“Good, but not all that”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #196 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've stayed at the Marriott Downtown many times over the past few years. The rooms are pretty consistent (spring for an Executive Suite if you can). The restaurant on site is pretty disappointing - they do burgers and that's about it, and the same for room service. If you don't like burgers you are pretty much out of luck.

The concierge lounge on the top floor is OK - the breakfast is good and the late night cookies are appreciated, though it's closed at the weekend.

Wifi is pretty expensive if you don't get it for free as part of executive club membership and not exactly speedy (fine for browsing but don't even think about streaming or downloading anything).

Staff are OK - the doorman is always friendly and looks out for the hotel's guests but reception staff, club lounge and room staff are efficient but not particularly friendly.

The worst point was the breakfast in the main restaurant. I had a truly dreadful experience there - I was kept waiting "for a table" even though the restaurant was ~20% full with empty tables everywhere. It took 20 minutes of waiter walking past me before I could even get anyone to take my order. When my cereal turned up it was without milk which I was told my waiter would be "right back with". 10 minutes later I had to intercept another member of staff to actually get it. The danish basket had a couple of items - the croissant was as dry as a bone and tasted like it was at least a day old and the orange juice was watery and certainly not freshly squeezed. Very poor - and extremely expensive!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am very disheartened to hear about your experience in our outsource restaurant Bills. Please be assured that you take your experience very seriously. I have forward your information to their management so they can address your issues.

I hope that you will visit us again so we can wow you.

Aileen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a huge business traveler hotel as it is in the financial district. I thought the hotel rooms were nice, and the staff was very friendly at check-in. The club lounge area was nice, and overlooked the water. The biggest disappointment for me was the room service. There is a burger bar in the hotel and that is where the room service comes from. Don't get me wrong the burgers are decent, but if you do not want a burger and want to eat healthy, there are very little options for you (they have a few salad and chicken options but they are blah). I would expect a more robust room service menu for a Marriott in the financial district.

Other than that the location is good for those who work in the financial district, and fairly close to a subway.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our room service. We sincerely appreciate our guest’s feedback and are always looking for ways to improve service. I have forward this to our Director of Food and Beverage so they can work with our restaurant to help enhance our guest's experience.

Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Marriott Downtown is subtle. It doesn't boast the grandeur of the Marriott Marquise, nor does it have the "modern" fittings of its neighboring W.. But what is has is better. Before even going inside, we are greeted by name.

The Staff is going beyond what is expected, by today's standards. They've kept it personal.

The rooms are nicely appointed. And we've never had any internet issues. I've held multiple video calls and not once had problems. The lounge on the top floor has great options for breakfast and dinner, though you must have status with Marriott to access. My only complaint being that it seems food stations are broken down a solid thirty minutes before closing.

I've stayed here multiple times, my girlfriend at least ten. We go back because of that personal touch. New York Marriott Downtown is exactly what we need for business trips to the Financial District of Manhattan. Will see you again soon!

Room Tip: South facing rooms will likely have a view of the Statue of Liberty. No matter how many times you v...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your fantastic feedback! Our staff tries our best to get to know our guests as much as possible. I am glad that we are able to make it Brilliant for you.

See you soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

As a Marriott TimeShare owner, we always try to use our points and stay at a Marriott. On my visit to NJ, I added 2 days and stayed at the Marriott Downtown NY for memorial day weekend. The hotel was great, the rooms were great, and the staff was great. However, the Internet was VERY POOR quality. There was an option to pay extra and "upgrade" to high speed, however, all I was looking for is Email, Web, Facebook, I was not looking to stream movies, and things like that, so I expect BASIC internet , good quality, fast enough for Web Surfing and email to be included. Very disappointed in this from a quality place like Marriott.

But, besides that, the hotel was good, Immediately next to the Freedom Tower, which was fantastic, close to the Hudson river boardwalks, Wall Street, Bowling Green. Overall, good stay.

Room Tip: I liked a high room with a view of the Hudson and the beautiful sunsets over NJ.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback! Our internet system is a new system and I am surprise that you had problems. I would like to apologize for the challenges that you experienced. I am having our IT department take a look at that.

Other than that I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and staff.

Hope you visit NYC again!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at this property located in lower Manhattan's financial district steps from ground zero, south Ferry and near Battery Park. The area around the hotel is undergoing considerable street construction making it difficult for pedestrians. Parking costs $55 per day so dont bring a car. Take #1 train. Recently renovated common areas and conference rooms were okay. My room on the 35th floor was not renovated. The bedding was standard Marriott, which I love, however, one of the mattress showed considerable wear clealy concaved and not at all comfortable. The Hudson River view from bed was very nice at night. No shower caps ladies. Plenty of towels and instant coffee/tea. One major miss, the gym is under remodel and their option was to set up some machines in a very tight roomd. There is only one restaurant, Bill's, on the property and is not managed by Marriott it serves mostly burgers and fried foods, and a decent breakfast. No late night diningor drinking--it closes at 10pm. Not the best Marriott and I am a member.

Room Tip: Higher floor are quieter
1  Thank zlina

Thank you for your feedback. I am very disheartened to hear about your room. Are beds are usually very comfortable. I apologize that you had issued with your mattress. This is not our usual standards and I have informed our housekeeping department to look into this issue. We are very excited to have our new state of the art fitness center open this August 2014. Unfortunately until this opens we have our temporary fitness center. When our restaurant and bar close for the night the front desk can help you find local late night entertainment.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights May 17/18th as part of a bus tour group. Checkin was easy, they had a secure room to store our luggage since we arrived earlier than rooms are available. Came back at the appointed time and were out of the lobby in seconds. A quick ride up to the 30th floor and voila....Lady Liberty waving her welcome to us! The room was spotless, luxurious bedding, lots of hot water with good pressure....heaven! Decent restaurants within walking distance, and half the things we had come to enjoy just a stroll away. The other half were a quick taxi ride uptown....central park, times square and HALF PRICE broadway tickets to see Chicago! Hopped the subway for the return trip...cheap, easy and not scarey as most TV shows portray it. NYC was clean, friendly and (for a tourist mecca), very reasonably priced. I am not a big city gal, could care less if I ever returned to the circus that is Times Sq.....but oh I would love to come back and explore the museums, have a few more decadent meals and of course another show! I'd also pass on the so-called bargain shopping....things seemed about par with shopping anywhere else I have gone, no great deals. Would not hesitate to return to the Marriott, it was perfect!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your amazing feedback. It is so nice to see that you had such a fun time in NYC. Glad to see we were able to take such good care of you. New York City has so much to offer that you cannot see everything in 1 trip.

Hope you come back to NYC and visit us again!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed other hotels such as millennium Hilton , W and service was always terrible. Huge attitude in most but Marriott was a refreshing difference. From bellman to room service everyone is best in this area.

They started remodeling the gym even though it was reasonable. I know many of the frequent guests are very disappointed and new modern one will open in September. 3-4 treadmills and 2 elliptical are crammed with no free weights. If your goal is to get a great workout try another hotel until September 2014

Room Tip: good rooms will cost you. no need to spend the extra cost. if you are elite, concierge level have gr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy that you found our staff to be extremely friendly and engaging. We work hard to ensure everyone enjoyed their stay.

We are very excited to have our new state of the art fitness center open this August 2014. Unfortunately until this opens we have our temporary fitness center. We know it does not compare to what is to come and I am very sorry you were disappointed with the temporary facility.

Hope you come visit us again especially when the new fitness center is reopened.