“Nice”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #280 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We recently spent a few nights at the Marriott East side. It is a very nice building, well located on Lex & 49th. Close to the 5th Avenue and a nice walk to Times Square. The rooms were a little small (understandable for an old hotel building), but who comes to NYC to stay indoors anyway? Overall it was quite a nice place to stay. The Concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a wonderful time in New York the team at this hotel were friendly and warm. Location was not ideal for where we wanted to be but thats not their fault. Gym was well equipped and at least close to the underground I do recommend for a simple stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We arrived in the City shortly before 11:30 AM and were delighted that our room was available. Check in was smooth and efficient. The room was 1536. It had three windows and was very quiet and comfortable! Location is great for sight-seeing! Staff was always friendly. Valets were prompt and kind. Highly recommend this property and will absolutely stay again!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were surprised and delighted with this hotel! The staff was so friendly and helpful; the room was very large with 2 queen size beds, two large windows, coffee maker and a large, updated bathroom with rain shower. The beds were very comfortable, too! Great location: 5 blocks from Grand Central and 4 from American Girl and 30 Rock. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kellie4561
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Extremely poor value for money at over $500 per night; no room service, not even a bottle of water in room, you can "buy from the vending machine". The 16th floor had open wiring hanging from the roof on the way to the gym; btw getting to the gym means 3 different lifts to a cramped room if you are unlucky enough to stay below the 16th floor. How could I possibly pay the same as the Marriott in Washington DC the night before? Completely ridiculous and I'll make sure no-one at our company stays there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shouldhavegonecampin
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel I would like to thank you for your concerns regarding your recent visit. From your comments, it seems you were very dissatisfied with the quality, the convenience and the cost of the room and for that we do apologize. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations.

However, our goal is to address your concerns and improve on them to the best of our ability. Please do not hesitate to contact us, at your convenience to further discuss these issues. Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to hosting you brilliantly in the near future. .

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Nice rooms. Comfy beds. Nice coffee machine in the room. Well located for business and restaurants. Friendly staff. Plenty of Hobbits and no Orcs. No elves sneaking into the room in the middle of the night looking for trouble. No dwarves. No wizards. No Bassilisk. Three point to Gryffendor. Free sorting hat. Nice lobby bar. Not too much traffic noise. A bit pricey but it was Frodo's shout so why should I care? ................................................................................................................................................................................. .............."...............................

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel was good in many ways, but it just doesn't live up to the price or the ranking of a five-star hotel. The pro's were the M-Lounge that I was allowed to use for being an Elite member. The location is excellent and it is clean inside. I found my room to be plenty large enough, with some nice updates done to the bathroom. The reviews are correct, it is very noisy, but I suspect that's hard to change without some very costly updates. It seems to be a trend for older buildings in NY. However, for over $500 a night, there just was nothing special about the service or amenities. I will say that when spoken to and asked questions, the staff was very friendly and responsive. But no one offered to take my bags, open a door, or acknowledged me with even a hello if the M-Lounge. It just doesn't have the feel of a 5-star hotel. I have been trying to decide whether to stay in the Marriott program or to start venturing out and trying hotels. I think for the prices Marriott charges, it's time for me to try other hotel brands. The perks for Marriott Rewards members are not that great, especially being a member who has their credit card too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NicFagan
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for this feedback. I'd like to apologize for having disappointed you in regards to the service provided. We pride ourselves on personalized and polished service service. I don't believe this represents our usual standard of service. I will ensure that this feedback is shared with our team. We strive to show all our guests an exceptional hospitality experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me so that I may personalize your upcoming stay.