“Close to 9/11 Memorial”

Ranked #204 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boise, Idaho
“Close to 9/11 Memorial”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my first visit to New York City and I was pleased with my stay at this hotel. My stay included 3 nights with two other adult family members. The staff always offered to help and they were very kind and complimentary as well. We stayed on the 7th floor which offered a view of the Hudson River. We did not experience any noise from the very nearby construction that is taking place at the 9/11 Memorial site. No sound of traffic noise could be heard from the room, except for the occasional sirens from the emergency vehicles that would pass by. The hotel is a short walking distance from the 9/11 Memorial site, the Trinity Church and Cemetery, Zuccotti Park, the Esplanade along the Hudson River, the Irish Hunger Memorial (which was a nice surprise to stumble upon), a Regal movie theater, Shake Shack and the NY Subway system. The Brooklyn Bridge is also a easy and doable walking distance from this hotel. I would not mind staying at this hotel again if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LyHoward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I took a little side trip from CT to Manhattan to see the Macy's fireworks display on July 4th. It was a short walk from this hotel to the Brooklyn Bridge. When I checked in, the Concierge lounge was closed, so I was comp'd breakfast - nice touch! I was upgraded to a junior suite which was totally unexpected and so appreciated! I had a corner room with an awesome view of Ellis Island. The bellhop was so thoughtful and gave us recommendations for dinner and fireworks viewing. This property is run so professionally! I was so impressed with my room and the excellent customer service that I extended my stay another night. I told everyone I knew about this hotel and I'll return again. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ArmyNurse2
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a great stay at the Marriott Downtown. We arrived at 6am (due to a redeye flight), they were able to accommodate us in one of the only two available rooms to let us sleep until our other room was available at no cost. We were there for four nights and had great service. Our room was always cleaned and since we were in an out of the room during the day, they would even come clean our room in the evenings while we were out for dinner, which was easier for our schedule. I have no complaints about this hotel, the staff was very accommodating and the room was comfortable and clean.

The area is not particularly the best location for what we were doing in NYC. I would imagine it's a great location for business travelers or for those who want to be close to the financial district or statue of liberty. But it's pretty far from central park, times square, shopping, etc. However it was convenient to get over to Brooklyn fairly easily (except during rush hour!)

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger. There are some rooms that will give you a view of the statue of liberty or...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the New York Downtown Marriott for 11 nights for our 30th anniversary trip.
The hotel was beautiful. The room was amazing. And the staff was exceptional.
Dee Dee from the concierge lounge was the sweetest, friendliest and kindest person you could ever want to meet. She would go out of her way to make sure you had items that you wanted or needed.
The housekeeping staff was excellent. They tried to do whatever they could to full your requests also.
Our view from our rooms window was spectacular . We had a room on the 36th floor that looked directly at the new Freedom Tower for the new World Trade Centre. What a beautiful sight to see every morning.
The front desk staff were helpful when asking them for area information or places to eat.
Hubby asked where to order pizza from one evening because we were too tired to go out for dinner. We were told of an place ( Steve's Pizza) and so we decided to try it. Oh my, we were more then happy with the pizza we received. I have to say pizza is one of my favourite foods so my standards are fairly high. This one did NOT disappoint. In fact it was SO good that we made sure to order it again from the same place one more time before we left to return home. All in all it was a great trip with nothing to complain about.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1MicheleF64
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

When staying here a week ago, left an article of clothing in the room, when called, they promptly mailed it back. This is the 4th or 5th time I have stayed here. Always a pleasure and great room with view of the Statue of Liberty.

Room Tip: Room on river side 15th floor+
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here with three people for three nights. We were on the 7th floor and did not notice any noise issues. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and in good repair.

The area is under construction (9/11 and WTC reconstruction), not that it was a problem, just something to be aware of.

The area otherwise quiet and a nice respite from the tourist crammed area around Times Square. The restaurant is average. There aren't a lot of restaurants in the area, you may want to make plans to eat further uptown when you stay in the area.

I recommend taking a walk along the Esplanade and seeing the Irish Hunger Memorial.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for the great comments about our staff. We were very happy to host you and your friends. It seems we could have done better on the food selections in Bill' Bar & Burger.
The Downtown area is growing in selections of restuarants especially with the new opening of Brookfiled place.

Hope to serve you again,

Mark
Cave Creek, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. the location is very convenient as far as transportation, but the area is kind of dead. I guess this is still the lingering affects of 911. The hotel staff is wonderful. They are very helpful and accommodating, so no complaint there. The restaurant is awful, and the only plus for me food wise was the Starbucks in the back which closes early BTW. My room was spacious, clean, and modern, but very noisy and I was on the 14th floor. The bed was terrible (the floor was more comfortable). My neck and spine still hurt from the bed sinking in the middle. The lobby is very awkward as there are a few steps and if you have heavy luggage and the door staff is busy, you'll find yourself dragging your luggage a few steps up. The rotating door is inadequate and outdated. It may have served its purpose in the early 80's perhaps, but not anymore. The façade is from the 70's and it screams remodel.

Room Tip: I don't think any of the rooms are quiet, but the lower the louder, so pick a room above the 15t...
Green Features: They don't do anything different than any other chain.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for the excellent comments about our staff. I know the area is continuing to develop and the 9/11 museum has just opened. I an very distressed to hear about your bed. We take this very seriously and I will make sure to change this box spring or mattress as this is the most important element to our guests. We really appreciate your feedback.