“Great Downtown property”

Ranked #204 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Downtown property”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was really pleased with my experience at the Marriott downtown. I arrived early, around noon, and I was fortunate enough to have a room made available to me. It was a corner room which gave me a lot of space and great views. The room was very clean, nice bath products, and attentive housekeeping service. Like many hotels, the walls are unfortunately a bit thin. I could hear my neighbor coughing and a conversation by my other neighbors, but fortunately it was not too disruptive.

The hotel is convenient to both the Wall Street and Rector subway stations; however, if you are visiting over a weekend be aware that the Rector stations are closed for repairs over the weekend well into 2014 due to hurricane Sandy. Thursday and Friday were no problem, but Saturday and Sunday I did end up having to take either the Wall Street or Fulton stations to get uptown.

It was very convenient to be near the World Trade Center Memorial site and the new Freedom Tower. The location to get your pass to visit the World Trade Center Memorial is several blocks away, but still easily within reach. It is a very moving experience, and was beautiful at sunset. You are also within walking distance of several restaurants, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty ferry, etc but be aware that because of continuing construction around the World Trade Center site, many sidewalks are closed and traffic can be very hectic.

The hotel has a taxi queue out front for hotel guests…but because the 9/11 memorial site exit is right in front of the hotel, I did notice a lot of tourists who were not hotel guests were using the Marriott Hotel taxi queue. This was pretty inconvenient when I found the taxi queue to be 17 people deep on a Saturday afternoon. Taxis are hard enough to come by- I ended up walking over 2 miles to my destination on West Broadway- without seeing an available cab the whole time. As a hotel guest, I wish I had been afforded priority for a taxi over non-hotel guests.

The only other "wish-list" item would be for the hotel restaurant and room service to run later than 11pm. Staff was friendly and overall, this was a good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank GirlOnAGlobe
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your room. Thank you for your honest review of the hotel and area. The 9/11 Museum is due to open in Spring 2014 so we are hopeful a good portion of the street construction will be complete. I appreciate your suggestion about the food services closing later. We hope to see you again very soon.
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is okey. The rooms are guite big. The bed is great and the staff is friendly. All rooms have a coffe maker which is great. The also have turn down service which is nice. I was also able to borrow a adapter which was great.

2 Thank evla700
A nice review all the way from Sweden! It’s funny how the small things like an adapter can really be appreciated. Thank you for your great review about our staff and rooms.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights Nov 9-10, 2013. Staff was very friendly. Great beds. Decent sized room. Perfect location for a trip to NYC. Last trip to NYC was filled with crowds. Staying downtown was like visiting a whole different city. It was fantastic. 9/11 Memorial was right across the street. A very moving experience. Will be back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CruisingandDriving
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
CruisingandDriving
I am so happy you decided to give the New York Marriott Downtown try! We are far away from the crowds of midtown and we have a neighborhood feel. Close to all the subways to get you anywhere you want to go. Thanks for the excellent comments about our friendly staff and rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Front Office Manager
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Great location being right next to the World Trade Center. Beautiful lobby, two nice restaurant (that are not owned by Marriott apparently since they are very reasonably priced), and great service.

Rooms are actually good sized for downtown New York. Concierge room is very well updated, food is solid, and service is great.

Overall very nice - but this hotel is getting very close to time for a renovation. Definitely good place to stay though!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a suite - look for a room number ending in 08.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for your nice comments about our rooms and restaurant. Our lobby and meeting spaces just completed a renovation. Our rooms are coming next! Hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I absolutely love this hotel! They have great rooms with amazing views of the city and the water. You are steps away from the financial district and the hotel has that small unique chic feeling. The staff is wonderful and I am happy to call it my home away from home when I visit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
We are so happy you love our hotel. We are thrilled you consider the New York Marriott Downtown your home away from home. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff. See you again very soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a great location if you need to be downtown for business or visiting Ground Zero, Lady Liberty, Ellis Island as it is a short walk to all areas.
I was there on business and made the reservations for a guaranteed King bed. I go to check in and they have a trainee waiting on me who took forever getting keys and locating everything. There should have been someone working with him to help him. No big deal but then I get to my room and it is 2 doubles. No what I requested so I ask for front desk, get a person who tells me she will check on king bed and call me back. Call never comes. At this point, I am tired and keep it. But for the price of close to 500 a night I expect more. The room is usual NYC room, on the smaller side, clean, efficient with flatscreen tv and good selection of channels. Bathroom was clean with good shower. Staff (outside of front desk) was good and there is a good burger restaurant on site.

J0hnPM10
Thank you for the great comments about our location and room cleanliness. Please accept my sincere apologies with your check in experience and our new trainee. We value you as a loyal Marriott customer and want to make sure on your next visit you receive your correct room type. and excellent service. Please give me a call at 212-385-4900 and I would be happy to assist.

Front Office Manager
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

It's a great location downtown, few steps from World Trade Center, ferries to Liberty Island and Wall Street. It sure that you are not in the nightlife of Broadway and close to the shopping center of the 5th avenue but finally they are all at few minutes in metro.
Lobby is not really warm welcome and make you feeling good but room are fine.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your nice comments about our rooms and restaurant. We are very fortunate to be close to the 1, R, 4, 5, A, C ,and E lines which will get you almost anywhere in need to go. See you again soon.