“Excellent Staff and Good Large Hotel”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #183 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“Excellent Staff and Good Large Hotel”
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Staff are excellent at this property. I interacted with at least six staff members and all greeted me with smile and provide great personal, something I would not expect at such a large hotel. Location is in the middle of everything. Rooms are large and clean. Great gym with views of Times Square. Dedicated check-in for elite members with Fiji water and chocolates. Only draw back was the lobby has two nice bars, but the central one was always closed. I would stay again.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank MikeNCal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,395)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Western NC
Reviewed 22 October 2007

Pricey and busy - but exceptional service in a great location. We have stayed elsewhere & enjoyed it - but the Marquis will now be our NY home! Room and bath was quite large for NY; maid service was excellent, and all special requests were handled promptly. No issue with storage of luggage (checking in or out); or with elevator wait times. Our room had a great view of times square - which was wonderful in the late afternoon when we were worn out - could just sit & watch the world go by! Also was great after the theatre - instead of fighting the crowds at a restaurant, we popped into Junior's (right across the street) got carry-out, and took it up to the room! (and somewhat unusual for NY - the room has a coffeepot!) The upgrade often costs $$$ - but in our opinion it was worth it. When figuring costs, we also realized that we saved on cab fares being in this hotel, as we could walk to all theatres, rock center, etc. In addition to Juniors', there is a Starbucks in the lobby and on the street level of the hotel. Exercise room also overlooks times sq - all in all, a great property which we highly recommend!

• Liked — room size and view
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007
5 Thank sophiegirl04
Bristol, England
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Possibly the best location for a trip to New York - right in the heart of Times Square.

Rooms are comfortable & clean - mine had just the best view of the Times Square billboards.

Breakfast selection was good - although you really should eat out as much as possible, try the cheesecake at Juniors opposite.

Hotel staff were helpful and accommodating. I'd recommend this hotel for disabled guests.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank wiiiill
Boston
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Marquis and had a great time. I did not realize the check-in desk was on the 8th floor so I needed some guidance when entering the hotel at the street level. The staff was very professional and courteous in helping me. The assigned elevator system is a bit unique but I actually enjoyed the quick speed and the dramatic views. Only once did I feel crowded on my elevator rides. The room itself was clean and nicely furnished. Bigger than most hotel rooms in the city. I was on the 29th floor overlooking Times Square. Magnificent view! The bed and pillows were super comfortable. I did not experience any neighbor noise at all just some sirens from the street, but hey this is NYC!! I ordered pizza and wings from room service one evening during peak dinner hours. The service took about 40 minutes but the price was reasonable for a New York hotel. Food was tasty! The concierge desk suggested this great little diner nearby for Sunday brunch. The type of place you would probably not find on your own. During checkout my travel guest and I requested that the billing be adjusted so that we could evenly split the charges for our expense accounts. The desk staff handled this within 2 minutes and without any hassle. No complaints about this hotel. So if you're looking a good-sized, comfortable room and want to be in the middle of it all in Times Square then the Marriott Marquis is an excellent choice!

• Liked — Bed was heavenly
  • Disliked — No complaints here
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank mimicry
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2007

First impression of the ground floor of the hotel was not good, but as soon as we got to the lobby (on the 8th floor) everything changed. The hotel is lovely, the staff is wonderful. We had a fairly nice sized room with 2 queen beds. The beds and pillows were comfy! The bathroom was also a good size, although I wasn't crazy about the low water pressure in the shower.
Although I really enjoyed the hotel, I probably wouldn't stay in Times Square again. Although it is easy to get to other neighborhoods from it, it is a madhouse with crowded streets at all times!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank ChicagoKat
Pa.
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I went with my girlfriend to a conference and was utterly amazed how beautiful this hotel is.
Everyone was ready to help without even asking for it.
I felt save and secure with the security they have there,
and i was especially impressed with the hospitality coordinator,Felix Cruz.
He always greeted you with a smile and was asking if he could help you in any way.
I will definietly be staying ther again!

• Liked — Centrally located to all the theaters
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank hairdresserPa
France
Reviewed 1 October 2007

We just got back from a weeks stay in the Marquis. The location is good (if you don't mind the hectic Times Square). Easy access to shows and subways. The hotel itself if fine, but I would rate it more like a nice 3 star than a 4 star. The rooms/building is older, but well kept. The rooms are fine, but not luxurious. Old popcorn ceilings/walls and such. Just standard furnishings and bathrooms. No robes, no free hi-speed internet, no mini-bar. The bed were very nice though and comfortable. No problem with using the elevators.

Room service was terrible. When we reserved we ordered a cheese plate to be in our rooms when we arrived as we were arriving very late. When we checked in and the front desk confirmed that it was there and all was set (room service was still open, so it was not that they were shut down). We got to our room and it was not there. After an hour and 4 phone calls later it arrived! It was now 1am! Why bother pre-ordering! The next morning we called to order breakfast and they advised it would take at least 45 minutes as the elevators were busy. So no food again for us. A few days later I ordered a salad (well after dinner time rush) and it took almost an hour to get! That was a salad, nothing was even cooked!

So it is fine to stay at, clean and comfortable, but not luxury. We thought of it as more like a nice Best Western. Next time we will try somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business