“Not Up to Par...Marriott Has Fallen Off the Ladder...”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #283 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not Up to Par...Marriott Has Fallen Off the Ladder...”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at this Marriott Hotel this past weekend and there's quite a bit to write about--but first, I'll focus on the good: We drove in from the Philly area to spend the night as we went to a matinee and later on joined family for dinner. We were going to park at a garage, but after inquiring if this Marriott had parking, we took advantage. I'll tell you for the $65.00 charge for the valet parking for 24 hours, you cannot go wrong. Parking is ridiculously expensive at any garage..and don't be fooled..there is always a caveat when you see cheap prices. This deal was excellent. Another plus about the hotel--the location. We needed to get from the hotel, on 49th and Lex over to the West Side--45th between 8th and 9th. It was a great walk--about ten minutes--it would have been less if there weren't so many tourists but since I lived in NYC for many, many years, I've become a very fast walker. If you are planning to visit the city and plan an overnight stay, this location is excellent.
Also, the staff was very accommodating. We arrived a bit early and were lucky to get a room when we arrived. There is supposed to be a 30-minute window of time to get your car when you need it--I think we waited less than 10 minutes. Honestly, the staff was very amiable.
Now here is where things start to go slightly downhill......we were on the 8th floor and there was a very limited amount of elevators servicing the bottom floors--which was a pain because it seemed forever to get a lift--and when they did stop, they were full--the elevators were extremely small. Next..the room. The room was extremely clean, and the bed was, in the usual Marriott way, very comfortable. The room was on the small side, which is expected for Manhattan, but the bathroom plumbing was so noisy. After flushing the toilet, it made an additional flushing noise for about two additional minutes before stopping. Also, the water from the shower would go from hot to cold to hot to cold......Marriott--surely you can do better for a hotel that you are advertising as "luxury"...then..there is the issue with the windows. OK..so the building is old and pre-war. Fine. However when you charge upwards of $350.00 a night, the windows should stop the outside noise. Some time during the wee hours of the morning, we were awakened by the screaming of--I would say--a gang of club kids. The noise went on for a long.long time and my beauty sleep was sorely interrupted. Ummm....a 'LUXURY" hotel has windows that do not allow outside noise to interrupt the sleeping patterns of the hotel's paying guests.
The menu for room service was virtually non-existent--unless we were just not supplied with one.
I also have to add an extremely daunting issue--for the past 16 years or so, we have been faithful Marriott guests. (you can even read some very favorable reviews I've written on other Marriott hotels). We don't even think about staying at other hotels. However, we had an experience this time around that was the straw that broke the camel's back. My husband inquired as to why he didn't see our rewards points for this stay. He was informed that since we made our arrangements through an on-line discount booking service, we were not eligible for rewards points. He then checked another stay we had elsewhere and the same thing--no rewards points. He called the Marriott Customer Service and was very, very upset with the way the customer service rep spoke to him. Neither of us knew that you cannot get rewards points if you book through a third-party. I'm sure we are not the only people who were not aware of this. As such, if Marriott expects its customers who are in the rewards program, to only book through Marriott, then it is a monopoly of sorts because I never see great deals through the Marriott sites--the better deals are third-party. This prompts me to say "buh-bye" to Marriott. Too bad you lost two faithful customers..but we can find another real "luxury" hotel in the future. Sad day for me...
Thank you for reading and I hope my review was helpful in some way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jarona
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Good morning

First, on behalf of the staff at the Marriott East Side hotel, let me take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and also for taking the time to give us your honest feedback regarding our service and the overall quality of the hotel.

