“Great tourist hotel for family, business, or both!”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I've stayed the The Marriott Marquis many times - mostly for business, because they've offered good deals for trade show attendees at he nearby Javits Convention Ctr. But, my most recent stay was a quick hit with the family for the weekend. We wanted to be near the action of Times Square, so the Marriott was a natural choice. I also happen to be a Marriott Rewards member, so we try to pick a Marriott whenever possible. The Marquis is undergoing a fair amount of construction near street level, but we were told n advance, and were expecting it. The valet & baggage crew could not have been nicer or efficient - everything went smoothly. At check-in, I was offered my choice of a high floor, or a room with a Times Square view - even though I had booked the least expensive room possible. We chose the view - and it was great, along with the rest of the room & bathroom - which are large for NYC. Their gift shop is also very good, and they have all kinds of stuff that travelers need. Overall, it was a great experience - and it should be even better when the construction is completed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BmoreBurke
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We can't wait to have you back. Have a wonderful day!

There are newer reviews for New York Marriott Marquis

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival, I knew I needed to go to the 8th floor for check-in, but I did not know how the elevators work. I hopped into an elevator that was opening and once inside, I saw that there were no buttons to select my floor, and realized I needed to select my floor before entering. So I hopped out of the elevator and started over. Once I figured this out, I really liked the elevator system. There are central keypads, and you enter your floor, and then it tells you which elevator to go to. You then go to your assigned elevator, and when it arrives it is preprogrammed to go to the floor you selected. This is why there are no buttons inside the elevator to choose a floor.

Elite members check-in was very smooth. Since a king room was not available, I was upgraded to a room with a Times Square view.

I was pleasantly surprised at how nice my room was. I know this is an older hotel, but everything inside was newer, not dated. The room was decorated very nicely. I am so used to NYC hotels having extremely small rooms, so I was thrilled at how spacious my room was. My room had two beds, a bench, a sofa, a desk, and lots of floor space in between.

I was at this hotel for a conference, and there was another conference happening as well. The conference facilities were good, everything was nicely contained for my group on the 5th floor.

I did go to the Crossroads restaurant off the 8th floor lobby once, for breakfast. I travel a lot for business, so I am used to hotel restaurants being very expensive, and this is no exception, especially since it is NYC. The breakfast buffet is $33, and I could not order it, because my company's cap on breakfast in New York is $25. To stay within my budget, I ordered French toast a la cart for $19. It did come with fruit, so that was nice. It was enough to fill me up. Service was prompt.

Some details regarding my room ...

The toilet had a super noisy flush. This would be an issue if you are sharing a room with others and someone goes to the restroom in the middle of the night or in the morning while others are still sleeping. It will certainly wake everyone up.

The water temperature in the shower did not work very well. I had to have the dial almost as hot as it would go before the water would be warm enough.

The room had lots of outlets, which is great for charging multiple electronic devices.

The flat-screen TV was a nice large size and worked well.

The desk chair kept sliding down, which was frustrating as I spent a lot of time in my room working at the desk.

While I normally would not choose to stay in Times Square because it is so crowded and touristy, I was very impressed with this hotel, how updated everything was, and how large my guest room was. And it is very centrally located if you need to go to other parts of the city.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I travelled to New York in the 3rd week of August (slightly late review!) in a family of 4.

The room is exceptionally large (especially for NY standards) and well appointed - plenty of space for 4 adults' suitcase and all our shopping. We were slightly apprehensive that the room would be too crowded for 4 people but were pleasantly surprised! We never felt squished or in each others pockets - not that we were in the room for that much time anyway! We booked very far in advance and tried to specify a room high up and with a times sq view (otherwise you have to pay an extra $100/night extra) and were luckily granted our wishes - the view was absolutely amazing.

The concierge/FOH staff were very friendly apart from one or two rude encounters with some of the waitresses in the bars, however once they understood we were hotel guests they were far more polite, but that didn't affect our experience either way.

As a first time visit to NYC, with regards to location you couldn't ask for any better! Right in the middle of times square, taxis easy to hail, the subway a 2 min walk about and local supermarkets for little bits and bobs very easily reachable. However if I were to return to NYC (with people who have also been before) I would probably stay somewhere else like the Meatpacking District or SoHo because it is just too busy/touristy at times. However that was only a minor annoyance to what is otherwise a superb hotel. Local diners, coffeeshops, chain and independent restaurants and just a stones throw away. (there are even 2 starbucks in the hotel itself!).

Also I have no idea why people bemoan the elevators so much, they're fast, efficient and the most we ever had to wait was about 2 minutes!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed at this Marriott for work last week and have mixed feelings about this property. I am a loyal Marriott customer and Platinum Elite guest. The front desk staff was very rude and unprofessional.
The elevator system takes a little getting use to and at busy times you may have to wait quite a while for a elevator to take you to your floor.

Once I got past these barrier I had a nice room with a good view of Times square. The Concierge staff in the club lounge is very nice and sincere.

I will stay at this hotel again and with a little retraining the front desk would make this a 5 star property .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank xnavyron
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I arrived here two days late because of bad weather and a business/fun trip turned in to just business. The young lady at the front desk was so friendly and welcoming that I almost forgot I had missed out on all the fun I had planned. I had access to the conceirge lounge which was very nice for breakfast and had everything you could want. The room was spacious AND I got a room with a view of the "Ball" at Times Square. It was an awesome view. The elevators here can be slow at peak times. A fact of life in any large hotel. Great Times Square location and yet the rooms are quiet. Very friendly and helpful doormen. I will be back. This place is always consistent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Times Square!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Marriott Marquis! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We went to NYC this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary, and another couple's, as we were married on the same date. Really enjoyed this hotel. One unique experience was the elevator. There are 14 elevators in a semi-circle and outside on the walls are calculator-look plates, where you enter the floor that you want to go to, and then it tells you what elevator to take, which are lettered A thru M. Then you get on the elevator and it takes you to the floor you entered. They are very fast, and we were on the 41st floor. We had a great view of Times Square. The hotel was very clean and employees were very polite and friendly. We ate at the rooftop revolving restaurant on the top floor for our anniversary dinner. Very expensive and not worth the price, but a great view. They also have a nice fitness center. Check-in and out was very easy. There seemed to be a problem with the heat in the room. It never seemed to get warm enough, unless you really turned it up. Our friends had the same problem in their room. They called maintenance, but nothing could be done. The window sill, though, was a great place to keep creamers for coffee, as it was like a frig. It was the perfect location to the theaters, and easy to walk to them. The only problem was the weather. It was so cold and windy, but what else is new for this winter in the Northeast. Would definitely stay here again. Loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the view of Times Square
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The last time I stayed here 2 years ago I gave the Marquis a scathing review because of elevator horrors. I am pleased to report a much better stay this time.

Check-in staff was efficient and pretty friendly. The lobby on the 8th floor is large with multiple restaurants/lounges. They could use a good sports bar, though.

The room I had was large for NY and faced Times Square. It was pretty quiet. The bed was comfortable.

The concierge lounge is large with good offerings. It was much less crowded than the last time I was there.

The gym is cool with top and side glass. You can look into the gym from any floors above it a you walk around or take the elevators down. They have pretty good weight equipment and plenty of treadmills.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business