“Murray Hill East Sweet”

Murray Hill East Suites
Derby England
“Murray Hill East Sweet”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Selected this hotel as we always go for suites. Our usual hotel (The EastGate Tower) had closed down and was under renovation as luxury Condos.

The MHES was a block up from the Eastgate Tower and we had passed it many times on previous visits.

Check in was quick and easy and the room (1107) was already prepared.
As with the Eastgate Tower, if you are looking for plush decor and furniture, this place is not for you.

But like me, if you was a fan of the Eastgate Tower for it'slocation, cost and simplicity, then MHES is like home from home.

There were a few niggly things but I won't detract from the experience by mentioning them as if you look under enough stones, you will definitely find a worm.

My two adult children occupied the two beds in the bedroom while my wife and I ended up with the pull out sofa bed.

The mattress was really thin and was so uncomfortable that I prefered to sleep in an armchair with my feet up on a chair.

The only thing that annoyed me was the cost of the wireless in the bedroom, $7.99 a day and $60 a month, nothing in between.
As we were staying 7 days, the month tariff was a no brainer.

Wireless was free in the Lobby but charging for wireless anywhere is a sure way to lose potential clients.

On the day of leaving, we secured a late check out for 3pm but as it was raining really heavily and we had done most things already, we extended this to 7pm for a price.

Really great place in a great location in a great City.

PS
If you ask the hotel to arrange a taxi, town car or Limo to (or from) JKF, ensure that you confirm the cost including tolls before you get onboard.

Our driver tried to rip us off on the return to JFK, fortunately we had checked on what we would expect to pay at the hotel.

NYC taxis are a flat $52 + tolls and optional tip to and from JFK. You can ask for a route avoiding the toll and the drivers are happy to do this (at particular times) if you hint that it will be more tip for them.

Town cars are typically $65 including tolls.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor facing the street and were not really worried by street noise. I didn...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank glenne_n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was my second stay at Murray Hill East Suites and I was rather disappointed this time. I booked a studio and although I was told I had been upgraded, it was hard to see how the room I was given was an improvement on the basic studio. The decor was tired and the carpet was stained, giving an overall impression of lack of cleanliness. The amount of space is great, especially for NYC, and the room was quiet. However the airconditioning was noisy and there did not appear to be a way to vary the temperature (which was pretty warm). The kitchenette was barely adequate with no sign of the advertised microwave and dishwasher. Just a sink, a stove, an oven that set off the smoke alarm when turned on, a coffee machine and a few odds and sods of crockery and cutlery. 1 large saucepan and 1 small frying pan. Not enough to cook with, or even to heat food up.
The suites are still good value for NYC, the staff are good and there is free wifi in the lobby. I would stay there again, but I would recommend booking a 1-bedroom apartment if having any sort of functional kitchen is important to you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you prefer a room without too much street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lovethattravel
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is a very nice little hotel in midtown area, surrounded of bars and restaurants and a walk close to Grand station and The Empire state building. In a good neighborhood, I was able to walk late in the streets no problem, you have markets and pharmacy very close also.
The staff very nice, I have a double room, super spacious with kitchen (refrigerator, stove, plates, cups, and coffee maker), living room area, and a little round table. Good size bathroom. Clean and comfortable. There is Wi-Fi access in the lobby. The price, not cheap, 583.98$ for 2 nights, but is the price you pay for the area

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Isamira
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Good value for money. We stayed for 5 nights and the little kitchen helped a lot. There is a market close by to buy food and groceries and nice pizza just around the corner. It is nothing fancy but just what we needed. Good location - 3 blocks from grand central station.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HJBones
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 May 2013

For my second time in NY I choose the Murray, the suite 1107, for a 7 night stay, with plenty of room. Although facing directly the 39th,it was quite in the night, the noises from the street coming up around 7 am, ...but anyway, that's the time to get up and rush out! Kitchen well equipped. Bathroom tiny but with everything. Cleaning every day. Furniture a bit old style but never mind, since the position of this hotel is excellent to walk and visit everything and the trade off price/quality is excellent by NY standards. I tried the gym, located in the basement, facing a small garden. Staff at the reception very helpful, they satisfied efficiently all our requests, door men friendly.
I recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patpatou
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I really liked this little place. It's located an historic section of NYC. I only stayed one night and my room was on the ground floor so I can't speak for the views. The Murray Hill East Hotel is an excellent choice the room was and efficiency so you could stay for the week and make it your own. It stands close to numerous attractions, including the Empire State Building, Times Square, Lincoln Center, Madison Square Garden, the theaters on Broadway and Fifth Avenue shopping and you are within walking distance to the United Nations as well.

Room Tip: The staff is very helpful, again I don't think you could get a bad room but if you don't lik...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank C S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Plenty of room, good location, nice staff. Décor is a little dated but everything is in good shape and very clean. Great deal for the very reasonable prices. good place to stay if you're looking for decent place for fair money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple