“Barely adequate, convenient hotel - but with problems”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #288 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have updated this review regarding an additional post-stay problem. I originally rated it two stars, now down-graded to one star. (You can't give less.) While I'll stay at other Marriott properties (and, indeed, have two upcoming Marriott reservations), I'm done with the East Side Marriott.

I've stayed here before and I chose it again because it was convenient for my meetings.

My first room was 2121. A small king, though adequate in size. I switched the next day because the internet did not work. Wired did not work (and wire was broken and had to be replaced.) Wireless did not work. While the hotel made an adjustment, I'd rather pay the bill and not have a problem. And not spend an hour in a failed attempt to get wired or wireless to work. For $325 a night, internet needs to work on the first try. (That included 34 minutes on the phone with the 3rd party tech, multiple calls with the manager on duty at the hotel, and a visit from the staffer who brought the new wire and observed failed connection attempt after failed connection attempt.)

I moved to room 2311 for 2 nights. A large, corner room. The internet worked seamlessly on the first day. Second day, hard-wired kept trying to connect me to the Marriott conference internet some 24 floors away. Wireless would not connect at all. (Manager visited, saw the problem, and posted some bonus points.) Wireless worked after a while. Then crashed. I gave up. (I checked out a day early.) Large rooftop air conditioner outside ran continuously at a low hum.

There is a large exercise room, but it is 2-3 elevators away.

The executive lounge is not open after Friday at about 1:30 p.m. until Monday morning. The hotel provides 1,000 Marriott points in its place. Breakfast at the hotel is expensive, but there are plenty of nearby options.

Hotel is convenient to transportation (subway is two blocks) and there are always taxis.

UPDATE: As stated above, the hotel promises 1,000 points per weekend day instead of the Executive Lounge. Totally inadequate and totally undisclosed. (Signs were not visible when I went for Friday breakfast, probably due to crowd from adjacent function.) After I checked out, other points from my stay (including applicable bonus points) were promptly posted. The 2,000 points for the closed lounge? Not posted. Called Marriott Rewards. They only post what the hotel tells them to post. Called hotel. First call not returned. Second call both accounting and the manager on duty insisted this was a Marriott Rewards issue. (Over 11 minutes on the phone.) Called Marriott Rewards again. At least they took ownership of the problem and solved it. Over 28 minutes on the phone, most of which on hold so I could do other things. My sense was that Marriott Rewards called the hotel. Whether that worked, or they just decided to post an additional 2,000 points, I do not know.

There are plenty of choices in New York, including other Marriott choices. This was my 5th Marriott in about 3 weeks. It was clearly inferior to each of the other 4.

Room Tip: High up to avoid New York street noise.
2  Thank SoCalTraveler91356
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Good afternoon

Once again, thank you for the update regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you bringing the issues to our attention. However, we would like for you to contact us at your convenience to further discuss these issues or please let us know how we can contact you. Thank you

Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here for three nights while working with a client. Nice older Manhattan hotel and they have put in a considerable amount of money into the Executive Lounge. This is probably the nicest lounge I have been in within any Marriott in the world. It seems they just reopened it after updating and is very nice. Almost feels like you are going into an upscale restaurant. I got a plus one pass with my stay so I could have taken someone else with me. Overheard the lady saying to another guest that the first additional person is free and then it is 25.00 for each person after that.
You are on the mid to lower East side so it all depends on where you need to be, but I was able to walk to my clients site each morning. Starbucks was about two blocks away.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

An annual trip to New York during Memorial Day weekend for us is as sure a way to begin summer as for some people to go to the beach. So, without fail, each year we pack our bags,board a plane, and arrive at Laguardia for a fun filled long weekend.
There is no doubt....we may stay at different hotels throughout the city, but it will ALWAYS be in Manhattan, and it will ALWAYS be a Marriott property.
This year, we chose the Marriott East Side, and there were no regrets.
The property is centrally located and easily reached from the airport (well...as easily as can be in a city that size with the traffic flows experienced each day!). The lobby is impressive as you enter, and the checkin experience was great. The staff was efficient beyond belief, and even though we arrived long before check in was scheduled, a room rapidly became available and within a few minutes we were in our rooms. And a few minutes is all you want to be in the room on your first day when there is so much to see and do.
We had a corner room with 2 double beds. It was spacious, exceptionally fresh & clean, and had a great view of the adjacent Waldorf Astoria. The room was quiet, and we couldn't have asked for better.
We stayed five nights, and housekeeping kept things as they should be. I think they are unsung heroes of the hospitality industry, and I for one appreciate what they do. I make it a point to tip daily, and I wish more customers did so.
Check out was a breeze, and though we were sad to end our visit to New York, this property made the stay wonderful. I certainly hope to be able to find a room when we return for our next visit.

Room Tip: If you have a room that faces the morning sun, BE SURE to close the blinds and shades before you go...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kjnbear
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our hotel of choice is the Marriott chain, but this hotel did not live up to expectations. It is in a great location, but it is a little worn. The lounge area has the ambience of a cafeteria. It is noisy, not cozy in any way, and way too lighted. We actually had drinks there for a couple nights. When we asked for a bowl of the bar mix snacks that are usually available at the Marriott bars, we received a big bowl of nuts for which we were unexpectedly charged $8. The room was very clean and adequate. We may stay there again, but there are so many other good choices in that area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barharborvisitor
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your recent visit to the Marriott East Side Hotel and also for taking the time to share your concerns with us. You indicated in your review that you were disatisfied with the ambience in the lounge (more suited for a cafeteria) and that it was very noisy and not cozy at all and overall, did not meet your expectations.

Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our goal is to address your concerns and to ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

As the Guest Service Expeditor, I would like to be your point of contact for future visit and also to regain your trust in our company. Please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience to further discuss these issues. Thank you.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here three times. Nice location, room standard is just ok - there are better choices closeby. The lounge is closed on weekends, my experiences with the staff are mixed: Some are nice, some others are not as friendly or helpful as I would expect it.

Overall a slightly below-average experience, compared with other Marriott properties in the same category.

1  Thank benwrm
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a recent business meeting at the hotel and extended a few days. I found the property to have a great location with a friendly staff. By New York standards, I found the size of the room to be generous and the on site amenities to be great including the lobby lounge/cafe. We would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: We had two doubles and while the view was not great, the room was sufficiently sized to accomodate t...
2  Thank DigDox
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here 10 years ago and remember it as being nice. Well, I don't think the carpets have been cleaned since then. The whole place has a worn, dingy feel--you know, dust and fluff along the baseboards, stained carpet, fingerprints and smudges everywhere, worn linen. What a disappointment. Marriott's quality is becoming more uneven. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Fleng2014
Marriott525, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to send us some feedback. I will ensure that this information about the room is shared with our team to make sure we are providing the best experience for our guests. We strive to show all our guests an exceptional hospitality experience in regards to our service and product and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during this past stay. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.