“Outstanding location but $$$ and deceiving”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal, Canada
“Outstanding location but $$$ and deceiving”
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Of course, location is everything for this hotel: right in the middle of Times Square. Hard to beat.

The hotel is so huge it becomes overwhelming. It has 49 floors, 1892 rooms, 57 suites and 6 restaurants. Even if staff is friendly and professional, you just don't feel you belong there. You don't feel confortable. All human proportion is crushed under the traffic going around and the gigantism of the place (high speed elevators, 2 lobby floors, 40 floor high atrium, etc.)

The room was nice, confortable, spacious and up to Marriott standard. But your one the nearly 2000 rooms. No personnal sense here. No need to train staff to recognize who or to great you by your name !

Prices are also overwhelming. All prices (standard room around 500$/night, parking 50$/night, etc.) There are better deals around in Times Square.

• Liked — Location, good room
  • Disliked — Too huge (you don't feel like a human in such a huge place)
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,438)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Farmington, CT
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I stayed here with my wife in August of 2007. The hotel is right in the center of Times Square. The only problem is that everything costs about 10 dollars more that you'd expect to pay anywhere else. A couple of nights we ventured out past midnight and found that Times Square is a different animal late night. There were a lot of shady characters and I wasn't at all comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2007

We booked a room overlooking Times Square and it is well worth the extra charge. The view is mesmerising. Paid $489 - $523 per night and great value at that. This hotel is so centrally placed, the lifts are a thrilling experience in themselves, and the staff are very courteous and helpful. The 38-storey atrium is spectacular. A drink in The View lounge at the top is interesting, but the bars on check-in level on the 8th Floor are more comfortable. This hotel really made our 5 nights in NYC - we would recommend it to anyone. One word of warning - when charging meals and drinks to your room it is easy for someone to overhear your name and room number and take advantage later. Also, mistakes can be made - a $400 meal in the restaurant was charged to our account and it took 20 minutes to have the bill rectified. The explanation was that it was someone with the same name staying in another room and they got the numbers mixed up. For your trip home, hire a stretch limo at the front desk - about $160 to Kennedy and a great way to end your stay.

• Liked — Busy location and spectacular views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank oliver5125
Toronto
Reviewed 15 November 2007

My sister and I booked a four night stay at the Marriott Marquis Times Square at the last minute. Our decision to stay at this hotel was a list minute one. I had never stayed in the Times Square vicinity and was very concerned about noise. I shouldn't have worried. The Marriott Marquis is the best hotel I've stayed in while in NYC.

The hotel was a quiet, comfortable oasis. We could not believe how quiet the actual room was. We had a room with two double beds - it was spacious, exceptionally clean and quiet!! The beds...pure heaven! Lovely soft linens and pillows that I wanted to take home. I have never been so comfortable in a room in NYC.

The hotel itself is quite busy on the ground level and around the elevators, but we felt that the bell boys, desk staff...everyone was friendly and willing to assist us. We ordered room service breakfast several times (try the hot chocolate!) and sampled the breakfast buffet in the restaurant on the 8th floor - both were delicious and the convenience was ideal. Speaking of the restaurant on the 8th, we also had two very quick dinners before rushing off to Broadway and the food is excellent. It's a bit pricey but you can't beat the convenience -- and both meals were miles better than several that we had had out in the city!

We enjoyed the Encore Lounge's comfy couches and refreshing beverages - why line up for a loud annoying bar in Times Square when you can relax in peace at the hotel lounge? The gift shop and Broadway ticket booth were also a nice surprise and the next time, I plan to use that amazing gym!

And we LOVED the quiet glass elevators. You would think that we were kids from our glee at the fun ride down to ground level. LOVED IT!

The hotel couldn't be in a more central area for us. Although it's a bit pricier than I would normally pay, the quiet, clean experience was worth the extra cash. I have now found my NYC hotel and do plan on returning next year. It's wonderful when you don't have to worry about the hotel and can get on with enjoying your trip. A++ for this hotel!

• Liked — The quiet!
  • Disliked — If I have to pick something, the price.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank TorontoPopchick
Upper Marlboro
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Loved, loved, LOVED this hotel! It's quite pricey though...about $40 per night. Luckily I had Marriott points, so we stayed for free. Inside, the hotel is beautiful. The elevators had me amazed for a little while. The location is great, the service was impeccable; this is by far the best Marriott I have ever been to. The restaurants and lounges were a little pricey, but hey, that's NYC. The food and drinks were very good though. I don't even want to stay anywhere else when I go to NY!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 November 2007

This hotel is in a prime location in the middle of time square. The rooms are nice, and the staff friendly. It was very quiet and convenient. Very expensive, but understandable for the location.

• Stayed November 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 13 November 2007

Booked the Marriott Marquis through a convention travel site. I book groups of room for our company employees, from 3 to 16 rooms per function. The Marquis is in a perfect location, in my opinion: the heart of Times Square, walking distance to Central Park, tons of restaurants and theaters, close to the subway, and definitely smack dab in the middle of Manhattan excitement. The hop on/hop off shuttle bus tours stop a block from the hotel. I would definitely suggest all visitors do the bus tour at least once - you learn a lot about the city along with some of its history.

The hotel rooms were spacious enough for my husband and I, and our adult son (they joined me for 4 days of my 8 day business trip). The front desk employees ALL were impersonal, and not very friendly. The rest of the hotel employees I dealt with were nice: housekeeping, greeters, bellhop, fitness center, especially the AT YOUR SERVICE staff.

I'm a Marriott card member, but rec'd no upgrades or special treatment. When I asked for a corner room or one with a view, I was told it would cost another $50 to $70 per night. No thanks! Very comfortable beds, always. Nice large screen tv. Loved the elevator system. Great fitness center. I'd stay here again.

Fun place to eat: Ellen's Stardust Diner. Good food: Ruby Foo's. Shopping: the weekend flea market!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk attitudes
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business