“Great stay at a beautiful hotel...”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #200 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had a wonderful stay here over Thanksgiving. The room was comfortable and well laid out, we had a decent view of the new freedom tower and the service was excellent and friendly. They really managed to wow our kids, quite a feat since this clearly is a business hotel.

Since Wall Street was closed, the streets were easy to navigate, cafe bravo (I think that's the name) at the corner of rector street is a nice place to catch a bite or a bagel. And Starbucks on the hotel property was a real boon on the cold thanksgiving morning before heading out for the parade...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pony101
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

I am very pleased to hear that your family had a terrific stay with us over the Thanksgiving Weekend. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and staff. Even though we are a business hotel we love to see the families especially during the Holidays! I am glad that our staff was able to wow your children. They sometimes are the hardest critics.
We hope to see you again!

Aileen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I will try and make this review as thorough as possible by dividing up the good and bad points about this hotel. First of all I will start with the good.

Location. Yes this hotel is Downtown but its great value for money compared to some of the more expensive hotels. It’s not near many of the usual tourist attractions such as Times Square, Empire State Building etc – this hotel mainly caters for flight crew and business travelers. I personally LOVE Downtown New York, the hotel is right next door the 9/11 memorial and the new World Trade Center Building and across the street from the World Financial Centre and the Hudson River. If you want to mainly stick to Soho/Greenwich/Tribeca then this hotel is great, a 10 minute cab ride and your there. There is a lovely (highly recommend) Deli across the street, a supermarket and pharmacy and emergency medical center round the corner on Liberty Street if you need it.

Staff. We had a LOT of problems during our stay (my mum got very sick) and they went out of their way to help us. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite as we needed more space, we were asked every day how my mum was and how they could help us. The doorman personally ensured we were put in a taxi and helped us out at the end as we are both disabled and the porter (I am so sorry Mr but I forgot your name) was the sweetest man, he stopped and chatted to us daily to make sure we were both alright and made us feel welcome and at home. The reception staff were also really friendly and helpful, especially Kevin, Nicole and Joey
Lobby. The Lobby has everything you need, a Fedex and Business Centre, computer and emails, an ATM, food and supplies, a Starbucks and restaurant. It is also kept nice and clean and is nicely designed.

Bedroom: The bedrooms are small but for New York, aren’t bad. Most frequent NYC hotelers know that the average bedrooms are the size of a shoebox. These rooms are ok, the beds are nice and comfortable and the overall room is clean and neat. There is a large flatscreen TV with digital TV channels and movie access which is $16.99 per movie. I will note that my bed was a sofa put up bed. There are no two bed suites at the Marriott which is pretty bad but a lot of hotels in NYC don’t have great two bed options. It was pretty comfortable though, I had two weeks on it so I can’t complain really.

Bad

I will begin with the bathroom. Firstly, ours had a HORRIBLE smell, like bad drains so we purchased some room spray and scented candles. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite but the bathroom was the same size as a standard room and poorly furnished. The basin was tiny and there was damp and mold on the ceiling from poor ventilation. The bath was TINY and pretty much touched the floor in height and the shower wasn't pleasant with a horrible curtain that went over the bath as a pose to a nice walk in shower and it wasn't that fierce. The toilet was quite low down and plastic, not ceramic.

The Corridors. The Lobby, as I mentioned, was kept nice and clean but not once in two weeks did I see anyone vaccuming the corridors on our floor, even by the elevators. We were on the 17th floor and over a period of weeks, crumbs, dirt from the street and things built up on the carpets and I never saw anyone vaccum them away. It should be done daily but wasn’t and this really irritated me as I expect a high standard of cleanliness.

Room Service

The only real disappointment at the Marriott was its room service. I guess most guests don’t a) stay for 2 weeks and b) order room service every single day. As both of us were not well and unable to get up for breakfast we ordered pretty much the same every day, tea with extra tea bags as I like it strong, cold milk, herbal tea, toast and jam or eggs, potatoes and bacon. Every day the order was stuffed up. Either we were charged for single items which were all inclusive, a cup was missing, the milk was missing, one time we had a used pot of jam (gross).

That's about it really. I will likely try a different hotel next year.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Suite for an extra 30 dollars per night. Worth it.
3  Thank ActionNowGal
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I will make sure to let Nicole, Joey, and Kevin know about the terrific service that they provided. I believe the bellman that you are referring to is Norman. I would like to apologize for your experience with the bathroom and corridors. I have forward your information to our Director of Services. Thank you for reporting the inconstancies with your room service order. During your stay these issues were address to the room server by our Director of Food and Beverage. We hope to see you next year!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was one of my many business trips. My room was clean and spacious but not wastefully so. The bathroom was large and clean also. Plenty of crisp towels, soap, shampoos etc. All the furniture was in good condition as were there drapes, bedding and appliances. No nasty smell either. I like this hotel as a convenience and/or business hotel. It is not lavish, romantic or luxurious but it is practical, comfortable and clean. The location is good, the staff are helpful and gracious. There is a good burger restaurant in the lobby (its also a bar) and their burgers are very good. Their hot tea is awful and luke warm, but there is also a Starbucks just off the lobby so you can manage like that. The rooms are quiet - you can't here the street noise (6th floor) or your neighbors.

The breakfast is not very good. Extremely limited selection of cereals (only 3), none of which I like. Okay bacon, decent eggs & okay pancakes. Get breakfast elsewhere. The hot water in the bathroom will fluctuate between scalding and cool depending on whether your neighbors are bathing at the same time so watch out for that.

Nothing negative to say about it. I'd stay here again any time.

Room Tip: Bathe early or late - not at prime time. Get your breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I will pass on the great comments to my staff. We strive to enhance every aspect of the hotel so I will also pass on your comments about the restaurant to our restaurant manager so we can better serve our guests.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. We had come in for a wedding and this was one of the wedding hotels. We had never stayed this far down in Manhattan so we thought it might be a nice change. We were on the 15th floor and even had a view of the Hudson. The room itself was very nice. I wish the bathroom could have been a bit larger. There was plenty of space to put our suitcases on the floor and our carry-on items on the desk or the big extra chair or even the window ledge. My husband said we should get tickets to see the 9-11 memorial since it was probably nearby. It was right across the street from the memorial! We were able to walk around the neighbor to Battery Park and further uptown to Tribeca with no problem. The staff seemed very eager to help in any way they could. We had a car because of other places we needed to be for the weekend. The parking is expensive ($55 a day) and valet only but each time we called up to ask for the car to be brought around to the front of the hotel it was waiting for us. If I wanted to be in that part of Manhattan again, I would stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

I hope you and your family had a wonderful wedding. Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. We hope you and your husband will visit us again very soon. Spring is a wonderful time to walk along the Hudson River Park which is right across the street!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was really pleased with my experience at the Marriott downtown. I arrived early, around noon, and I was fortunate enough to have a room made available to me. It was a corner room which gave me a lot of space and great views. The room was very clean, nice bath products, and attentive housekeeping service. Like many hotels, the walls are unfortunately a bit thin. I could hear my neighbor coughing and a conversation by my other neighbors, but fortunately it was not too disruptive.

The hotel is convenient to both the Wall Street and Rector subway stations; however, if you are visiting over a weekend be aware that the Rector stations are closed for repairs over the weekend well into 2014 due to hurricane Sandy. Thursday and Friday were no problem, but Saturday and Sunday I did end up having to take either the Wall Street or Fulton stations to get uptown.

It was very convenient to be near the World Trade Center Memorial site and the new Freedom Tower. The location to get your pass to visit the World Trade Center Memorial is several blocks away, but still easily within reach. It is a very moving experience, and was beautiful at sunset. You are also within walking distance of several restaurants, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty ferry, etc but be aware that because of continuing construction around the World Trade Center site, many sidewalks are closed and traffic can be very hectic.

The hotel has a taxi queue out front for hotel guests…but because the 9/11 memorial site exit is right in front of the hotel, I did notice a lot of tourists who were not hotel guests were using the Marriott Hotel taxi queue. This was pretty inconvenient when I found the taxi queue to be 17 people deep on a Saturday afternoon. Taxis are hard enough to come by- I ended up walking over 2 miles to my destination on West Broadway- without seeing an available cab the whole time. As a hotel guest, I wish I had been afforded priority for a taxi over non-hotel guests.

The only other "wish-list" item would be for the hotel restaurant and room service to run later than 11pm. Staff was friendly and overall, this was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank GirlOnAGlobe
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your room. Thank you for your honest review of the hotel and area. The 9/11 Museum is due to open in Spring 2014 so we are hopeful a good portion of the street construction will be complete. I appreciate your suggestion about the food services closing later. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is okey. The rooms are guite big. The bed is great and the staff is friendly. All rooms have a coffe maker which is great. The also have turn down service which is nice. I was also able to borrow a adapter which was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank evla700

A nice review all the way from Sweden! It’s funny how the small things like an adapter can really be appreciated. Thank you for your great review about our staff and rooms.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights Nov 9-10, 2013. Staff was very friendly. Great beds. Decent sized room. Perfect location for a trip to NYC. Last trip to NYC was filled with crowds. Staying downtown was like visiting a whole different city. It was fantastic. 9/11 Memorial was right across the street. A very moving experience. Will be back to this hotel.

1  Thank CruisingandDriving
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

CruisingandDriving
I am so happy you decided to give the New York Marriott Downtown try! We are far away from the crowds of midtown and we have a neighborhood feel. Close to all the subways to get you anywhere you want to go. Thanks for the excellent comments about our friendly staff and rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Front Office Manager