“Like old hotels/ this one (IMO) was great”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #287 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great location in the City. I like old hotels and this one is classic. Right in center of everything. Good for business and pleasure.
Rooms are newer, clean, bed and bathroom are great. BIG towels.
Staff extremely friendly and welcoming.
We were here for 2 days as an extension of a business trip. We did not look at workout room or business center.
Walked to everything we wanted to do, restaurants, theater and park. We did cab it to the Met though and walked back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a street view. Some seemed to be way back inside so all you would see is...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john b
Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my second stay at the East Side Marriott, and I wasn't disappointed. Although I arrived before my room was ready, the hotel staff was most accommodating. I was introduced to the M Club Lounge, an exceptional new feature at this hotel. I appreciated using those facilities which helped make my stay more pleasant and getting around NYC more efficient. Kudos to Kenda C., Margaret G., Scott, Kenny, Candy and the front desk staff! The healthy snacks, beverages, and food were spot-on delicious. I especially liked the Greek hors d'oeuvres served during "happy hour" in the M Club Lounge when I was there. I couldn't resist the dried fruits, cheeses, salad, chicken breasts, and Spanakoptika. I saw two Broadway shows which were one of many highlights of my trip (besides attending my cousin's wedding). My room was on the 27th floor, and I was pleased to have a view of the well-lit Chrysler Building at night. The breakfast near the Lobby was beautiful and plentiful. I was delighted to see John again, who was my server last year. I made a point of voicing my complete satisfaction to the hotel management: Allan Hartwig and Brian. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to families, people traveling on business, and solos like myself. Indeed, it was a positive, marvelous experience to stay at the East Side Marriott.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor (for a quieter experience) when I book my reservations. I would recom...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gail J
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We recently stayed at the New York Marriot East Side for a family event. The location was great. Marriot has a very "cool" app for Rewards members that allows you to check in before you arrive. There is a dedicated line for you to just walk up and get your key! We were upgraded to a larger room on the 15th floor. For a New York hotel it was extremely spacious, but the bathroom was small. As we were only staying one night for a wedding, we really didn't care.
The beds were comfortable which in the end is all that matters.
The hotel faces the historic Waldor Astoria nd is in the heart of mid town only a few blocks from Grand Central Station.
The front desk , bell captain and concierge were all very polite, friendly and helpful
The only reason for a lesser rating is the noise factor. Not from the other rooms...but from the street. Even on the 15th floor we could hear constant traffic noise, taxi horns and the whistle of the valet parking attendent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rakdanit
Reviewed 1 August 2014

i came to nyc marriott eastside for my birthday and my 3 cousins we checked in on sat july 19th and checked out on sunday july 20th. i just wanted to point out that your operator eisis i hope i am writting here name correctly she truly gave us a very nice expierence and she was absolutely amazing i just wanted to let your hotel know how wonderful your operator was and your entire staff from bellman to the easy check in i was completely satisfied and most of all it was a great way to celebrate my birthday. I came in from maryland to new york city and it was worth the trip again thank you to you and your staff

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I along with daughter and 2 granddaughters just completed a 6-night stay in this property. It was simply great across the board, including an outstanding "M Club" - probably the best Concierge Lounge (now called M Club) I have ever seen and we travel practically non-stop throughout the year - for leisure, as we are now retired and I am a lifetime elite Marriott member, which clearly is my choice of hotels almost everywhere we travel.

The location of this Marriott is great - only a few blocks from Times Square, Theater District, the best shopping, Central Park and restaurants of everyone's preferences.

Great reception & staff.

Very Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Went to NYC last night to see America's Got Talent with my wife and kids. Decided to use 40,000 points for a stay at the this Marriott hotel (which is category 8 just in case you didn't know) All was well until this morning. Nothing like a late night walking around the city, crashing in the bed around 12:30AM and then waking up to NO SHOWER! Not kidding, room 1005 does not have a functioning shower. When you pull up on the little knob it will not engage, only sprays water in every different direction from the spigot. You get a little dribble from the shower head. I hope a Marriott manager reads this review and addresses this asap. My next email is going to the corporate office to request my 40,000 points refunded. There is no calling room maintenance at 7AM with 4 people just waking up and wanting nothing more than a shower. Absolutely unacceptable.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank 73Swid
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your recent visit to the Marriott East Side hotel and also for taking the time to share your concerns with us. You indicated in your review that you were dissatisfied with our service, the amenities and the quality of our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies to you and your family for any inconvenience this may have cause.

Our goal is to address your concerns and prevent this from happening in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience to further discuss these issues.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having stayed several times in Times Square when visiting NYC...because I always thought it was more convenient, I opted to stay elsewhere this time. All I will say about the change is this:
If you don't want to feel like a salmon while getting into your hotel, then don't stay in Times Square. The convenience is marginal (you still have to get to the Subway and all attractions) and the mass of humanity makes you favor side doors anyway. For less money and more sidewalk space, avoid Times Square.

The New York Marriott East Side is very comfortable. We were in a corner room with two doubles (though, sharing one bed, they were comfortable for two average-sized people). The room was large. The bathroom was very clean. The beds were very comfortable. The coffee in the room is, as always, horrible, but there are two coffee shops less than a block away. The staff was courteous and funny.

This is an old building. There are bubbles in the paint on the ceiling. The access panels rattle. The windows aren't sound-proof, nor are the doors. But...if you remember ear plugs, or are a deep sleeper, then you will likely sleep well.

The location is great. There is Subway access a few short blocks away. Rockefeller Plaza and Fifth Ave are very close. We easily walked to Grand Central, the Empire State Building, and then back to St. Patrick's.

Room Tip: The corner room we had was great for family or friends.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends