“Still great value and very comfortable”

Murray Hill East Suites
San Francisco
“Still great value and very comfortable”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I returned to this hotel after a 5 year absence, and was pleased to find that it has remained a rare affordable oasis in a pleasant yet convenient part of midtown. The smallest suites are really suites, with a kitchenette that you can cook in, large closets (though limited hangers), and a spacious bedroom with eating table, desk, and sofa. There is a supermarket around the corner on Third open till 10.

Wifi is available to purchase for the room (I didn't test it) and free in the lobby. There is HDTV with a fair number of cable channels (not sure about rental movies or connectivity). Electronics are not this hotel's strong suit, however.

Where it shines is, first, quiet: thick interior walls to muffle the neighbors, windows that face the street and even open, yet the rooms don't admit so much street noise that you can't sleep.

And the decor, though plain and old fashioned, is clean and functional, with firm beds, and lamps and drawers and handles that work. Similarly, the bathroom, though small and spartan, had functional plumbing and lots of counter space.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I had never stayed in this part of New York and was worried I might not like it. Not only do I like the area, I also really like the hotel: the suits are spacious and pleasantly decorated. Impecably clean, the staff corteous .. what more can I say? Ah, and it is good value for money.

Room Tip: Get a unit facing the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I discovered Murray Hill East Suites through one of the online companies that do not disclose the hotel until one buys, desperate for a hotel when all the published rates were nearly $400 and up even for two star hotels. I was booked at Murray Hill. My room was upgraded, so I am uncertain how other rooms are, but mine was great. There is a living room-dining room and a bedroom bigger than many hotel rooms in New York. The galley kitchen is as big as many apartment kitchens and fully equipped. I really liked the fact that the kitchen is separated by a door from the rest of the suite. I find many suites where everything is in one room which I do not care for.

There is flat screen television in the bedroom and the living room. The suite is nicely furnished and extraordinarily comfortable.

The hotel is just three blocks from Grand Central Station, but it is on a quieter street with residences as well as commercial establishments. One reviewer complained of the lack of restaurants, but a short walk of just a few blocks provides ample spots for eating. And this is New York--a subway or a cab will quickly take you to a lifetime of restaurants.

Public areas are small, and the age of the hotel is visible. I actually was given a metal key rather than a card (more like Europe) which was fine. Service was great. The desk staff was helpful, as was Paul who stored my bags while I was in town on business.

In short, Murray Hill was a present surprise and I would happily return.

Room Tip: My room was 507 and it was terrific.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ken4401
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel was not our first choice but the only one still available within our budget due to the very busy Fashion Week/US Open.

The location was good--only a few blocks from Grand Central Station, and with many different restaurants within a half mile radius.

The hotel was OK. Our 4th story room looked out on East 39th Street, which was noisy during the weekdays because of buses and trucks as well as construction nearby, and quite noisy at night during the weekend. Loud revelers coming and going to and from the club/lounge next door all night kept us from getting a good night's sleep.

The room was very clean, and the bed linens quite acceptable, but the mattress on the bed was old, creaky and saggy. Definitely not good for my back. Word to the management: it is high time to replace this mattress. The towels, while clean, were very thin and also in need of replacement. WiFi was an extra $9 per day in the room. The TV was nice and had cable with many channels.

The small kitchenette was very useful for cooking up some breakfast. Perhaps a sharp kitchen knife to cut up fruits or vegetables should be added to the utensils.

The staff was very nice and responsive. When I requested a fan (the AC alone could not handle the high heat and humidity when we were there), it was delivered within minutes. The elderly doorman was very friendly and helpful, as was the younger one, although the 20-something doorman could take some pointers on friendliness from the other two. A simple smile of acknowledgment makes a huge difference to guests.

Pros: very clean, friendly staff, good location
Cons: saggy old mattress, noisy room

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible to avoid the street noise
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ElleLaJolla
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A travelling companion and I stayed at Murray Hill East Suites for a week in June. This was my 'first time stay' at Murray Hills and I would perhaps stay at my other choice of accommodation but it wasn't possible this trip. We love NYC - her first long time stay here and my 10th or more stay in this great city! In looks, our apartment was "conservative to verging on looking quite tired" in appearance. There was a small kitchen with a fridge, dishwasher, cook top and oven and tableware and a small array of cooking necessities + a coffee maker. Check in/out was efficient. There are 2 lifts servicing the 14 floors + penthouse. Staff were friendly and obliging. We had a Junior Suite (room 903 which was clean and apart from NYC's usual police/ambulance/street sweepers-rubbish collectors noises, it was relatively quiet and our room overlooked E39th Street and a dry cleaners) Bathroom was a combined bath/shower and toilet facility. 2 TV's (1 in the queen bed bedroom and 1 in the sitting/dining area) There was a small round table + 3 chairs for dining and a pull-out bed/sofa (typical sofa bed comfort here!) In the basement, was a DIY laundry with washers/dryers (you could buy detergents but we bought our own as it worked out to be a cheaper alternative. We had 5 weeks away from our homeland.) Surrounding our accommodation was an array of eateries/cafes and a great little bottle shop staffed by some wonderful people! D'Agostinos Market is closeby (bought cereals and milk etc for breakfasts but expensive !) but check out other locations for your specific food etc needs. Best find for our eating needs was the Every Day Café - a deli where you could purchase takeaway pre-made lunch and dinner selections at $7.99/lb and there was fruit/coffee/sandwich bar here too. Or, try Delmarco Café (at 3rd and 41st Streets) where you can purchase premade food selection takeaways for 50% off (=$4.25/lb)between 4-7pm. The Grand Central subway station was on Broadway and 42nd streets which was only a couple of blocks walk away from Murray Hills Suites - we bought a USD$30 7day unlimited subway pass - great value. (Take the S train to Times Square station) For us, the subway is the choice of transportation to get around this mighty city! Look out for street signs in brown colour - these indicate it is an historical area. We enjoyed our Wednesday Harlem Gospel Tour. They practise on a Wednesday - the main service is on a Sunday, of course. We used a 3 day pass on the Grayline for our various sight seeing needs. (Also included was a brief harbour cruise) I enjoyed lots of the wonderful museums again and also the Museum of the City of New York. So much to see and do in NYC - your choice of adventures - after years of visiting, I still haven't seen it all nor have I got tired of the experiences. Apologies for this long winded review!! :-) Can't wait to get back to NYC!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gribbsfam
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel room was spacious. Off the subway path. Clean rooms. Neighborhood very residential. No good restuarants close by. Would I stay here again? Probably not-due to location, not the hotel itself.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank khoff1961
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Perfect location, well kept, suits families. All requests were met immediately by a very welcoming staff. We were able to use the kitchenette in a good manner and had easy access everywhere

Value for money - very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family