“Solid Service and Quality”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #196 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for about 8 weeks between April and July. It is an older hotel, but the location is great, and the service was very good. Liked having a refrigerator in each room.

Overall, a quality hotel with a few drawbacks, but great customer service.

Had tub drainage issues in 2 of the 8 rooms during my stay (reported/not resolved)
Had some ceiling mold in 2 of the 8 rooms during my stay (not reported)
Had an increasingly loud/very loud climate control system once (reported/resolved the next day)
Had issues with the temperature once, not completely cooling down (not reported)
Had issues with noise during two stays (reported/resolved within 20 minutes)

Some experiences during my stay:

Was a little frustrated that they closed their fitness center for renovations on April 15th right before my first stay, and have a temporary room with more limited hours (open till 9pm). The new center is scheduled to be open sometime in August. They were kind enough to extend the hours (originally only open till 7pm) and provided some comps (internet) when guests were frustrated.

Had a room next to a loud icemaker after checking in with a migraine. Called to see if I could be moved and found out the hotel was completely booked, and they would try to find me a new room tomorrow. They called back about 20 minutes later to let me know a cancellation had come in, had someone come down to help me move. When the attendant realized I had a migraine and couldn't find my medicine, he asked what I normally take and came back with Aleve free of charge. They also noted not to give me rooms ending with #13 in the future. Really nice service.

Good to know info:
-Ask if they still have a promotion for free internet and they might give that to you.
-The Variety Market on Greenwich was my go-to for very close miscellaneous items (i.e., water, snacks, toiletries) less than hotel price. Used the rear entrance, walked down Carlisle Street, turn right at the boxing place, it's on that block, left side, green sign after the pizza place.
-Gristedes by Battery Park City and Zeytuna at John and William St are good grocery options.
-Personally liked Salaam Bombay and Juices/Smoothies from Stamina for delivery options that are good working around random food allergies.
-Good running paths if you cross the street, by the Hudson and Battery Park, much easier running North.

Room Tip: -Rooms ending with 13 have a good view but significant ice-maker noise. -All rooms have a refrigera...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for being a loyal guest. We are disheartened to hear about the issues with your previous stays. We take all our guest feedback very seriously. We are looking into the issues you have mentioned and are working to solve these problems so that other guest won’t face them too. We appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Aileen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is by far, the BEST concierge lounge I've ever been to! Located at the top of the hotel on the 36th floor or so, it has spectacular views, including a view of the Statue of Liberty. Shrimp cocktail at night, smoked salmon for breakfast -- best food at a concierge lounge. If you get a corner room the size is huge for a NYC hotel room. Great views if you ask for a water view. Walking distance to the Financial District and the Wall Street bull and Staten Island Ferry. A few blocks away from 9/11 museum and Century 21. Walk to the waterfront. Metro station a couple blocks away. Great location for 9/11 museum and financial district. REALLY nice people at reception except when I had to check out. That person wasn't so nice and I had to correct a problem. Mini fridge (a real one -- no mini bar inside) so you can store stuff. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. Only drawback is the gym is still being remodeled.There's a pool but I didn't use it. Souvenir shops and restaurants right outside. Really good beds and linens.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, corner room, with water views. It might cost extra though.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Karen W, Internet Correspondence Specialist at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We are thrilled you believe our hotel has the best Concierge Lounge. Additionally, we are happy you thought the food in the lounge was delicious. Our staff is always eager to help, so we do apologize if the person checking you out was not so nice. We are currently remodeling our gym; it will be open by the end of August. We actually do not have a pool. Thank you for your feedback. We hope you check out our new gym next time you come back and let us know what you think!

Karen

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at a few Marriott's , this is not the best. The a/c didn't work well , the toilet didn't flush well, the exhaust fan in bathroom didn't work, so the ceiling had mold and
dripping water , while taking a shower.
Oh I want to the front desk told them and she said there will fix it but things still the same.
I made reservations for view over looking Statue of Liberty ,
Instead got a view of construction site!!
By the way I'm a Marriott rewards member!!
To say I'm disappointed is a under statement !
I think a motel 6 would have done a better job!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank GuestRelationsS8
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback. We at the New York Marriott Downtown strive to provide a brilliant experience. I am very disappointed to hear about your stay and would like to discuss your issues so that we can ensure our future guests do not have the same experience. I can be contacted at 212-385-4900

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Very good location. Restaurants around the corner, 9-11 memorial at a glance. Easy access from La Guardia or JFK airports via Brooklyn or Manhattan bridge. Many possibilities as of subway access (Wall St, Rector St, etc. etc.) and many lines go by. Fedex location on spot, good for business travelers or tourist looking for a little more luxury.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mixedman

We believe our location is one of our biggest assets. It is convenient to many places. We can’t wait to see you again on your next business trip!

Karen

Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you are looking for a less expensive room with a view of the Statue of Liberty, the New York Marriott Downtown does it for about ½ of what you’ll pay at the Ritz Battery Park. Although the room rates are extremely good, expect to pay for add-ons like high speed wifi. The hotel has plenty of nice points, but a spa or fitness club are a good 10 to 20 minute walk. The hotel has a goodly number of weekend deals. Shop around with their reservations clerk. They’ll find you something. The staff are young and could use a bit of enthusiasm.

Room Tip: Upstairs cost more, but the view and noise barriers are better.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank roemanner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is through our guest reviews and comments that we learn where we need to improve our performance. I hope you will come again so we can truly wow you.

Kind Regards,
Ailen

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We moved to this hotel so we could visit the WTC memorial, the museum had yet to open. and the downtown area having never stayed in this part of New York City. The location for visiting the WTC can not be beat as you can step outside, or if you have a view check from your window, and see how long are. They also offered passes to the site which helped a bit with the lines.

We had moved from another hotel to the Marriott thinking it would have bigger rooms as well as a new location to explore. Our room was nice but small and at over $375 on a weekend not the bargain I had hoped for. I thought it would be a "nice" Marriott but have to say that their was nothing special. Breakfast was pretty bad though not expensive by New York standards but the bar was a plus with reasonable prices for a New York hotel - we had appetizers in the bar that were better than any of the other places I ate in the hotel. The elevators took quite a while at certain hours and on a couple of occasions we had to wait well over five minutes to find one we could squeeze into.

In the course of a year I typically stay at a number of Marriott hotel which I usually rate between three and four stars, this one, relatively new and catering to business people during the week, I expected to be a strong four -t I was disappointed as only the bar should get four stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jsthouston
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

JSHouston thank you for your review! As a New York Property I understand your feeling that the rooms may seem small. We do love the lounge and its atmosphere! We take your experience in the restasurant for breakfast food very seriously and I want you to know we have passed this information on to the proper managers. Thank you also for the kind words about our staff. We have a great team!

Kind regards,

Mark

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Arrived early from long flight. They got a room ready within 30 minutes of our arrival at 8 am. Had breakfast at Bill's where we were treated to first class service from Michelle. The front desk with Cheryl made you feel important. The manager greeted you when you came in and the porters were wonderful! The room was extremely nice and the maid service first class! Having travelled from Kauai they really treated us with Aloha! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Argaret

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I am glad that you have such a fantastic stay. I will make sure to pass on your wonderful comment to Cheryl. I am happy that she was able to take such good care of you.