“NYC Great Hotel”

Ranked #201 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Charleston, SC
“NYC Great Hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel has a great location in lower Manhattan near 9/11 Memorial. The hotel is clean and staff very helpful and friendly. The restaurant attached to the hotel was awesome for breakfast!! Loved staying in the city and great places to visit if you love to walk or you can take a taxi!! Nice view of the river from our window.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LOVINCHARLESTON

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here twice and really enjoyed it both times: excellent views of the Hudson and New York Harbor, convenient to subways and several good restaurants (including the one in-house), and the staff had always been helpful and accommodating. Not cheap (not sure there is such a thing in NYC), but a great base of operations for sightseeing.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank snowmp
Ajax, Ontario
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As travel advisors, Cathy and I were getting a number of enquiries about short vacations to NYC so we decided to take advantage of an Air Canada agent special. We booked into the Marriott New York Downtown from may 30th - June 2nd 2014. We were very much impressed with the property and would certainly have no problem recommending it to our clients who might be traveling to NYC. It is like a boutique hotel surrounded by the towers of the financial district, and right next store to the new 911 Memorial / Museum and the new WTC Transportation Hub scheduled to open next year. The concourse will conveniently connect visitors to 11 different subway lines, the Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) rail system, Battery Park City Ferry Terminal, the World Trade Center Memorial Site, WTC Towers 1, 2, 3, and 4, the World Financial Center and the Winter Garden. It will represent the most integrated network of underground pedestrian connections in New York City. A short walk to Battery Park allows great access to water taxis and hop on hop off buses.

All of the staff we encountered, including in Bills Westside Bar, were extremely friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. I was very impressed with the doorman who arranged a private car to take us to the airport on departure. The bottle of wine & chocolates in our room was a great birthday surprise and certainly put to good use.

On Sunday we took the water taxi around the statue of Liberty and up to 75th Street. From there we walked to Broadway and took in a 3:00 matinee, Matilda at the Shubert Theater. What an amazing show. When we bought the water taxi tickets we also purchased the on-off bus tickets for the Monday. We stood at the One World Trade Centre stop on Broadway from 10:15 until 11:20 before a bus showed up. During that time we counted over a dozen other sightseeing buses going by. Once we were on our bus, we found that the headsets were not working and the only info we received was the odd announcement from the driver over the speaker. We transferred to the uptown loop and again no information from the headsets, just music. I mentioned this to the driver and another Open Tours staff member who said he would check it out, but gave me no feedback. Suffice to say, our overall impression with Open Tours is far from impressive and although their buses are brand new, the only thing going for them was there were hardly any passengers while the Big Bus and Grey Line were packed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Joe D, General Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Chuckrrr,

It was a pleasure to read your review. We hope you and Cathy enjoyed your birthday! We are thrilled you were impressed with our property and would recommend it. We are pleased to hear our staff provided brilliant experiences. We hope you got a beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty. If you ever need tour bus suggestions, our concierge will be more than happy to assist you.

Warm Regards,

Joe
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I arrived after getting off at the incorrect subway line and having to ask countless people where it was. It was 1/2 block from where I was going in the morning. The staff is excellent and answered my questions readily. I had breakfast in the concierge lounge and it was excellent. My room was spacious and overlooked the Hudson River and all of New Jersey. The only issue was that the health club was under renovation and some fitness equipment was put into 2 hotel rooms, very crowded.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DianeC91
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We went for a 3 day break. It is located in the financial district close to the 9/11 site. Walking distance to Times Square and NYSE. Also ideal for Statute of Liberty. Quality hotel. Breakfast was excellent, great choice and plenty of food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adam B
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The staff at the Downtown Marriott are among the nicest group of people I've been around in a long, long time. Recently spent three nights there and I can't get over how nice the staff members were. Started with Troy the doorman - a great smile, a very polite and genuine hello and a happy go lucky sense of efficiency. The front desk and the bell staff were exrememly cordial and warm. The folks in Bill's (the restaurant in the lobby) were amazing. In particular Michelle, perhaps one of the best servers I've ever met and Emilio, the manager, both of whom really get it!!!! After two mornings at breakfast it felt like we had been friends with Michelle forever! Mr. McMahon, Head of Security - outstanding and finally Victoria in housekeeping. I left some stuff behind in my room. When I realized it I called the hotel late at night and spoke with Victoria. She put me on hold for a minute and when she came back on the phone told me she had what I was missing and she would overnight it to me, free of charge! I received the stuff 2 days later! Can't say enoughh about the staff members - I'd visit again in a minute!
Thanks for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: You can ask for either a Statue of Liberty view, Hudson River view or World Trade Center view - all...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear John4444444,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for submitting your experience online on TripAdvisor. As a General Manager, I am always happy to read comments like yours. I will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to Troy, the front desk, the bell staff, Michelle, Emilio, Mr. McMahon, and Victoria. We are so lucky to have an outstanding staff! I am also glad to hear we were able to return your lost items back to you.

It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to the Marriott Downtown in the near future!

Warm Regards,

Joe
Houston
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The staff was cordial and accommodating. The doorman was very helpful with advice on where to eat and the best way to get around town. We attended a convention held in the hotel and found everything to be first class. I will stay here again and recommend it to others

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business