“In the heart of Times Square”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #192 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clifton, New Jersey
“In the heart of Times Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Large hotel in the heart of Times Square. You are right on Broadway so short walk to all the theaters. 5 minute walk to Rockefeller Center, 15 minutes to the Empire Sate building. Right across from the Subway station for trips downtown to World Trade Center Museum.
Food is very expensive and nothing special so I suggest you eat outside the hotel. The lobby always seems to be crowded and the elevator system takes a minute to understand but logical once mastered.

Room Tip: Try to get a Broadway facing room. It is fun to lookout the window anytime day or night and watch t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,301)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Catania, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 days at the Marquis for a meeting. It was my third time and I confirmed my idea about this place. It is the perfect place for people visiting New York since it is located at Times Square and you can visit Manhattan simply by walking. The hotel is under restoration of the facade and the main entrance on the square is currently closed. The place is amazing with a series of external elevators going up and down that you can see from each floor. The organization of the hotel is very good, even though I had not particular problems to manage. The Crossroads restaurant serves a good breakfast, even though espresso coffee and cappuccino are considered extra (very important for an Italian!). Unfortunately, while the wifi connection is free in the lobby area, you have to pay an extra if you want to use it in the room (they could provide it for free, according to the level of the hotel). The view from the rooms is extraordinary since you can see the show of Times Square from your window and the Empire State Building at the same time. Finally, there is a very good gym with modern equipment with a direct view on Times Square while doing fitness.
Since it is the only hotel I visited in New York I am not sure regarding the quality/price ratio but if you think the price is in the average, that is the right place to go.

• Stayed March 2014
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. I hope you visit us again in the near future. Have a great day!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely stay and great location! The View - revolving bar at the top of the hotel is a brilliant experience. One thing I would suggest is always insist on taking a yellow official taxi when leaving for the airport! My latest experience of a bell boy "making a call for a SUV" for myself and another party to share was a con! When we got to the airport other demands were made. Unlucky for the driver me and my husband don't suffer fools lightly and gave as good as we got! Just be careful and insist on a yellow cab with a flat $52 fare!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katiewoochin
Guayaquil, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed with my wife and our 10 years old son at the NYC Marriott Marquis from October 31st, 2013 for 6 nights. This was a very special trip for me since I was running NYC's marathon, and was my 1st. Marathon in fact. All the staff on the hotel was outstanding, the rooms spotless clean, the beds well appointed. Even the bed for my son, was not a roll away but a small sofa bed.

At the concierge desk we asked for pointers on local restaurants, all tips where good and we got reservations done when needed. On the Concierge Club Lounge, the staff was very gentle even when the place was crowded for breakfast. Special mention to a Dominican Gentleman whose name is Mario, he went everyday the extra mile getting me soy milk during breakfast. On Marathon day, the hotel had early breakfast for runners, and the previous night they had a pasta buffet on their main restaurants. My wife and my kid also needed a late checkout, since I was traveling out to Orlando on business, and the hotel took care of it, no problem.

All in all this property to me is a classic in NYC and a GREAT all around hotel.

Room Tip: If you enjoy views of Broadway at night, ask for a room on the west wing (Floor 31 for example). The...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am so happy that we were able to make it such a great experience. We look forward to having you back soon.
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I had a large group that booked 6 rooms at this hotel for January 2014. It was the first time for most of us in NYC together. I brought my daughter with me as well. The hotel was nice except for the concierge lounge where some of the staff was AMAZING, but, this one guy, not so much! Made my daughter ad nanny feel unwelcomed and that kids under 18 should not be allowed. I spoke to a manager who made a nice gesture to give us a $50 credit to The View, but, then I had to pay for my dessert there only to go back o the desk to get the credit. Not very helpful. The next day the guy was still mean to my family. Being Platinum Elite members of Marriott I was very sad. Sometimes, it is the little things that the Marriott brand does to make us feel comfortable. I wish those things were taught at this hotel for some staff. Now the remainder of the concierge staff was very nice and helpful. The front desk staff was also nice and helpful, but, make it easier not harder. So really staying here was a choice that my team made merely for location, but, next time I would think again as my family was not happy.

Room Tip: High level floor wit a great view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for your review and for being a platinum member. Our team attempts to stay consistent with the member plus one guest policy for the concierge lounge. I can understand how this can effect your stay with us if you had multiple guest accompanying you. Our goal is to make the concierge lounge a wonderful experience for our elite members. I apologize if your experience was anything less than a excellent. I will be sure to address this with my team as well as pass on your great comments to our team. If you would like to further discuss this, please feel free to reach out to me at 212-398-1900. Thank you and have a great day!
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel was perfectly placed on Broadway in Times Square. Our room was on the 22nd floor on 45th street and you couldn't hear any of the New York life outside whichever as perfect.

The hotel was really clean and the rooms spacious and very comfortable. The ticket desk in the hotel was a great facility, as they got us tickets to go at see NY Rangers play at Madison Square Gardens, for a sell out game on the day of the game.

We went for room only at the hotel, rather than b&b as breakfast was quite costly and you're not restricted on what you want to do that way. There are so many great places to eat, that I recommend you go room only and then get up and out early, have breakfast at a diner and then explore the city.

The View lounge though is an absolute must........ We only had cocktails there one night, but it was worth it for the views alone, I just wish that we had made more of the lounge and visited at dusk - maybe next time!

Yes the hotel is huge, yes it is in a very hustle, bustle part of the city, but it's in a great location and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to friends or family, or going back again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and your wonderful comments. Have a great day and see you back soon!
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I had a larger group that booked 3 rooms at this hotel for Spring Break 2013. It was the first time for most of us in NYC. We had 4 to a room. Our group was half adults half teens.
-PROS: Great location, close to subway, easy to get taxi, walking distance to shows and safe at night since lots traffic, room spacious (and that's saying a lot since I'm from Texas),clean, loved the bar that overlooks Times Square, right by the TKTS booth, just to save time we frequented the Juniors resteraunt directly accross the street. It has a dine in option or a walk-in pick up type store which was great for breakfast. (LOVE the black/white cookies)
-CONS: Just think I wouldn't stay in Times Square next time. I'd love to get a more neighborhood feel, BUT its hard to beat the easy location if you are going to shows at night; the staff at the bar/resteraunt were so completely rude. They made sure to pre-charge tip on receipt since we had big group, even though we were at different tables. We really should've escalated this issue because we were treated so poorly, but I think we were all just tired.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends