“Marriott Sucks”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Marriott Sucks”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

No reward points if not booked through Marriott. Noise level in rooms unacceptable. Old facilities. Not worth the Marriott reputation and/or prices. Would not recommend this hotel. At New York prices, one certainly can find better rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqvin2
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the New York Marriott East Side hotel.

You indicated in your response that the noise level in the rooms were unacceptable and that the prices and the quality of the hotel (old) was unsatisfactory for you. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by this. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations.
However, our goal is to address your concerns. Please contact us at your convenience to further discuss these issues. You are a valued customer and we would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I booked an overnight at this Marriott for a romantic weekend. The valet was smooth when we arrived and every time we needed our car. The one challenge is the hefty 30 min required to get the car.
When we arrived our room was not ready (it was early, so no big deal). We gave our cell number and went on our way. We also gave our bags to the bell staff. When we came back later, our room was ready. Getting the bags was a challenge. We called down and after a long wait got to the general line (I guess there was no one at the bell station). I asked for my luggage which they confirmed will be sent right up. 45 min later I called again, this time spoke to the bell staff. 10 min later we got our bags.
The room itself was standard Marriott fare with a great view. One issue were the windows. They were relatively old and allowed more than a little of the noisy New York street to come in. While I would like to enjoy New York I want my room to be a haven, which it wasn't. The team was mostly top notch and looking to please and help, especially the team manning the entrance starting with the valets as well as the managers constantly looking to assist guests.
We enjoyed breakfast in the lounge which was large and well stocked.
All in all this hotel is certainly good, the team has a good attitude , but some processes and items need tweaking.
I would consider staying here again - hopefully next time the windows would me more noise resistant.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 April 2014

On April 16-19, I stayed at the New York Marriott East Side. This “four star” hotel pride themselves as a “luxury” hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have a luxury experience. After traveling for 11 hours I arrived at the hotel several hours before check-in and asked if it was possible to check-in early given that I have reservations. I was told all of the (629) rooms were booked and that I may want to contact the Wyndham Hotel or Fairfield Inn Times Square. I returned to the hotel later that afternoon and was placed in a double occupancy room with NO sunlight, views of brick buildings and water stains on the ceiling. I asked to move to another room – the second room had a view of a wall and minimal sun exposure. This room had a chain of issues that included water marks on the ceiling in the bathtub/shower, running toilet and clogged drain in the bathtub. Taking a shower was like swimming in a pool due to the poor drainage. Maintenance came to the room to “fix” the clogged drain. Maintenance later voiced that he contacted housekeeping to clean the bathtub after he unclogged the drain. After waiting for 30 minutes we contacted the front desk and asked what time housekeeping would arrive to clean the bathtub/bathroom. We were told that housekeeping was on their way. Thirty minutes later we called the front desk AGAIN to report that housekeeping had not arrived and that we wanted to retire for the day as it was 1am. We spoke with the hotel manager “Neeraj” and expressed our dissatisfaction with customer service and the hotel guest experience that started from when we attempted to check-in early. “Neeraj” apologized (as expected) and offered to provide 100 Marriott Rewards Points to compensate for the inconvenience. (Are you kidding me!? After this experience why would I want to stay at a Marriott hotel?) “Neeraj” did not offer a room change or upgrade or a reduction on the hotel bill. Housekeeping finally arrived 10 minutes after speaking with “Neeraj.”

My stay at the New York Marriott East Side was HORRIBLE. I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone visiting NYC. Given the volume of hotels in the area and the city one would think that the Marriott is aware of the fierce competition and would appreciate their guests. I previously stayed at The Benjamin (a half a block from the New York Marriott East Side) and the W Times Square – both provided first-rate customer service. Denise, JC and John (?? bald guy) were the only hotel representatives that I interfaced with at Marriott who were helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Y_KingWashington_DC
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for this feedback. I'd like to apologize for having disappointed you. We strive to show all our guests an exceptional hospitality experience. I don't believe this represents our usual standard of service.

In addition, I can empathize with you when had to face a tub drain issue at a late hour post 10pm -- you must have been fatigued after a day of enjoying New York and annoyed with the wait. I would have felt the same way.

As you mentioned, I took control of the situation and made sure a Room attendant was immediately sent to your room. Furthermore, 10k (10,000) Marriott Rewards Points, as opposed to the 100 mentioned in your post, were extended to guest for inconvenience. A room change would have definitely been an option. It was, however, not your preference, given the last hour of your call. Please note that I made sure to locate your rewards account number and to link it to your reservation.

We really value your feedback and I will go over this feedback with my team. The next time you find yourself in Manhattan and need a hotel, please feel free to send me an email or phone me so that I can personalize your upcomping say at our hotel or any other Marriott properties here in the city. It's always our pleasure to be of service.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Overall, I found the hotel to be pretty good and would stay here again.

The location is probably the best feature. Most major Manhattan destinations are walkable, plus the 4 and 6 subway trains run along Lexington and are only a few blocks away. Grand Central station is also only a reasonable walk away. The tourist crowds in this area of town aren't an issue. The hotel, and my room, appear to be clean. The staff was reasonably pleasant enough. The Lounge was probably my favorite part (for Marriott Rewards members only). The East Side had more food options than other lounges across the country and the food was quite good. On one night, I found it good enough to not even seek dinner afterwards. As is the standard, all drinks (non-alcoholic) are free and a computer is provided for guest access in the lounge.

I utilized the gym, which is on the 35th floor and does have very nice views of the city. The facility is very small but has the basics - treadmills, bikes, a few machines, and a small weight rack. It's below average, but it will suffice. If you're hotel room is below room 16, you have to transfer evelvators twice to get there (1-16, 16-32, 32 to 35).

The room itself was pretty standard, although definitly on the small side. The room I was provided had two windows, but had zero view. They looked out onto the roof/brick walls/other windows. The windows also had bars covering them, which is never a pleasant feature. I typically expect to be placed a better room than that given my long-time Platinum status.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Bretts11,

Thank you for taking time to review us, and for stayiing at the East Side. I'm happy our new M Club Lounge is to your liking. We have a introduced an enhanced food offering as as well as enhanced high speed internet in the lounge. A photo of the lounged is featured on our Facebook page. Additionally, please feel free to reach me at the hotel, ask for Neeraj, and I would be happy to personalize your upcoming stay with your room preference or in any manner that I may possibly assist. It's always our pleasure to be of service.

~ Neeraj
Mission Viejo
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This was at least the fifth time I've stayed at the Marriott East Side. It's a well maintained hotel located just far enough from Times Square to avoid the crowds, but close enough to get there within a 15 minute walk. The room was in good shape, clean and updated. I had the opportunity to use the Club M which provides snacks in the evening along with an honor bar. The food was okay...hummus, cheese, crackers and a couple of hot hor d'oeuvres. Nothing very special. The one oddity with this hotel is that the fitness center is located on the 35th floor, so I had to take the elevator down to the lobby to get on another elevator to get to the gym. But the gym is fairly well equipped. I will stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Good location, you can walk to almost anywhere from this location. Fifth ave shopping, Rockefeller Center are very close. Times Square is a small hike, but not bad. It's mostly quiet here at night, the rooms are small but cozy and decently appointed. Overall, it was a nice stay. Also, the staff are very helpful and considerate.

Stayed April 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Good location, good service, over-priced bar. Room was clean but a bit dated and the radiator was loud. Nice, small gym.

No major complaints, but there was no "wow" factor. Reasonably priced hotel, probably best for business travel and not far from Penn Station.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Marriott_East_Side, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Cait684,

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel, I would like to thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and also for taking the time to give us your honest feedback.

You indicated in your response that you had an overall pleasant stay however experienced a few disappointments. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us, so we can further discuss these issues.