“Better Than the Last Time”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The last time I stayed here 2 years ago I gave the Marquis a scathing review because of elevator horrors. I am pleased to report a much better stay this time.

Check-in staff was efficient and pretty friendly. The lobby on the 8th floor is large with multiple restaurants/lounges. They could use a good sports bar, though.

The room I had was large for NY and faced Times Square. It was pretty quiet. The bed was comfortable.

The concierge lounge is large with good offerings. It was much less crowded than the last time I was there.

The gym is cool with top and side glass. You can look into the gym from any floors above it a you walk around or take the elevators down. They have pretty good weight equipment and plenty of treadmills.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for New York Marriott Marquis

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I went in with high expectations, and they met and exceeded them! I got there after switching from another property and they were so incredibly accommodating. We got there early, and our room wasn't ready but they had someone right there waiting to hold our luggage, they asked what we had going on and were very professional. They were sure to give me a call when my room was ready, and it was worth the wait. We got to the room and were amazed, the view was incredible. The room was extremely spacious with a couch that we just moved in front of the window to just people watch.
As childish as this may sound, I had so much fun riding the elevator up and down from the 42nd floor.. feel free to judge me, but not until you try it yourself!
Anyways.. the location is great, its right in Times Square.. which depending on how you feel about large crowds could be bad (for me it kind of was).. but it was nice being so close to everywhere we wanted to go, and close to anything we needed. All of the staff we encountered was so great and helpful, including the doormen getting us a cab upon check out.
I wish i didn't have to leave there, but with all this comes a huge downfall... the price.
I highly recommend this property to anyone.

Room Tip: High floor with a Times Square view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kevin D
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is very nice and centrally located to all of the action of Times Square. The room (2 doubles) was very clean. Housekeeping was very gracious and allowed us late check out. I did not eat in any of the restaurants--the $35.00 per person for the breakfast buffet was a little over the top. There is a great coffee shop on the 8th floor, however.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your great comments! I will be sure to pass it on to our team. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Very nice hotel, rooftop bar/restaurant - "The View"a definite place to vsit, room spacious for New York, but they nick and dime you, 17 dollars for wifi, - it just gives off a bad vibe about the place. What else are they cheap about you wonder?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vimapo
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank your staying with us and for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have an option for complimentary wifi in the lobby and at Crossroads for our guest. I hope to see you back in the near future. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Hotel was a good choice for our quick weekend stay in NYC. The king room was large and updated, with a view of TS on the 23rd floor. The gym is on the same floor, which was very convenient - one of the better hotel gyms with wide range of equipment. We dined at The View on the 47th floor. Revolving room offering beautiful skyline views and exceptional food. Meal was fixed price @ $84, which included app, dinner and dessert. The lounge on the 48th floor had a good vibe with the revolving view. If staying here, don’t miss it. For a large hotel, it runs like clockwork. We never waited for an elevator – loved their system.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I love the marriott, as a platinum member I always get upgraded to a room with an amazing view. For such a large hotel everything runs very efficiently, and the concierge lounge is fantastic. The bed wasn't great, but the rooms are clean, decently sized for NY, and if your there for a touristy visit the location can't be beat.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

First time in new yor didnt expect much in this hotel. Overall its very nice . We had a room facing the times square , great view and spacious room. Breakfast staff were really friendly they took care of us, so well done guys. The last day we booked for late check out as we had a late night the nightbefore. We put the DO NOT DISTURB sign and house keeping keep on knocking at the door. I think this hotel needs to communicate more on checking out between reception and housekeeping. But all together its a great stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us! I apologize that we knocked on your door on your last day of your stay even though you had a do not disturb sign on the door. We will be sure to communicate this with our team. Thank you and look forward to having you back soon!