“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #202 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Germantown, Tennessee
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the New York Marriott Downtown. We come to NYC often and usually stay at Marriott properties but had never stayed at this hotel. From arrival to departure we had a wonderful experience. The doorman, front desk, concierge, guest operations manager and housekeeping staff were all accommodating, friendly and professional. Since my husband is a Platinum Elite we were upgraded from a standard room to a Jr. suite on a high floor with fantastic views of the 9/11 Memorial from one window and the Hudson river from the other window. The bed was very comfy and the refrigerator in the room was used frequently during our stay. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of counter space and hot water for showers was plentiful any time of day. The location is near small neighborhood delis and restaurants. The subway #1 train is one block out the back door and around the corner. Other subway lines are a few blocks away. Having a Starbuck's and Fed Ex in the building is a plus for the hotel. There is a restaurant in the hotel but we only ate there 2 days for breakfast using vouchers since the concierge lounge doesn't serve breakfast on the weekend.There is a movie theater a short walk away in Battery Park City. The location of the hotel was perfect as we did a lot of exploring in the financial district and Brooklyn. I am certain we will stay at this hotel during another visit to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
I am glad that you had such a terrific stay in NYC! I will make sure to pass on your information to the hotel associates. You are certainly correct that our studio suites have terrific views of the Freedom Tower. If you decide to stay with us in the future may I suggest that you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge? Many of our guests like walk the bridge if they are heading towards Brooklyn.

Kind Regards,
Aileen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lake George, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

My 10 year old daughter and I stayed here one night with our friends, another mother/daughter duo. For December it was the nicest place I could find with rooms with two double or queen beds for under $250 (via priceline, plus discount code, and over two months' ahead planning). While it was out of our way as we were mostly sightseeing in midtown, it was nice to see another part of the city and get away from some of the hustle and bustle of the holiday rush.

For a Marriott I thought the hotel had a real boutique feel, which I loved. We were delighted to find we were given a corner room with two queen beds. It wasn't huge, as most rooms in NY are not, but very pleasing with lots of windows and street views. It was certainly clean and comfortable, with elegant colors and decor. The staff was friendly and professional. The couple of times I called concierge with a request, they immediately greeted me by name! This may be common for certain travelers, but never for this budget minded hotel guest!

As an added bonus, the hotel has a Starbucks, making our morning dash to the street that much easier. There is also a restaurant and separate bar which looked cozy. If I ever need to visit downtown again, I would love to book another stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chick127
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful mother/daughter weekend. It is sometimes nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of midtown but still be a short train ride away. Our staff looks to making everyone’s stay as memorable as possible. Sometimes it is the simple things like saying a name that goes a long way. Having a Starbucks located in the hotel is a pleasure for all of us who need that morning cup of coffee in order to get moving.

Hope to see you and your daughter back for another mother/daughter weekend!

Lonon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in August. We arrived tired off a red eye flight at 7am. They were only too happy for us to check into our rooms there and then.

The staff were always friendly and polite.

Fantastic location, right next to WTC. An easy walk to Soho, Wall Street, Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge. Subway a couple of mins walk away.

Rooms were big by NYC standards, clean, tidy - and the sheets are just dreamy.

Stay here.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kittymaxer
Thank you for your kind response. I am happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay. I have to agree that the Marriott bedding is extremely comfortable especially after a red eye arrival.

We look forward to seeing you again!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay here over Thanksgiving. The room was comfortable and well laid out, we had a decent view of the new freedom tower and the service was excellent and friendly. They really managed to wow our kids, quite a feat since this clearly is a business hotel.

Since Wall Street was closed, the streets were easy to navigate, cafe bravo (I think that's the name) at the corner of rector street is a nice place to catch a bite or a bagel. And Starbucks on the hotel property was a real boon on the cold thanksgiving morning before heading out for the parade...

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pony101
I am very pleased to hear that your family had a terrific stay with us over the Thanksgiving Weekend. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and staff. Even though we are a business hotel we love to see the families especially during the Holidays! I am glad that our staff was able to wow your children. They sometimes are the hardest critics.
We hope to see you again!

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I will try and make this review as thorough as possible by dividing up the good and bad points about this hotel. First of all I will start with the good.

Location. Yes this hotel is Downtown but its great value for money compared to some of the more expensive hotels. It’s not near many of the usual tourist attractions such as Times Square, Empire State Building etc – this hotel mainly caters for flight crew and business travelers. I personally LOVE Downtown New York, the hotel is right next door the 9/11 memorial and the new World Trade Center Building and across the street from the World Financial Centre and the Hudson River. If you want to mainly stick to Soho/Greenwich/Tribeca then this hotel is great, a 10 minute cab ride and your there. There is a lovely (highly recommend) Deli across the street, a supermarket and pharmacy and emergency medical center round the corner on Liberty Street if you need it.

