“Worked very well for us”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #202 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Spring, Texas
“Worked very well for us”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We decided to visit NYC to see the WTC Memorial and museum. This Marriott is in the perfect location if that is what you're going to see. We talked at length with the Marriott bellman who was there at the time of the great tragedy and gave us quite a bit of insight as to what is was like that day as well as what it was like during the recovery period. The hotel itself is very nice, clean, and quite affordable considering its location. You could easily pay two or three times the money and have the same type of room somewhere else. I liked the fact that we could walk to Battery Park, and were in close proximity to the subway. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Karen W, Internet Correspondence Specialist at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to NYC by visiting the WTC Memorial and museum. We are pleased you found our hotel affordable considering its location. Our location is one of our best assets.

We hope you visit soon!

Kind Regards,
Karen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is perhaps a little further afield than some would prefer, but this hotel surprised us. It's nothing to look at from the outside and even the inside is a little plain, but I would recommend this hotel - affordable (for NYC), clean, surprisingly generous rooms. The a/c is quiet and effective. The bathroom is a good size, with an adult sized shower that offers both good water pressure and flow at good temperatures. The bed was large and comfortable, although the pillows left a little to be desired. The only real letdown for us was that wifi is only free in the lobby, though there are quite a few seats provided and it's fast... but in the land where even parks have free wifi, it should be included.

It's a two minute walk to the rector street station for a 5-10 minute subway ride to mid-town (eg Times Square at 42nd street) or a few minutes extra walk will see you grab a train to soho or similar. There's a hertz station just around the corner and it provides great access to the Hudson River waterfront district and a short walk to the world trade centre site (under reconstruction).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CRANBR23
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Checked in on Friday and we needed two rooms. They worked with us so we could be next to each other. The service is great and the rooms comfortable. The subway lines are close and cabs are easy to get. I stay at Marriotts all the time and this was consistent with my expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Statue of Liberty are lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cathdav
We at the NY Marriott Downtown strive to provide excellent service. We are happy we were able to accommodate your request by having your rooms placed next to each other. We are pleased to hear your expectations were met.

Kind Regards,
Karen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel more times than I can recall, but recently returned after using the Battery City Hilton for the past year. I prefer this location which has many subway lines close to the hotel.
The new, non Marriott diner is noisy and unfriendly, but there are other places nearby.
The rooms are OK, and higher levels have good views. The bathroom has no shower cap or shower gel, but I remembered that from before and brought my own. Also bring my own kettle as you can't make tea with a coffee machine.
The mini bar is empty but is a good working fridge, so I avoided breakfast costs and bought supplies from the local supermarket.
Unlike others, I didn't find any problems with the internet and appreciated the hotel not charging, a bonus.
This is a busy hotel, and that means the personal side of service is a bit lacking. But I guess I'll be back again, and will pack the extras!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Though we live in the City, decided to see the World Trade Center Memorial and spend some quality time together. As stated in the title, this was not inexpensive, but well worth it nonetheless. We treated ourselves to the restaurant which was just fantastic, from service to food, walked around the Memorial and was just so beautiful and sad yet hope filled at the same time. Walked back to the Hotel to a very pleasing 'turn down service', what we have come to expect from Marriott. We visited the Museum the next day and it was so moving and touching. Always aware we were on Hallowed ground. Didn't quite understand the dustup regarding the memento store (we have seen this at other Memorials and as long as it was 'tastefully' done and the funds used to support the Museum had no issue with it. (I know some of you want to define 'tasteful', I can only think of what former Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart's answer to a different issue- "I know it when I see it"! All in all a great overnight!

Room Tip: A higher room facing west.
Green Features: They participate in the optional sheet changing program.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ambopat
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I had booked a 'junior suite' in this hotel. Let me tell you, it was a very, very tiny suite. Actually, I don't think you can even call it a suite. It had one king bed, one two armchairs, and a pullout couch (which was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, it was a complete rock and couldn't be used). Also, the restaurant downstairs is horrible for breakfast. There is a very small menu, and the food is not good, at all. Thank goodness for the fact that there is a Starbucks in the building (though it is hard to find/get to). The amenities were also horrid, as I believe I implied. The location, was just the worst. There is nothing nearby, except the 9/11 memorial, which isn't completely open. It would have been better to stay somewhere near Rockefeller Center, or just Midtown, due to the fact that there is ACTUAL STUFF to do, there. Overall, I do not one bit recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The top floor has a few suites, with loud noises coming from ice machines, and A/C units. Also, if...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MattInMiami
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay or your junior suite. These suites are larger than our typical rooms and are corner rooms with 2 great views of the river and city. I will make sure the sofa bed is checked so no other guest will have to sleep on a hard surface. We strive to give excellent service at the New York Marriott Downtown and I thank you for your feed back.
Regards,
Mark
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've stayed at the Marriott Downtown many times over the past few years. The rooms are pretty consistent (spring for an Executive Suite if you can). The restaurant on site is pretty disappointing - they do burgers and that's about it, and the same for room service. If you don't like burgers you are pretty much out of luck.

The concierge lounge on the top floor is OK - the breakfast is good and the late night cookies are appreciated, though it's closed at the weekend.

Wifi is pretty expensive if you don't get it for free as part of executive club membership and not exactly speedy (fine for browsing but don't even think about streaming or downloading anything).

Staff are OK - the doorman is always friendly and looks out for the hotel's guests but reception staff, club lounge and room staff are efficient but not particularly friendly.

The worst point was the breakfast in the main restaurant. I had a truly dreadful experience there - I was kept waiting "for a table" even though the restaurant was ~20% full with empty tables everywhere. It took 20 minutes of waiter walking past me before I could even get anyone to take my order. When my cereal turned up it was without milk which I was told my waiter would be "right back with". 10 minutes later I had to intercept another member of staff to actually get it. The danish basket had a couple of items - the croissant was as dry as a bone and tasted like it was at least a day old and the orange juice was watery and certainly not freshly squeezed. Very poor - and extremely expensive!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your valued feedback. I am very disheartened to hear about your experience in our outsource restaurant Bills. Please be assured that you take your experience very seriously. I have forward your information to their management so they can address your issues.

I hope that you will visit us again so we can wow you.

Regards,