“Just like a boutique hotel”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #276 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The New York Marriott East Side is part of a major lodging group but has a wonderful boutique hotel feel. Service is outstanding, especially the front desk staff. I wanted to make some changes to my on line reservation at check-in which were a bit complicated but the desk person was very accommodating and helpful. The lobby restaurant and bar are comfortable and the staff are friendly and make you feel welcome. The rooms are a bit small and dated but very clean. We "apparently" stayed in the same room as Errol Flynn which was fun to consider. The location is central to Mid-town, in walking distance to Times Square and Central Park. Overall, the hotel is a winner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New York Marriott East Side

Reviewed 20 May 2014

There are a plethora of reasons I could give for why this is an absolutely terrible hotel (rude staff, ugly rooms, poor maid service, generally inhospitable atmosphere, $17 for criminally slow internet, etc), but even if those were not problems, there is one aspect of this hotel that should dissuade all but a select few from booking.

It smells like dead rats.

I mean to say that the lobby, the elevators, and the hallways reek of decomposing rodents.

I am not a super-smeller; I have no particularly exceptional olfactory abilities, nor do I ever complain about smells that go unnoticed by others. Everyone with whom I have come into contact while staying here, stranger or not, has agreed that the hotel absolutely stinks. I have no idea how this is possible for a hotel that purports to be four stars. I am certain that the vast majority of $50/night motels smell far, far better than this "luxury" establishment.

Honestly. Dead rats. As in, rotting-in-the-crawl-space dead rats. As in, I've-been-holding-my-breath-for-two-days dead rats. As in, I-am-paying-$400-a-night-for-this dead rats.

Bravo, Marriott. Bravo.

A few other notes:
- No mini-bar, just a small, tepid fridge.
- No room service.
- Location is fine; it's Midtown. There are dozens of hotels in Midtown.
- Noisy rooms, as others have noted.

Really, there are so many other options. Why pick an expensive yet mediocre hotel that smells terrible?

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank SherbCat
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Good morning

Thank you for choosing the Marriott East Side hotel for your recent stay and also for taking the time to give us your honest feedback regarding your visit.

Unfortunately, from your comment, it seems you were disatisfied with the poor service, the inhospitable atmosphere and the overall quality of the hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

However, our goal is to address your concerns and improve on them to the best of our ability. We are grateful for your patronage and suggestions and look forward in discussing them further with you at your convenience. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Spent two nights here. The location is great, located right in NYC midtown and has several subway stations nearby. Room is decent, well kept, and relatively spacious for NYC standard.

Charging $16 for wifi per day is overpriced for me, since I usually get free wifi at most hotel. And you even have to pay $19 for "premium" wifi which they claimed to be faster.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here in December 2013. Check-in was a bit of a nightmare - the lobby is small and it was packed. In all fairness, it was the weekend prior to Christmas, but I don't think that excuses poor service. The front desk staff wasn't overly accommodating (even though I am an elite member) and when they said that my room wasn't ready, I gave them my cell number to let me know when it was. They said it would be about 2 hours, but it turned out to be 4.5 before they called me -- also after the official check-in time. When I left the hotel, I wanted to store my bags, but that took me 30 minutes because the bell staff was not attentive what-so-ever. The same thing happened when I checked out and wanted to store bags. I stayed in the executive double that has a separate sitting area from the bedroom. It was one of the more spacious hotel rooms I've stayed in in the city, but it's well worn and nothing special. Views were awful. Overall, I would not suggest staying in this hotel when there are so many other properties to chose from in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle B
Marriott E, Guest Service Erxpeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Good afternoon

On behalf of the Marriott East Side Hotel, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the service failure you experienced during your recent stay with us.

From your feedback it seems you had problem with the size of the room, unpleasant view to the outside and also that our staff did not provide proper service and communication to meet your needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and we look forward in discussing them with you at your convenience.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We recently spent a few nights at the Marriott East side. It is a very nice building, well located on Lex & 49th. Close to the 5th Avenue and a nice walk to Times Square. The rooms were a little small (understandable for an old hotel building), but who comes to NYC to stay indoors anyway? Overall it was quite a nice place to stay. The Concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a wonderful time in New York the team at this hotel were friendly and warm. Location was not ideal for where we wanted to be but thats not their fault. Gym was well equipped and at least close to the underground I do recommend for a simple stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We arrived in the City shortly before 11:30 AM and were delighted that our room was available. Check in was smooth and efficient. The room was 1536. It had three windows and was very quiet and comfortable! Location is great for sight-seeing! Staff was always friendly. Valets were prompt and kind. Highly recommend this property and will absolutely stay again!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family