“Okay if discounted but not at full price”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #192 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We got a 148 usd rate per night which we found was good value for the money. However, if we had paid full price I think we would have been very disappointed. Pros: Thann Amenities which was nice; flexibility and giving us 2 beds instead of 1; good location downtown; good doormen. Cons: staff fairly disinterested (reception); rooms dated (they need to remodel).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tsfoxen
Aliia K, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay for the price you paid. We get a lot of good coments about our amenities and I'm glad you liked them. I'm sorry to hear that our staff seemed disinterested, we always thrive to meet our geusts' expectations and I'm sorry that we didn't meet yours. We hope to host you in future at the New York Marriott Downtown.

Aliia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The New York Marriott Downtown is my go to hotel in NY. The staff there is friendly and professional; but Chef Edward Pasch standout an exceptional. Most importnatly, as the Chef, Edward Pasch is excellent at preparing dishes. He takes a great deal of pride in the taste, presentation, and the customer experience. In short, he is everything you want and expect in a Chef (and I have a good sense since my immediate family includes gourmet chets. My (chefs) hat is off to Edward Pasch. He will keep me coming back to this Marriott property.

Room Tip: Consdier whether you prefer a room across the river to Jersey or with a view of the Statue of Libert...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan S
Karen W, Internet Correspondence Specialist at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We are thrilled to hear The New York Marriott Downtown is your go to hotel in NY. We are so happy you think Chef Edward Pasch is exceptional! He loves to cook. We are so lucky to have him. I will definitely pass on your comment to him.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Excellent location for visiting Lower Manhattan, especially the World Trade Center site. Hotel is right around the corner from the new 9/11 Museum & Memorial. Very convenient to all sights in the financial district, and Statue Of Liberty. Hotel was very clean, and the staff was extremely helpful, and friendly. Wifi worked well in the lobby, but not so much in the rooms on the 36th floor. Bill's Bar & Burger is connected to the hotel with very good food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hjbear23

Our location is one of our biggest assets. It is close to many sites such as the World Trade Center and 9/11 Museum. We are pleased you found the staff to be extremely helpful, and friendly. We apologize that the wifi did not work that well on the 36th floor. We are looking into it.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Next to the financial district, and the Battery park. Excelent rooms, very spacious. There is a huge bar serving excelent burgers, one of them being awarded top 10 burgers 2013 by the CNN. Walking distance from the Statue of Liberty ferry.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you found our rooms to be excellent and spacious. We are happy you enjoyed the burgers from Bill’s Burgers & Bar.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Nice hotel. We loved the location right near WTC Memorial and downtown is our preferred area, particularly at night. It was so nice to walk down by the river at night looking over to Jersey City.

Room was a little dated but comfortable. Nice big bed. A/c packed in on our last night though and it got very hot indeed.

Surprised no free wifi in room - these days that's quite unusual. Does anyone still pay for wifi? Really?

Ate in Bill's Bar & Burger - surprisingly good.

If we could get the same great rate we'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NottsPanther75
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the area around the hotel and our restaurant. I am sorry that your air conditioning unit was not working properly during your stay. I understand how frustrating this must have been for you and your family. I am sorry that our staff was not able to better assist you so you would not have had to incur an uncomfortable night.

I hope we can see you again so we can truly wow you.

Aileen

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Marriott Downtown, this was a work visit - the office was around 10 minutes walk away, but could take longer due to the amount of construction/disruption going on in the surrounding area, but obviously out of control of the hotel.

In terms of the hotel itself, I had no issues with the room, bed was comfortable, was plenty of storage space, would have preferred free WIFI in the room as is becoming the norm nowadays where I stay. The shower took a while to get up to temperature, but once there was pretty decent. There were only three lifts servicing the floor, so at busy times there could be a wait - and one of the lifts seem to have a mind of it's own, going down, back up before going to the ground level.

In terms of the neighbourhood, it was pretty quiet, outside of the people going to the 9/11 Memorial, but Battery Park City & Tribeca are only a short walk away.

I managed the two week visit without using the subway or using a cab (I did bring my own bike with me) and ride up the west of Manhatten on the cycle path to the Intrepid / around 42nd Street is around a 20 minute ride, George Washington Bridge took around 45-50 minutes (on a Brompton) - so although it might be in a quiet area, it didn't take long to get into the heart of the city and if you don't bring your own bike, use a Citi-Bike - but bring a helmet.

In terms of the Bar & Restaurant, I found the staff at both to be pleasant and they seemed to work between the two, but was hard to find a decent "healthy" meal, but what I did eat was tasty enough, even if it had more calories than I really wanted to consume, I rarely saw the bars overly full, but as a lone traveler I struck up a fair few conversations with staff and guests alike to while away the time.

Unfortunately during my stay, they were doing up the gym, so what was available I did not end up using, hopefully what they are building will be good, not sure if they are going to have a pool - I clicked on "terrible" by mistake in the ratings, there needs to be an "n/a" instead

It's not the best hotel, nor the best Marriott I have stayed at, but that said I had a pretty good experience and would recommend the hotel if you want somewhere a little quieter in the middle of chaos to have as your base

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! It sure looks like you had a good time in NYC! We are located in a quieter part of NYC but as you stated it is easy to get around to the different areas. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the elevators. We are working on this situation. Our fitness center is being remodeled at this time. We look forward to having a new state of the art fitness center open in the near future.
Hope you visit us again!

Aileen

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We decided to visit NYC to see the WTC Memorial and museum. This Marriott is in the perfect location if that is what you're going to see. We talked at length with the Marriott bellman who was there at the time of the great tragedy and gave us quite a bit of insight as to what is was like that day as well as what it was like during the recovery period. The hotel itself is very nice, clean, and quite affordable considering its location. You could easily pay two or three times the money and have the same type of room somewhere else. I liked the fact that we could walk to Battery Park, and were in close proximity to the subway. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to NYC by visiting the WTC Memorial and museum. We are pleased you found our hotel affordable considering its location. Our location is one of our best assets.

We hope you visit soon!