“Not bad”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #193 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Nice hotel. We loved the location right near WTC Memorial and downtown is our preferred area, particularly at night. It was so nice to walk down by the river at night looking over to Jersey City.

Room was a little dated but comfortable. Nice big bed. A/c packed in on our last night though and it got very hot indeed.

Surprised no free wifi in room - these days that's quite unusual. Does anyone still pay for wifi? Really?

Ate in Bill's Bar & Burger - surprisingly good.

If we could get the same great rate we'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NottsPanther75
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the area around the hotel and our restaurant. I am sorry that your air conditioning unit was not working properly during your stay. I understand how frustrating this must have been for you and your family. I am sorry that our staff was not able to better assist you so you would not have had to incur an uncomfortable night.

I hope we can see you again so we can truly wow you.

Regards,
Aileen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Marriott Downtown, this was a work visit - the office was around 10 minutes walk away, but could take longer due to the amount of construction/disruption going on in the surrounding area, but obviously out of control of the hotel.

In terms of the hotel itself, I had no issues with the room, bed was comfortable, was plenty of storage space, would have preferred free WIFI in the room as is becoming the norm nowadays where I stay. The shower took a while to get up to temperature, but once there was pretty decent. There were only three lifts servicing the floor, so at busy times there could be a wait - and one of the lifts seem to have a mind of it's own, going down, back up before going to the ground level.

In terms of the neighbourhood, it was pretty quiet, outside of the people going to the 9/11 Memorial, but Battery Park City & Tribeca are only a short walk away.

I managed the two week visit without using the subway or using a cab (I did bring my own bike with me) and ride up the west of Manhatten on the cycle path to the Intrepid / around 42nd Street is around a 20 minute ride, George Washington Bridge took around 45-50 minutes (on a Brompton) - so although it might be in a quiet area, it didn't take long to get into the heart of the city and if you don't bring your own bike, use a Citi-Bike - but bring a helmet.

In terms of the Bar & Restaurant, I found the staff at both to be pleasant and they seemed to work between the two, but was hard to find a decent "healthy" meal, but what I did eat was tasty enough, even if it had more calories than I really wanted to consume, I rarely saw the bars overly full, but as a lone traveler I struck up a fair few conversations with staff and guests alike to while away the time.

Unfortunately during my stay, they were doing up the gym, so what was available I did not end up using, hopefully what they are building will be good, not sure if they are going to have a pool - I clicked on "terrible" by mistake in the ratings, there needs to be an "n/a" instead

It's not the best hotel, nor the best Marriott I have stayed at, but that said I had a pretty good experience and would recommend the hotel if you want somewhere a little quieter in the middle of chaos to have as your base

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! It sure looks like you had a good time in NYC! We are located in a quieter part of NYC but as you stated it is easy to get around to the different areas. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the elevators. We are working on this situation. Our fitness center is being remodeled at this time. We look forward to having a new state of the art fitness center open in the near future.
Hope you visit us again!

Regards,
Aileen

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We decided to visit NYC to see the WTC Memorial and museum. This Marriott is in the perfect location if that is what you're going to see. We talked at length with the Marriott bellman who was there at the time of the great tragedy and gave us quite a bit of insight as to what is was like that day as well as what it was like during the recovery period. The hotel itself is very nice, clean, and quite affordable considering its location. You could easily pay two or three times the money and have the same type of room somewhere else. I liked the fact that we could walk to Battery Park, and were in close proximity to the subway. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Karen W, Internet Correspondence Specialist at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to NYC by visiting the WTC Memorial and museum. We are pleased you found our hotel affordable considering its location. Our location is one of our best assets.

We hope you visit soon!

Kind Regards,
Karen

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is perhaps a little further afield than some would prefer, but this hotel surprised us. It's nothing to look at from the outside and even the inside is a little plain, but I would recommend this hotel - affordable (for NYC), clean, surprisingly generous rooms. The a/c is quiet and effective. The bathroom is a good size, with an adult sized shower that offers both good water pressure and flow at good temperatures. The bed was large and comfortable, although the pillows left a little to be desired. The only real letdown for us was that wifi is only free in the lobby, though there are quite a few seats provided and it's fast... but in the land where even parks have free wifi, it should be included.

It's a two minute walk to the rector street station for a 5-10 minute subway ride to mid-town (eg Times Square at 42nd street) or a few minutes extra walk will see you grab a train to soho or similar. There's a hertz station just around the corner and it provides great access to the Hudson River waterfront district and a short walk to the world trade centre site (under reconstruction).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CRANBR23
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Checked in on Friday and we needed two rooms. They worked with us so we could be next to each other. The service is great and the rooms comfortable. The subway lines are close and cabs are easy to get. I stay at Marriotts all the time and this was consistent with my expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Statue of Liberty are lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cathdav

We at the NY Marriott Downtown strive to provide excellent service. We are happy we were able to accommodate your request by having your rooms placed next to each other. We are pleased to hear your expectations were met.

Kind Regards,
Karen

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel more times than I can recall, but recently returned after using the Battery City Hilton for the past year. I prefer this location which has many subway lines close to the hotel.
The new, non Marriott diner is noisy and unfriendly, but there are other places nearby.
The rooms are OK, and higher levels have good views. The bathroom has no shower cap or shower gel, but I remembered that from before and brought my own. Also bring my own kettle as you can't make tea with a coffee machine.
The mini bar is empty but is a good working fridge, so I avoided breakfast costs and bought supplies from the local supermarket.
Unlike others, I didn't find any problems with the internet and appreciated the hotel not charging, a bonus.
This is a busy hotel, and that means the personal side of service is a bit lacking. But I guess I'll be back again, and will pack the extras!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Though we live in the City, decided to see the World Trade Center Memorial and spend some quality time together. As stated in the title, this was not inexpensive, but well worth it nonetheless. We treated ourselves to the restaurant which was just fantastic, from service to food, walked around the Memorial and was just so beautiful and sad yet hope filled at the same time. Walked back to the Hotel to a very pleasing 'turn down service', what we have come to expect from Marriott. We visited the Museum the next day and it was so moving and touching. Always aware we were on Hallowed ground. Didn't quite understand the dustup regarding the memento store (we have seen this at other Memorials and as long as it was 'tastefully' done and the funds used to support the Museum had no issue with it. (I know some of you want to define 'tasteful', I can only think of what former Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart's answer to a different issue- "I know it when I see it"! All in all a great overnight!

Room Tip: A higher room facing west.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple