“Not horrible, but wouldn't stay again given all of the other options in NYC”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #279 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here in December 2013. Check-in was a bit of a nightmare - the lobby is small and it was packed. In all fairness, it was the weekend prior to Christmas, but I don't think that excuses poor service. The front desk staff wasn't overly accommodating (even though I am an elite member) and when they said that my room wasn't ready, I gave them my cell number to let me know when it was. They said it would be about 2 hours, but it turned out to be 4.5 before they called me -- also after the official check-in time. When I left the hotel, I wanted to store my bags, but that took me 30 minutes because the bell staff was not attentive what-so-ever. The same thing happened when I checked out and wanted to store bags. I stayed in the executive double that has a separate sitting area from the bedroom. It was one of the more spacious hotel rooms I've stayed in in the city, but it's well worn and nothing special. Views were awful. Overall, I would not suggest staying in this hotel when there are so many other properties to chose from in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle B
Marriott E, Guest Service Erxpeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Good afternoon

On behalf of the Marriott East Side Hotel, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the service failure you experienced during your recent stay with us.

From your feedback it seems you had problem with the size of the room, unpleasant view to the outside and also that our staff did not provide proper service and communication to meet your needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and we look forward in discussing them with you at your convenience.

There are newer reviews for New York Marriott East Side

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We recently spent a few nights at the Marriott East side. It is a very nice building, well located on Lex & 49th. Close to the 5th Avenue and a nice walk to Times Square. The rooms were a little small (understandable for an old hotel building), but who comes to NYC to stay indoors anyway? Overall it was quite a nice place to stay. The Concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a wonderful time in New York the team at this hotel were friendly and warm. Location was not ideal for where we wanted to be but thats not their fault. Gym was well equipped and at least close to the underground I do recommend for a simple stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We arrived in the City shortly before 11:30 AM and were delighted that our room was available. Check in was smooth and efficient. The room was 1536. It had three windows and was very quiet and comfortable! Location is great for sight-seeing! Staff was always friendly. Valets were prompt and kind. Highly recommend this property and will absolutely stay again!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were surprised and delighted with this hotel! The staff was so friendly and helpful; the room was very large with 2 queen size beds, two large windows, coffee maker and a large, updated bathroom with rain shower. The beds were very comfortable, too! Great location: 5 blocks from Grand Central and 4 from American Girl and 30 Rock. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kellie4561
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Extremely poor value for money at over $500 per night; no room service, not even a bottle of water in room, you can "buy from the vending machine". The 16th floor had open wiring hanging from the roof on the way to the gym; btw getting to the gym means 3 different lifts to a cramped room if you are unlucky enough to stay below the 16th floor. How could I possibly pay the same as the Marriott in Washington DC the night before? Completely ridiculous and I'll make sure no-one at our company stays there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shouldhavegonecampin
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel I would like to thank you for your concerns regarding your recent visit. From your comments, it seems you were very dissatisfied with the quality, the convenience and the cost of the room and for that we do apologize. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations.

However, our goal is to address your concerns and improve on them to the best of our ability. Please do not hesitate to contact us, at your convenience to further discuss these issues. Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to hosting you brilliantly in the near future. .

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Nice rooms. Comfy beds. Nice coffee machine in the room. Well located for business and restaurants. Friendly staff. Plenty of Hobbits and no Orcs. No elves sneaking into the room in the middle of the night looking for trouble. No dwarves. No wizards. No Bassilisk. Three point to Gryffendor. Free sorting hat. Nice lobby bar. Not too much traffic noise. A bit pricey but it was Frodo's shout so why should I care? ................................................................................................................................................................................. .............."...............................

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business