw ask them for assistance.
I love Marriott because they have the best beds and in most cases the best staff. Although we had a tiny room, it's New York and all rooms are small and expensive.This one did not disappoint overall-we really can't complain as we used points for the entire stay however we did spend a lot to get those points. Either way we would def come back here. Found Keats karaoke bar on 2nd between 44th and 45th which was a fun and welcoming spot. There are a lot of good restaurants near the hotel. Just 3 avenues from shopping on 5th and and 2 avenues from 2nd where there are a lot of Irish bars. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I went to NYC for a business conference but went a few days earlier and stayed at another hotel prior to checking in to this one. With that being said, it was great that I had a recent means of comparison for hotels and I would definitely say you get what you paid for. The Marriott was cleaner, friendlier and definitely more efficient in their check-in process compared to our other hotel. Their check-in wasn't till 4:00 pm but I checked in at noon and they already had my room ready! The front desk staff was super friendly and she made the deposit process so easy for me. The bartenders at their bar was also incredibly friendly and I never had to wait really long for my drinks. The staff at the gift shop were also very polite. The location of the hotel is terrific! It was actually great the it was a little further from the heart of Time Square and closer to the working crowd vs the tourist crowd. Overall - if I went back to NYC, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Great value for a midtown stay. Room was as advertised, clean, comfy and the location is great. Close to restaurants, shopping, etc. we stayed three nights and enjoyed our stay. I would recommend this hotel for the short weekend stay, rooms are small but are cozy. If you want a view, you need to be specific when you book, we ended up with an internal view of some brick walls which wasn't great but you get what you pay for and we got a great rate for our stay, and we spent nights in the room so it didn't matter. Some have told me that the street noise is bothersome at some NYC hotels, so we had no complaints there.

Room Tip: Call the front dest after you book online!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed here whilst on an MBA exchange programme in October. The rooms are nice and spacious, the staff are very friendly and the location is great on Lexington Avenue. The internet is really fast but also a bit costly. Overall this hotel was great and i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ismailm08
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed here as part of a wedding package so the rate of $189 was less than usual ($349). The hotel is in a great location - close to many tourist and not-so-tourist attractions. Very busy hotel with a great conscierge and porter service. Went beyond the call of duty to get us a taxi back to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nickynoo74
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed for single night as part of a package so not sure of price.

Extremely busy and crowded in reception (and outside on Lexington). Queues!

Standard room was okay but soundproofing didn't work and very noisy all night.

Breakfast was standard fayre and okay. Generally hotel looked over-worked and tired.

Having said that it is a very convenient location for this part of town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a business trip and it was perfect for the trip. The rooms are not the largest, but by New York standards they would be considered spacious.

Service was great, and the concierge services were a great help. The hotel location is probably the best reason to stay here, close to Times Square/broadway and shopping on Madison/5th Avenue... Waldorf Astoria across the road. Tube stops are also conveniently located and a number of options for meals close by.

Gladly stay here again, although the cost of staying here does make it a slightly tougher decision....

• Stayed: October 2012