“very poor concierge”

GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“very poor concierge”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I try to always stay at Marriott when travelling in the US or abroad because I have found that there is a basic service that never disappoints. This was not the case at the East Side Marriott where I recently stayed.

The disappointment for me was the concierge service upstairs-I believe the 16th floor. The evening cocktail offered Scampi or Samosas, along with cheese and stale broken water crackers. I do not eat seafood or samosas,which in my opinion are specialty dishes, so i had to go outside to the local deli and get some food. You would think a chain like the Marriott would offer something that has broader appeal such as your basic chicken or beef. That has always been the case at almost all of the Marriott chain hotels that I have stayed at where they offer a huge variety and choices, you can just about have a full meal.

An even worse experience was breakfast the next morning.Along with eggs and toast etc, they served various pastries. I took a bite into the danish-it was rock hard, must have been 3 days old.I opted for a different kind of pastry, and that was also rock hard, I figured I would try my luck for the third time but the same result.

How does a chain like the Marriott, especially in NYC, have the nerve to serve stale food? The food that was dished up to me at this Marriott was positively the worst I have ever experienced.

They will tell you that they will be opening a new concierge lounge soon. That is terrific to hear,but is no excuse for the poor and stale food choices offered at the existing concierge - you still have guests using and paying for the current concierge.

If having a concierge service is important, as it is to me,I would avoid this Marriott unless they clean up their act.There are many hotels in the same neighborhood that probably offer a better concierge, - anything has to be better than what was dished up to me at that concierge.

On a positive note, the room was fine, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room, it will probably be a room facing a wall or courtyard.
3 Thank contenttotravel
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side Hotel I would like to thank you for your recent visit and also for taking the time to give us your honest feedback. It is very important for us to receive feedbacks regarding our service and the overall quality of our hotel, as this will enable us to identify and correct areas in need of improvement.

From your feedback it seems you were satisfied with the quality of the room but disappointed with the limited amount of food offered in the Concierge and also the quality provided for breakfast. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are grateful for your patronage and look forward to serving you in the near future. We would also like to discuss these issues with you at your convenience. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance. Thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have unfortunately stayed at this hotel three times this last year and each time, I have paid an exorbitant amount for a small, dark and dreary room. This last time, last week, when I checked in, the man at the Elite desk thanked me for my loyalty in being a Gold member and said he had a nice room with a King sized bed for me. I found myself in a tiny room with a window that faced directly onto a brick wall so that in the middle of the day, the room was pitch dark and needed to have the light on just so I could find the bed. The chair was parked in the corner between the wall and the TV (the only place it would fit) and it had no lamp by it (I guess because there was no room for it) and since the overhead light was so dim, the chair was unusable for reading. The service cart was parked in front of my room all day so I had to walk around that in a narrow corridor just to get into my room. This room cost me approximately $400 per night. My team leader picks this hotel not only because he is a loyal Marriott guest and because of its location, but also because he finds the executive lounge a useful place for his team to debrief at the end of business meetings and to talk during breakfast. Too bad the executive lounge was closed and locked Friday afternoon and Saturday when we were there. The service at the bar was terrible - when the waiter at the bar did not deliver my glass of wine 20 minutes after I had ordered it, I went up to the bar and got it directly from the bartender and then the waiter got irritated at me that I had done that! And the bar was not even crowded. I travel frequently on business and stay at Marriotts all over the US and Europe and generally find them clean, convenient and pleasant, but not this Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face onto a "light" well (with no light).
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Good Morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are always eager to hear about our guest likes and dislikes regarding our service and the quality of our hotel.

From your comments, it seems your were dissatisfied with the size of the room you were checked in and the service in the bar. Please accept our apology for any invonvenience caused by this. As one of our valued customer, everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.

Our goal is to address your concerns. We would love to speak with you personally and discuss these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience. Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to serving you in the near future. Thank you.
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I frequently stay at Marriott properties and must say the staff in New York was extremely friendly. We drove into the city and valet parked definitely worth the money. The stylish lobby had limited seating which was disappointing especially around the time we were checking out because the wait was 30 min for our car. . Each day we were greeted by a jolly door man who impressed me with his friendly good morning and his stylish, official top coat. I have to agree with comments about the aged elevators. time be replaced. Our cozy room was a perfect size. located in a quiet area on a high floor. Even though the view from our window was a brick building we were not in the room during the day so we were ok. lots of outlets and good lighting. A huge disappointment was the high internet cost . really $16.95 a day. This property is in a seasoned building but kept up very well as a Marriott. overall a great stay. .

Room Tip: If you expect a view from your room be sure to ask at check in.
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Marriott Midtown is a wonderful, centrally located hotel in Midtown with easy access to everything! The room was clean and had a wonderful view of Lexington Avenue. It is in a great neighborhood and in good company with other wonderful and popular hotels. The concierge, Kimberly was the best! She made multiple arrangements for us and also had fabulous recommendations for dinner. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We loved our 4 day, 3 night stay! We will definitely be going back to this hotel when in NYC!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Eastside Marriott is a hotel I have frequented on many occasions over the past several years. It's a very average hotel in midtown. The rooms are decent size and typically clean. They could use some updating, but overall, it's a pleasant experience. The beds are comfortable, and the location is fantastic. If you are so inclined, the gym is on the top floor and offers a great view of the city.

A couple of drawbacks. The elevators can be pretty slow, I am pretty sure I have waited over 5 minutes in the morning for the lift to arrive-- not a huge deal, but an annoyance. Additionally, the hotel bar is severely overpriced. They charge a mandatory 18% gratuity on everything and the price of the drink boarder on absurdity. An decent midlevel bourbon will cost upwards of $40 (including tax and 18% gratuity)-- or roughly the same price as a bottle. If you do stay here, I recommend going across the street to the Whiskey Blue for your cocktails.

Room Tip: Bar is overpriced, go elsewhere for drinks
1 Thank Jason T
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel, I would like to thank you for your recent vist and also for taking the time to give us your honest feedback regarding our service and the overall quality of the hotel.

From your comments, it seems your main concerns were the severely overpriced drink in the lobby bar and the frequency of the elevators. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take great pride in ensuring our guest's satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations in some areas.

However, our goal is to address your concerns and improve on them to the best of our ability. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can discuss this further.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we hope to see you in the near future.
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Been coming to this property for years. Is in a great spot for midtown business and financial clients. Good concierge lounge, restaurant is ok, regular NYC prices. Elevators are slow, but what buildings have anything faster? Good prices for weekday business visits. Better than intercontinental across the street.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Conveniently located for the purpose of our trip, with rooms of adequate size for NY. I concur with other reviewers about having to wait for elevators in the morning and evening. My main complaint is regarding wifi: its only free in the lobby and outrageously expensive in rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel, I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. We are always eager to hear what you liked about our service and the quality of our hotel and how we can improve.

We will definitely discuss the issue regarding the elevators and the cost of having Wi-Fi in our rooms. Every thing we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please contact us at your convenience so we can further discuss these issues.

Once again, thank you and we hope you choose the East Side hotel the next time your travel plans brings you to the city.