“Great Hotel Convenient To Transit, Right Next To World Trade”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #204 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Hotel Convenient To Transit, Right Next To World Trade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

For the past couple of years I have stayed at the Marriott Downtown whenever I traveled to NYC (about 4x a year) and every time I have gone it was a great experience. The hotel is extremely clean and right on West Street downtown. It's a few short blocks to Financial District, across the street from World Trade, walkable to TriBeCa/SoHo and uptown multiple subway stations are within a few blocks. I was once someone who enjoyed staying in the middle of Midtown for convenience, but to save a couple hundred dollars a night this is a great option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the club level facing World Trade or the King One Bedroom Corner Suite, these are...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very good hotel, good size rooms, with all facilities. Great location to subway and all attractions. Would recommend this hotel for families or a business trip as all facilities great for a business trip also.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
new york city
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had an odd situation - we made reservations months in advance for a new Fairfield Inn that should have been completed a month before our stay. Unfortunately, just a few weeks before we were supposed to fly in for our wedding with our families - we received a very unprofessional email stating that the hotel was not completed, our reservation had been cancelled, and we should refer to hotels.com for another reservation elsewhere. After *many* phone calls, our reservation was moved to this hotel, which I was initially happy about. But from there, there were several annoying bumps in the road.

1. When our reservation changed, the request of king beds vs double beds got messed up (we reserved 3 rooms with different bed configurations). We spoke to at least 4 different people - including 2 managers and a front desk clerk the day we checked in - about making sure we received the right type of room. When we finally received our room key (room was not ready when we arrived), we were sent up to the WRONG room. When I called downstairs, the front desk gave me a lot of grief about it stating that there was no indication in all our notes that we should have any particular type of room. I was so frustrated.

2. If we had paid full price for this hotel, we would have been very disappointed. They were quoting $500-600 a night, which are luxury prices. This is not a luxury hotel. It is the same quality of any 80$ per night suburban hotel. There is absolutely nothing about it that is special in any way. The decor, size of rooms, comfort of mattresses, amenities, service -- all mediocre. And oh yeah, unlike cheap suburban motels, breakfast is not included.

3. The mattresses were extremely uncomfortable - very firm and I felt like I could feel every spring. I am pregnant and woke up every morning with excruciating back pain - made so much worse by the poor mattresses.

4. I'm surprised people state they like the location of this hotel - it is in a location that most New Yorkers hate. Having lived in NYC for many years, I was grossed out by staying here - crowded with tourists and bankers, not the best restaurants or shopping, and not super close to trains. There are better areas to be in.

There were several other administrative snafus that I won't go into - but overall, they gave the impression of being extremely unorganized. I have never had such a time consuming, frustrating experience booking a hotel. I would not return to this hotel or any marriott in NYC.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Loved the location!!! It was great and easy to walk around and get to the metro station. I do no have any complain, friendly staff, it was close to a the NYC downtown tourist attractions, but after walking around the city we needed a nice bed and we did not get that for the price we payed. My husband and I shared a double bed and it had a hole in the middle! We will get out sides of the bed and later on we will roll into the middle. Very uncomfortable. Other than that, yes I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Chinita4u
Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

After taking a super long red eye flight, we arrived at the hotel ready to check in 2 hours before check in time. Expecting to have to leave our bags and go out and tour we were pleasantly surprised to be checked in immediately. We flew in for a girls weekend and our room was fantastic. Comfortable beds.Clean. Lots of coffee. Excellent service from the cleaning staff and the hotel staff. The check in/out times are short. Service is excellent. Lobby is clean. I would definitely come back and stay again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors if you want a view. Lower floors look into other buildings.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

First time staying at this Marriott property in NYC. Largest room I've stayed in, and I've been to NYC many times. Very clean & modern rooms. Lobby is also very nice; the staff was very welcoming. Convenient location to Wall Street, 9/11 Memorial, etc & easy subway access for other areas of Manhattan. My room on 34th floor had a great view.

Overall one of the best Marriott's I have stayed at in NY. Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Held a smallish summit (75) in the hotel in mid-July. The staff in this property could not be nicer or easier to work this. The food is excellent. Everyone on staff came by to thanks us for meeting at the hotel. Location is very convenient to the subway and to the lower end of Manhattan. The rooms are huge for NYC. The views are wonderful. Highly recommend this property for room size, price and staff!

Room Tip: The high up the better for a view of the river!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business