“Wonderful stay for long weekend...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New York Marriott Downtown

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #201 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Wonderful stay for long weekend...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great service, very attentive, very helpful, (we were from out of town), comfortable with the cleanliness and a good value! The concierge named Troy couldn't have been more helpful :) He went above and beyond to make sure we were always going in the right direction! We would definitely return :)

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
I am glad that you had a terrific time in NYC. I will make sure to pass on your fabulous comment to our bellman Troy who assisted you. We always like to hear how our associates have gone above and beyond to help our guests.

Hope to see you in the future!

Aileen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here 3 times in the last 5 years and it has always been a positive experience. The hotel rooms seem nicer and roomier than typical midtown Marriott properties. Paying an extra 30-50 for a corner room is worth it as the extra windows provide nice views. Nothing negative to report.

Room Tip: High floor less street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Osbozac
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for your posting. It is terrific to hear from our repeat guests! I am glad that you and your family enjoying coming to NYC. We hope to see you in the future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

No one to help with bags when we get there nor a valet.

Everyone (inc staff) was standing around inside. Lobby is packed, why? Aside from the huge bathroom lines snaking around the place from the restaurant and Starbucks customers, everyone is loitering trying to get free lobby wifi.

The in room wifi is a rip off, $13/24hrs. In this day and age this is pretty poor, especially taking into account the cost of the rooms here.

No kettle was available, only a small drip coffee machine. Making tea is thus a pain.

Pillows feel very cheap.

Location is ok but you need to catch the subway to get anywhere. Close to statue of liberty ferry. Nearby food options are a bit limited.

Gym is quite good though. DBs to 50lb and two cable machines plus cardiovascular equipment.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your candid response. The week between Christmas and New Year’s is always busy in NYC and the New York Marriott Downtown was no exception. I would like to apologize for your experience. This is not the typical Marriott experience and your issues have been addressed with the staff.

On a positive note if you like our fitness center now we will be upgrading it in the near future. We are looking to make the space bigger and add a few more machines. Hopefully you would like the improvements.

Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I am always very scared about booking hotels in NYC. I have heard so many horror stories that I had anxiety attacks days prior to my visit. Once I stepped into the lobby I knew the stress was unnecessary.

I called a few days before my reservation to see if I could check my bag early In the morning and then go sight seeing until my room was available. Every time I spoke to someone they were knowledgable and helpful. Upon my arrival at 8am I was told there was no need to wait and check my bags, my room was available!

The room was clean and spacious enough for my friend and I. The bathroom was standard size and we had no problems for the entire stay. We were even given passes to the 9/11 memorial.

We arrived back extremely late on the night before our check out and the front desk was very accommodating and gave us a later check out when we asked.

If I ever need to stay in NYC again I will, without a doubt, be booking a room here.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank LauraLizP
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
I am so happy to hear that your trip was stress free. I know how a trip to an unknown area can cause much anxiety. I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of the 9/11 memorial passes that we have for our guests.

We hope to see you in the future!

Germantown, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the New York Marriott Downtown. We come to NYC often and usually stay at Marriott properties but had never stayed at this hotel. From arrival to departure we had a wonderful experience. The doorman, front desk, concierge, guest operations manager and housekeeping staff were all accommodating, friendly and professional. Since my husband is a Platinum Elite we were upgraded from a standard room to a Jr. suite on a high floor with fantastic views of the 9/11 Memorial from one window and the Hudson river from the other window. The bed was very comfy and the refrigerator in the room was used frequently during our stay. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of counter space and hot water for showers was plentiful any time of day. The location is near small neighborhood delis and restaurants. The subway #1 train is one block out the back door and around the corner. Other subway lines are a few blocks away. Having a Starbuck's and Fed Ex in the building is a plus for the hotel. There is a restaurant in the hotel but we only ate there 2 days for breakfast using vouchers since the concierge lounge doesn't serve breakfast on the weekend.There is a movie theater a short walk away in Battery Park City. The location of the hotel was perfect as we did a lot of exploring in the financial district and Brooklyn. I am certain we will stay at this hotel during another visit to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad that you had such a terrific stay in NYC! I will make sure to pass on your information to the hotel associates. You are certainly correct that our studio suites have terrific views of the Freedom Tower. If you decide to stay with us in the future may I suggest that you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge? Many of our guests like walk the bridge if they are heading towards Brooklyn.

Kind Regards,
Lake George, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

My 10 year old daughter and I stayed here one night with our friends, another mother/daughter duo. For December it was the nicest place I could find with rooms with two double or queen beds for under $250 (via priceline, plus discount code, and over two months' ahead planning). While it was out of our way as we were mostly sightseeing in midtown, it was nice to see another part of the city and get away from some of the hustle and bustle of the holiday rush.

For a Marriott I thought the hotel had a real boutique feel, which I loved. We were delighted to find we were given a corner room with two queen beds. It wasn't huge, as most rooms in NY are not, but very pleasing with lots of windows and street views. It was certainly clean and comfortable, with elegant colors and decor. The staff was friendly and professional. The couple of times I called concierge with a request, they immediately greeted me by name! This may be common for certain travelers, but never for this budget minded hotel guest!

As an added bonus, the hotel has a Starbucks, making our morning dash to the street that much easier. There is also a restaurant and separate bar which looked cozy. If I ever need to visit downtown again, I would love to book another stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chick127
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful mother/daughter weekend. It is sometimes nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of midtown but still be a short train ride away. Our staff looks to making everyone’s stay as memorable as possible. Sometimes it is the simple things like saying a name that goes a long way. Having a Starbucks located in the hotel is a pleasure for all of us who need that morning cup of coffee in order to get moving.

Hope to see you and your daughter back for another mother/daughter weekend!

Lonon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in August. We arrived tired off a red eye flight at 7am. They were only too happy for us to check into our rooms there and then.

The staff were always friendly and polite.

Fantastic location, right next to WTC. An easy walk to Soho, Wall Street, Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge. Subway a couple of mins walk away.

Rooms were big by NYC standards, clean, tidy - and the sheets are just dreamy.

Stay here.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kittymaxer
Thank you for your kind response. I am happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay. I have to agree that the Marriott bedding is extremely comfortable especially after a red eye arrival.

We look forward to seeing you again!