“Good concierge lounge; building works outside hotel”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #193 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We managed to get a brilliant deal using the price match facility for a Statue of Liberty view. As I had a Gold Elite card with Marriott, I was offered an upgrade on arrival but only after I asked. I was offered a suite on the 19th floor facing the river, but was told that the view would be fairly obscured. My partner and I were tired from travelling and decided that we would stick with the Statue of Liberty view as it was my first time in New York - we decided that we'd rather freshen up than view both the original room and the upgraded suite. We didn't really feel that we needed the extra space given we'd spend so little time in the room anyway.

The Statue of Liberty view room was small (as my partner informs me is typical of middle-range hotel rooms in New York City) and I was disappointed to find that the bottles of water in the room were charged for - I find this particularly frustrating and disappointing given that we are regular guests of the hotel. Happily, we found that there were free bottles of water in the concierge lounge on the top floor.

The concierge lounge is well situated although only appears to be open at certain times. I went for breakfast before 10am and managed to grab a two plates of food - one for me, one for my partner. The lovely concierge lady was very happy to get this wrapped up for me (I didn't ask - she offered when she saw me leaving and she said "It'll keep it clean in case anybody coughs in the elevator". That was a really nice touch even though I was only going down three floors in the elevator and my room was right next to the elevator). The breakfast was great and well stocked so thank you - sausages, bacon, muffins, toast, coffee, tea, eggs, nom nom nom! However, I returned later on at midday with my partner as I wanted to show her the view and thought she could grab some fruit - the lounge was disappointingly closed and I didn't see any times on the door to tell me when it would reopen (perhaps I missed it?).

The location is great for the World Trade Centre memorial. However, there is a lot of work on at the moment outside the hotel which made it difficult to walk to the hotel from the nearest subway. It was about a 10-15 minute walk and we had to rely on our phones in order to direct us otherwise we may have had some trouble (and would have resorted to a taxi). It was particularly difficult to identify which building was the Marriott until we were directly in front of the building because all the building works nearby obscured our view of the Marriott sign. Luckily, the building site workers were more than happy to direct us.

I asked for two dressing gowns to be sent to the room and was fairly disappointed that these were not already in the room, as this is fairly standard in any hotel for these to be in the bedrooms. As such, I had to tip which is pretty irritating for what should be a standard service rather than one that needs to be requested.

Just a few of my thoughts above on what was a generally good experience.

Room Tip: Statue of Liberty view on a high floor - use the best price guarantee to try to get this as cheap as...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear James D,

We are happy to learn that you had a wonderful experience in the Concierge Lounge, and that you had a delightful breakfast there. Our Concierge lounge is open from 6:30-10 AM for breakfast, 5:30-7:30pm for hor d’oeuvres and 7:30-10pm for desserts.

I would like to extend my personal apologies for any inconveniences you faced while you were here. We are always happy to accommodate special requests or needs, so I hope you will reach out to us with any information we may use to better exceed your expectations during your next stay with us.

Joe

Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my first visit to New York City and I was pleased with my stay at this hotel. My stay included 3 nights with two other adult family members. The staff always offered to help and they were very kind and complimentary as well. We stayed on the 7th floor which offered a view of the Hudson River. We did not experience any noise from the very nearby construction that is taking place at the 9/11 Memorial site. No sound of traffic noise could be heard from the room, except for the occasional sirens from the emergency vehicles that would pass by. The hotel is a short walking distance from the 9/11 Memorial site, the Trinity Church and Cemetery, Zuccotti Park, the Esplanade along the Hudson River, the Irish Hunger Memorial (which was a nice surprise to stumble upon), a Regal movie theater, Shake Shack and the NY Subway system. The Brooklyn Bridge is also a easy and doable walking distance from this hotel. I would not mind staying at this hotel again if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LyHoward
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I took a little side trip from CT to Manhattan to see the Macy's fireworks display on July 4th. It was a short walk from this hotel to the Brooklyn Bridge. When I checked in, the Concierge lounge was closed, so I was comp'd breakfast - nice touch! I was upgraded to a junior suite which was totally unexpected and so appreciated! I had a corner room with an awesome view of Ellis Island. The bellhop was so thoughtful and gave us recommendations for dinner and fireworks viewing. This property is run so professionally! I was so impressed with my room and the excellent customer service that I extended my stay another night. I told everyone I knew about this hotel and I'll return again. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArmyNurse2
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a great stay at the Marriott Downtown. We arrived at 6am (due to a redeye flight), they were able to accommodate us in one of the only two available rooms to let us sleep until our other room was available at no cost. We were there for four nights and had great service. Our room was always cleaned and since we were in an out of the room during the day, they would even come clean our room in the evenings while we were out for dinner, which was easier for our schedule. I have no complaints about this hotel, the staff was very accommodating and the room was comfortable and clean.

The area is not particularly the best location for what we were doing in NYC. I would imagine it's a great location for business travelers or for those who want to be close to the financial district or statue of liberty. But it's pretty far from central park, times square, shopping, etc. However it was convenient to get over to Brooklyn fairly easily (except during rush hour!)

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger. There are some rooms that will give you a view of the statue of liberty or...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the New York Downtown Marriott for 11 nights for our 30th anniversary trip.
The hotel was beautiful. The room was amazing. And the staff was exceptional.
Dee Dee from the concierge lounge was the sweetest, friendliest and kindest person you could ever want to meet. She would go out of her way to make sure you had items that you wanted or needed.
The housekeeping staff was excellent. They tried to do whatever they could to full your requests also.
Our view from our rooms window was spectacular . We had a room on the 36th floor that looked directly at the new Freedom Tower for the new World Trade Centre. What a beautiful sight to see every morning.
The front desk staff were helpful when asking them for area information or places to eat.
Hubby asked where to order pizza from one evening because we were too tired to go out for dinner. We were told of an place ( Steve's Pizza) and so we decided to try it. Oh my, we were more then happy with the pizza we received. I have to say pizza is one of my favourite foods so my standards are fairly high. This one did NOT disappoint. In fact it was SO good that we made sure to order it again from the same place one more time before we left to return home. All in all it was a great trip with nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1MicheleF64
Reviewed 4 August 2014

When staying here a week ago, left an article of clothing in the room, when called, they promptly mailed it back. This is the 4th or 5th time I have stayed here. Always a pleasure and great room with view of the Statue of Liberty.

Room Tip: Room on river side 15th floor+
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here with three people for three nights. We were on the 7th floor and did not notice any noise issues. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and in good repair.

The area is under construction (9/11 and WTC reconstruction), not that it was a problem, just something to be aware of.

The area otherwise quiet and a nice respite from the tourist crammed area around Times Square. The restaurant is average. There aren't a lot of restaurants in the area, you may want to make plans to eat further uptown when you stay in the area.

I recommend taking a walk along the Esplanade and seeing the Irish Hunger Memorial.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for the great comments about our staff. We were very happy to host you and your friends. It seems we could have done better on the food selections in Bill' Bar & Burger.
The Downtown area is growing in selections of restuarants especially with the new opening of Brookfiled place.

Hope to serve you again,

Mark