From your comments, it seem you had problem with both the noise from the plumbing system and also from through the windows from the outside and also that everything was not in working order upon your check in.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest's satisfaction. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations. However, our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You are one of our valued customer, everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again. Please contact me at your convenience to further discuss these issues. Thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I enjoyed my first stay at this property. The rooms are small, at least mine was and it was a Classic King room. The room is well appointed. It's an older building so I'm sure that they inherited the current room structure and if it's a historic landmark building, they may have been prevented from reconstructing the rooms. It's in a great area; a few blocks over from Rockefeller Center and blocks away from great department stores: the Flagship Saks 5th Ave., the Flagship Bloomingdales, Bergdorf & Goodman, Barney's, Niketown & Tiffany & Co. It's also close to Grand Central Station. The bed was extremely comfortable. I didn't dine at the hotel but did have breakfast at Café Metro which is a couple of blocks up the street on the corner of 51st St. & Lexington (same side of the street as the hotel). Cafe Metro has several locations in the city and has good food at very affordable prices especially, for NYC. The #6 train stops (Lexington stop) about two blocks from the hotel and it took me about 20 mins. to walk to the hotel from the Penn Station area. Paulina checked me in and was very nice.

Room Tip: My room was 2304 which was back in a cul-de-sac so I didn't hear any elevator noise or the ice m...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AJP57
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

No reward points if not booked through Marriott. Noise level in rooms unacceptable. Old facilities. Not worth the Marriott reputation and/or prices. Would not recommend this hotel. At New York prices, one certainly can find better rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqvin2
Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the New York Marriott East Side hotel.

You indicated in your response that the noise level in the rooms were unacceptable and that the prices and the quality of the hotel (old) was unsatisfactory for you. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by this. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations.
However, our goal is to address your concerns. Please contact us at your convenience to further discuss these issues. You are a valued customer and we would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.
New York, NY
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I booked an overnight at this Marriott for a romantic weekend. The valet was smooth when we arrived and every time we needed our car. The one challenge is the hefty 30 min required to get the car.
When we arrived our room was not ready (it was early, so no big deal). We gave our cell number and went on our way. We also gave our bags to the bell staff. When we came back later, our room was ready. Getting the bags was a challenge. We called down and after a long wait got to the general line (I guess there was no one at the bell station). I asked for my luggage which they confirmed will be sent right up. 45 min later I called again, this time spoke to the bell staff. 10 min later we got our bags.
The room itself was standard Marriott fare with a great view. One issue were the windows. They were relatively old and allowed more than a little of the noisy New York street to come in. While I would like to enjoy New York I want my room to be a haven, which it wasn't. The team was mostly top notch and looking to please and help, especially the team manning the entrance starting with the valets as well as the managers constantly looking to assist guests.
We enjoyed breakfast in the lounge which was large and well stocked.
All in all this hotel is certainly good, the team has a good attitude , but some processes and items need tweaking.
I would consider staying here again - hopefully next time the windows would me more noise resistant.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 April 2014

On April 16-19, I stayed at the New York Marriott East Side. This “four star” hotel pride themselves as a “luxury” hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have a luxury experience. After traveling for 11 hours I arrived at the hotel several hours before check-in and asked if it was possible to check-in early given that I have reservations. I was told all of the (629) rooms were booked and that I may want to contact the Wyndham Hotel or Fairfield Inn Times Square. I returned to the hotel later that afternoon and was placed in a double occupancy room with NO sunlight, views of brick buildings and water stains on the ceiling. I asked to move to another room – the second room had a view of a wall and minimal sun exposure. This room had a chain of issues that included water marks on the ceiling in the bathtub/shower, running toilet and clogged drain in the bathtub. Taking a shower was like swimming in a pool due to the poor drainage. Maintenance came to the room to “fix” the clogged drain. Maintenance later voiced that he contacted housekeeping to clean the bathtub after he unclogged the drain. After waiting for 30 minutes we contacted the front desk and asked what time housekeeping would arrive to clean the bathtub/bathroom. We were told that housekeeping was on their way. Thirty minutes later we called the front desk AGAIN to report that housekeeping had not arrived and that we wanted to retire for the day as it was 1am. We spoke with the hotel manager “Neeraj” and expressed our dissatisfaction with customer service and the hotel guest experience that started from when we attempted to check-in early. “Neeraj” apologized (as expected) and offered to provide 100 Marriott Rewards Points to compensate for the inconvenience. (Are you kidding me!? After this experience why would I want to stay at a Marriott hotel?) “Neeraj” did not offer a room change or upgrade or a reduction on the hotel bill. Housekeeping finally arrived 10 minutes after speaking with “Neeraj.”

My stay at the New York Marriott East Side was HORRIBLE. I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone visiting NYC. Given the volume of hotels in the area and the city one would think that the Marriott is aware of the fierce competition and would appreciate their guests. I previously stayed at The Benjamin (a half a block from the New York Marriott East Side) and the W Times Square – both provided first-rate customer service. Denise, JC and John (?? bald guy) were the only hotel representatives that I interfaced with at Marriott who were helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Y_KingWashington_DC
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for this feedback. I'd like to apologize for having disappointed you. We strive to show all our guests an exceptional hospitality experience. I don't believe this represents our usual standard of service.

In addition, I can empathize with you when had to face a tub drain issue at a late hour post 10pm -- you must have been fatigued after a day of enjoying New York and annoyed with the wait. I would have felt the same way.

As you mentioned, I took control of the situation and made sure a Room attendant was immediately sent to your room. Furthermore, 10k (10,000) Marriott Rewards Points, as opposed to the 100 mentioned in your post, were extended to guest for inconvenience. A room change would have definitely been an option. It was, however, not your preference, given the last hour of your call. Please note that I made sure to locate your rewards account number and to link it to your reservation.

We really value your feedback and I will go over this feedback with my team. The next time you find yourself in Manhattan and need a hotel, please feel free to send me an email or phone me so that I can personalize your upcomping say at our hotel or any other Marriott properties here in the city. It's always our pleasure to be of service.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Overall, I found the hotel to be pretty good and would stay here again.

The location is probably the best feature. Most major Manhattan destinations are walkable, plus the 4 and 6 subway trains run along Lexington and are only a few blocks away. Grand Central station is also only a reasonable walk away. The tourist crowds in this area of town aren't an issue. The hotel, and my room, appear to be clean. The staff was reasonably pleasant enough. The Lounge was probably my favorite part (for Marriott Rewards members only). The East Side had more food options than other lounges across the country and the food was quite good. On one night, I found it good enough to not even seek dinner afterwards. As is the standard, all drinks (non-alcoholic) are free and a computer is provided for guest access in the lounge.

I utilized the gym, which is on the 35th floor and does have very nice views of the city. The facility is very small but has the basics - treadmills, bikes, a few machines, and a small weight rack. It's below average, but it will suffice. If you're hotel room is below room 16, you have to transfer evelvators twice to get there (1-16, 16-32, 32 to 35).

The room itself was pretty standard, although definitly on the small side. The room I was provided had two windows, but had zero view. They looked out onto the roof/brick walls/other windows. The windows also had bars covering them, which is never a pleasant feature. I typically expect to be placed a better room than that given my long-time Platinum status.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Bretts11,

Thank you for taking time to review us, and for stayiing at the East Side. I'm happy our new M Club Lounge is to your liking. We have a introduced an enhanced food offering as as well as enhanced high speed internet in the lounge. A photo of the lounged is featured on our Facebook page. Additionally, please feel free to reach me at the hotel, ask for Neeraj, and I would be happy to personalize your upcoming stay with your room preference or in any manner that I may possibly assist. It's always our pleasure to be of service.

~ Neeraj
Mission Viejo
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This was at least the fifth time I've stayed at the Marriott East Side. It's a well maintained hotel located just far enough from Times Square to avoid the crowds, but close enough to get there within a 15 minute walk. The room was in good shape, clean and updated. I had the opportunity to use the Club M which provides snacks in the evening along with an honor bar. The food was okay...hummus, cheese, crackers and a couple of hot hor d'oeuvres. Nothing very special. The one oddity with this hotel is that the fitness center is located on the 35th floor, so I had to take the elevator down to the lobby to get on another elevator to get to the gym. But the gym is fairly well equipped. I will stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business