“Fantastic Hotel, Great location, Great Price, Great Staff”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #283 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin
“Fantastic Hotel, Great location, Great Price, Great Staff”
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Just back from a 4 night stay in the Marriott Eastside. I was a bit hesitant staying on Lexington Ave as on previous trips to NYC I have always stayed close to Times Square, but it was the best location ever. The hotel is located less than 5 minutes walk from 5th Ave and less than 10 minutes walk from Times Square. The staff were very friendly and efficient especially the Irish Porter from Donegal. He was so pleasant and helpful. We had room service one night as we could not walk any more after our day shopping. The food and service was great and only cost $70 for dinner for two with beer and tea included. Never again will I stay in hotels close to Times Square, I'll be staying in the Marriott. The concierge was great and organised a 'town car' for us to go the airport in and it only cost $75 including tolls and tips - again this is the cheapest fare we have ever paid to the airport from a hotel in NYC. This is my seventh trip to NYC and would have to say the best trip ever by far and this was all down to the fantastic hotel that I stayed in. I'll be back!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel in October for 4 nights with some friends. On check-in they swiped my credit card for extras. The hotel accommodation was part of an inclusive package with BA.

I got my credit card bill on 11 November and the hotel has charged me $940. After 3 calls to the US nad 40 mins waiting a spoke to somone in business services. My credit card had been used to pay for another guest's stay. No apology and no explanation. The next day I got an email from Misty Gladdish of Business Services to say that she had not received any authorisation to refund me and would send me another update.

I received no further emails from Misty Gladdish. On the 13th I phoned again and spoke to Amy who told me that the amount would be refunded. It's 19 November and no sign of the refund or any follow up email.

I wrote an email to customer services asking them to explain how my credit card details had been used to pay for another guest's stay, whether that guest now had my credit card details as bills are posted to rooms and to date have received no response.

I called the hotel itself and they said it was not their problem and you had to speak to customer services.

Do you want to stay in a hotel which is this badly run? takes zero responsibility for the actions of their staff and uses your credit card to pay for other bills?

AVOID!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bee045
Birmingham
Reviewed 18 November 2009

All the employees of this hotel were very customer-focused and ensured each guest had their needs fulfilled.

We encountered no issues/bad attitudes with any employee. Everyone was pleasant, friendly, and offered assistance even when not asked. The check-in/out desk persons were efficient, housekeeping thorough, bellmen/doormen helpful, concierge extremely knowledgeable and went out of their way to serve you, security present, and business center clerk attentive to our needs. I never had this good of service from any hotel I have ever stayed at before.

We (party of 2) spent two nights at this hotel (Friday and Saturday, Nov 13-15). The hotel website stated check-in does not start until 4pm. We arrived at 12:00noon and did not have to wait more than 2 minutes for a hotel desk agent to start our check-in process. All our reservation information was correct and we finished the check-in process quickly and off to our room we went. To our surprise, we were assigned a corner room on the 28th floor with a great view. This room had three exterior windows (one facing north up Lexington Ave and two facing west down 50th street), a small refrigerator, couch, flat screen tv, desk area with extremely comfortable office chair (reclined), and coffee maker. The king-sized bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in any hotel. The room was not all that large, but roomy enough for all the furnishings and still able to walk around without any problems. Sleeping was not a problem at all on this bed. The bathroom was abit small and had a tub/shower combination.

There are so many hotels in New York you can select. I have to say that the next time I travel to New York, I will select this hotel again. Besides the service, location was perfect. We were able to walk to many attractions located within a few blocks (Times Square, St. Patrick Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, shopping, restaurants, etc ). Plus Grand Central Station was within a few blocks and from there you can go anywhere you needed to travel. The time to walk to the subway station from the hotel and ride the train to the Statue of Liberty station was less than 30 minutes. The traffic “noise” (cab horns, sirens) was present, but did not bother me and I slept through the ‘noise’. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants, so I am not able to comment (but the concierges recommended awesome restaurants!!!).

The only compliant I have is no free wi-fi service in the lobby. Luckily I have an i-phone with 3G coverage (no problems with reception) and able to access my email. Otherwise in-room internet charge not cheap ($16/day).

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
yaya41
Reviewed 14 November 2009

This Marriot is located right in the heart of Manhattan, just a couple of streets away from the 5th Avenue and major attractions like the Trump Tower and the Rockfeller Center. The rooms have been fully refurbished and and the beds are very comfortable!!! You are in Manhattan but you don t get bothered by all the noise because the street where the hotel is located is pretty calm.
The stuff is friendly even though the service is not excellent...the concierge seemed very sleepy and couldn t really help us to find a nice fish restaurant in the city?!?
Beside that, we were pretty happy with the hotel. It is expensive indeed but then, if you think about it, you are in one of the most expensive cities in the world!! ı would reccomend this hotel to anybody who wantsd to go to NY and have a trouble free stay :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 November 2009

As usual, the Marriott service and standard of excellence did not disappoint. The location is phenomenal! You can walk or take the bus or subway to just about all the great Mid-Town hotspots in minutes. However, New York is a noisy city and the hotel is right on Lexington Ave., and frustrated New York cabbies are not loath to blare their horns. There are lots of sirens as well. If that's comforting to you, then this hotel is great. I slept pretty well because I brought ear plugs. It's a good idea. Otherwise, this hotel is charming and the room was immaculate. Also, there are some great little breakfast and lunch diners within walking distance, so if you don't feel like paying hotel prices, walk around; you'll find something.

Florida
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I booked this hotel for a one day conference on the recommendation of a Marriott Business Planner. The staff did a pretty good job to accommodate us, but when we arrived the morning of our presentation, the floor had not been vacuumed and there were broken pretzel pieces around the room. They did send a janitor to sweep the floor but it needed wall to wall vacuuming and we didn't get it. They made restitution by removing the room rental charge from my bill. I was pleased with this solution. Their staff did hang around to make sure that I was taken care of and they were quick to come when called. The food was great and looked so appetizing. Nice selection of menu choices. Do consider brining your own AVI equipment as the rental there is ridiculous!

The location is terrific by Central Station. The Convention/Meeting rooms are very easy to get to in the hotel. The sleeping rooms leave a lot to be desired. While the bed was comfortable, my room was quite small. Nice Bathroom though, although my tub was clogged and wouldn’t drain.

I feel there are much better options for the price in New York. Definitely not worth the $490+ price.

Columbus, MS
Reviewed 20 October 2009

After having a terrific stay in a great location, with a great room, and great meeting faciliites, we saw first hand what excellent service above and beyond can be....

We left early for the airport....got their a lot earlier than need be....spent time over a long breakfast....and then with an 70 minutes before our flight, we realized we'd left the keys to our vehicle that was at an airport 2 hours from home, in the desk drawer at the hotel. I figured it would take 20 minutes to even find out if the hotel had found the keys....but no, 5 minutes later we get the call and they send a car to LaGuardia to deliver the keys! We got to the boarding gate before boarding started!

On our drive home from the Airport 2 hours away from home, we got a call to make sure the driver had gotten us the keys and to tell us they'd love for us to stay again....I replied of course, we will. We'll never stay anywhere else!