Staff. We had a LOT of problems during our stay (my mum got very sick) and they went out of their way to help us. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite as we needed more space, we were asked every day how my mum was and how they could help us. The doorman personally ensured we were put in a taxi and helped us out at the end as we are both disabled and the porter (I am so sorry Mr but I forgot your name) was the sweetest man, he stopped and chatted to us daily to make sure we were both alright and made us feel welcome and at home. The reception staff were also really friendly and helpful, especially Kevin, Nicole and Joey
Lobby. The Lobby has everything you need, a Fedex and Business Centre, computer and emails, an ATM, food and supplies, a Starbucks and restaurant. It is also kept nice and clean and is nicely designed.

Bedroom: The bedrooms are small but for New York, aren’t bad. Most frequent NYC hotelers know that the average bedrooms are the size of a shoebox. These rooms are ok, the beds are nice and comfortable and the overall room is clean and neat. There is a large flatscreen TV with digital TV channels and movie access which is $16.99 per movie. I will note that my bed was a sofa put up bed. There are no two bed suites at the Marriott which is pretty bad but a lot of hotels in NYC don’t have great two bed options. It was pretty comfortable though, I had two weeks on it so I can’t complain really.

Bad

I will begin with the bathroom. Firstly, ours had a HORRIBLE smell, like bad drains so we purchased some room spray and scented candles. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite but the bathroom was the same size as a standard room and poorly furnished. The basin was tiny and there was damp and mold on the ceiling from poor ventilation. The bath was TINY and pretty much touched the floor in height and the shower wasn't pleasant with a horrible curtain that went over the bath as a pose to a nice walk in shower and it wasn't that fierce. The toilet was quite low down and plastic, not ceramic.

The Corridors. The Lobby, as I mentioned, was kept nice and clean but not once in two weeks did I see anyone vaccuming the corridors on our floor, even by the elevators. We were on the 17th floor and over a period of weeks, crumbs, dirt from the street and things built up on the carpets and I never saw anyone vaccum them away. It should be done daily but wasn’t and this really irritated me as I expect a high standard of cleanliness.

Room Service

The only real disappointment at the Marriott was its room service. I guess most guests don’t a) stay for 2 weeks and b) order room service every single day. As both of us were not well and unable to get up for breakfast we ordered pretty much the same every day, tea with extra tea bags as I like it strong, cold milk, herbal tea, toast and jam or eggs, potatoes and bacon. Every day the order was stuffed up. Either we were charged for single items which were all inclusive, a cup was missing, the milk was missing, one time we had a used pot of jam (gross).

That's about it really. I will likely try a different hotel next year.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Suite for an extra 30 dollars per night. Worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ActionNowGal
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I will make sure to let Nicole, Joey, and Kevin know about the terrific service that they provided. I believe the bellman that you are referring to is Norman. I would like to apologize for your experience with the bathroom and corridors. I have forward your information to our Director of Services. Thank you for reporting the inconstancies with your room service order. During your stay these issues were address to the room server by our Director of Food and Beverage. We hope to see you next year!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was one of my many business trips. My room was clean and spacious but not wastefully so. The bathroom was large and clean also. Plenty of crisp towels, soap, shampoos etc. All the furniture was in good condition as were there drapes, bedding and appliances. No nasty smell either. I like this hotel as a convenience and/or business hotel. It is not lavish, romantic or luxurious but it is practical, comfortable and clean. The location is good, the staff are helpful and gracious. There is a good burger restaurant in the lobby (its also a bar) and their burgers are very good. Their hot tea is awful and luke warm, but there is also a Starbucks just off the lobby so you can manage like that. The rooms are quiet - you can't here the street noise (6th floor) or your neighbors.

The breakfast is not very good. Extremely limited selection of cereals (only 3), none of which I like. Okay bacon, decent eggs & okay pancakes. Get breakfast elsewhere. The hot water in the bathroom will fluctuate between scalding and cool depending on whether your neighbors are bathing at the same time so watch out for that.

Nothing negative to say about it. I'd stay here again any time.

Room Tip: Bathe early or late - not at prime time. Get your breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review. I will pass on the great comments to my staff. We strive to enhance every aspect of the hotel so I will also pass on your comments about the restaurant to our restaurant manager so we can better serve our guests.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. We had come in for a wedding and this was one of the wedding hotels. We had never stayed this far down in Manhattan so we thought it might be a nice change. We were on the 15th floor and even had a view of the Hudson. The room itself was very nice. I wish the bathroom could have been a bit larger. There was plenty of space to put our suitcases on the floor and our carry-on items on the desk or the big extra chair or even the window ledge. My husband said we should get tickets to see the 9-11 memorial since it was probably nearby. It was right across the street from the memorial! We were able to walk around the neighbor to Battery Park and further uptown to Tribeca with no problem. The staff seemed very eager to help in any way they could. We had a car because of other places we needed to be for the weekend. The parking is expensive ($55 a day) and valet only but each time we called up to ask for the car to be brought around to the front of the hotel it was waiting for us. If I wanted to be in that part of Manhattan again, I would stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
I hope you and your family had a wonderful wedding. Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. We hope you and your husband will visit us again very soon. Spring is a wonderful time to walk along the Hudson River Park which is right across the street!
Mark