“High expectations on service and sadly disappointed”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #200 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“High expectations on service and sadly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I was very excited to stay here after reading all the excellent reviews specially regarding customer service. The hotel is overall an excellent one, rooms are spacious and I like the location. I was very disappointed though with the quality of customer service I received upon check in. I was expecting a helpful staff but was greeted with an less than average service, no questions about anything but to hand a credit card an ID. After that stark greeting me and my fiance headed to our room just to find that the door did not lock and that it was a room with two double beds. We headed back to the front desk and notified the staff that the door was not working and that we would also would like to have a room with one bed. The response from the staff was that the only rooms
left had a better view and that they were expecting customers who paid a higher rate to occupy them and because we did not pay for it then the only rooms available for us were two double bed rooms. I felt insulted, I guess that is how people who don't book directly with the hotel are treated. He did give us a room at a higher floor, I guess as a consolation prize. I was very much looking forward to having a great experience at this hotel, I'm very disappointed that my high expectations were crushed right at registration.

• Stayed August 2014
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am very disheartened to hear about your experience. We at New York Marriott Downtown strive to provide our guests with a Brilliant Stay. I am sorry that we failed to give you this experience. While we try to provide our guests with all of their requested sometimes we are unable to do this but we never want our guests to be insulted. I apologize if this was the case with you. We take this experience very seriously and will be using your experience as a retraining tool for our staff .

I hope you will give us a second change to wow you. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

Kind Regards,
Aileen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is probably one of the best hotels I've ever visited. The beds were just so comfortable. The rooms were so clean. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. After staying 3 nights I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cairo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

The hotel location is next to world trade center, and less than 10min walking from wall street metro station. Also you can walk to wall street and statue of liberty station.

the hotel rooms are small but clean and organized. The check in and out was very easy and simple

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We at the New York Marriott Downtown are happy to assist you. I am pleased to hear that the front desk provided you with a seamless arrival and departure experience.

Hope you visit us again.

Regards,
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Flew in,30 hrs flight 1130pm.slack at first entrance,manager was nice.though
Room ordered was king but when i entered it was a special needs room.they did not know that i had an illness.
The shower was so small you needed special needs as so small and with the bars could hardly stand and so slippery.
i asked them for another room,yes 2 beds in room,i said for get it although still on the website they were selling king bed rooms.The rooms were just 3 star at that
the next door couples were fighting all night,slamming doors etc.
no sleep.
On the website they did not say that there gym was being renovated,they put the whole gym into one guest room ridiculous!!!!!
That night the couple from hell at 4am were at it again,called security but the desk also was slack.
so awake and could not sleep.again
Sorry but overall everybody there were just so slow,maybe 5 per hour you get what pay for but the room was over300 for a very very ordinary hotel.
oh also the one bar of soap for 3 days,things are really tough

Room Tip: this was a back room no view,maybe because i booked on hotel.com
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank likeitlumpit
Aileen G, Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for your stay. I can imagine how frustrating this experience must have been for you. This is not a typical experience for our guests. I am sorry that you were inconvenience by your neighbors. Please know that the hotel properly responded immediately to this occurrence.

I am pleased to announce that our new state of the art 2.000 square feet fitness center has opened. It included 17-7XI Matrix machines including treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes and climbmills, a Matrix Smith Machine with multiple weight plates, 9 Matrix Ultra Selectorized Weight Stations and a Matrix MyRide Cycle Experience.

I hope that you will give us another chance. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you in the future.

Regards,
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I enjoyed staying in this hotel. I think the best part about it was the great views. Though the rooms were not huge the view that you had from your room definitely made up for it. The hotel was in Manhattan right next to the 9/11 Memorial which I have been wanting to see for a while now so I was very excited to be able to be a staying in a hotel that was so close. Also near the hotel was many restaurants to eat as well as the one located inside of the hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

If you are interested in exploring lower Manhattan, then this is the hotel for you. WTC only steps away, Battery Park, Statue of Liberty and Wall St. are all only short walk (5-15 mins). We also walked over to South Street Seaport, then up to Little Italy and SoHO. Quite a walk, but very doable.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel was decent enough for a few night stay but the rooms are smaller than a traditional Marriott. This may be because it is located in the heart of downtown just steps away from the 9/11 Memorial and Wall St. The staff was friendly enough but did not go out of the way to make me feel special as Platinum Rewards member as other Marriotts have done. There was no gym in the hotel which surprised me. Overall this hotel was more than adaquate for a few days of business travel but I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank billchrz
Joe D, General Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear billchrz,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the New York Marriott Downtown. We truly value your feedback. We are pleased to announce our new state of the art fitness center has just opened this week. It has 9 Matrix weight stations, 17-7xi Matrix Machines including treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes and climbmills. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area for business so you can check out our new fitness center!

Warm Regards,