“Good Location at Time Square”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Large spacious clean rooms. Quiet. Staff easy to work with. Check in not real welcoming. Good location near Time Square. Take away food location not a friendly group. Hotel great just staff issues of unfriendliness

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (11,369)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Times Square location was excellent. Our first stay at this hotel and we hope to return. We had an awesome view from the room, located high in the building. Wish the hotel had free WIFI and whilst I love coffee a kettle would be an excellent addition as has been mentioned by others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel while attending a conference there. There is construction going on outside so be warned that moving in and out can be a challenge. However once inside checkin was efficient.
I didn't get the king room I requested, perhaps I was being penalized for not booking directly from Marriott, but after a long flight, I was too tired to complain. That being said, the room was fine, you were paying for the location. The Starbucks was closed for remodel on the first floor, but they have one upstairs in the gift/mini-mart. There is a restaurant on the top floor, but didn't try it, after all it's New York, too many restaurant choices!
Finally be aware of the elevator system. You enter the floor you are staying on a keypad and will be assigned a car. This is important because there are no buttons to push for the elevator once you're inside.
Overall, not a bad stay, once the construction is over, but it's New York! My only real issue was the bedding. If I would have complained that would have been an indicator for me to have reported back. Also as a rewards member I need to check if I received credit for my stay. I've stayed there before, I with do a little more research when I return this summer. It will not be automatic.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great location, nice room. Standard Marriott amenities. It is however, a very busy hotel which may be off-putting for some travellers. Has quite a 'business' hotel feel to it. If you lie big, bustling, busy, business hotels - this is your choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ibadanboy
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Having stayed in many Marriott Hotels in the UK the standards of this modern glitzy tower block of a hotel were a real let down.

The location in Times Square is great and the views from parts of the building can be staggering but in our room on the 17th floor we had disposable paper cups and a very limited supply of tea/coffee. Tea had to be made by boiling water in a coffee maker and I have never stayed at a 4 or 5 star hotel that provides paper cups in the bedroom. Their was no glass for drinking water after cleaning teeth, no slippers, no dressing gown and considering that a significant number of visitors are from the UK no British TV channel on offer.

many hotels now offer free wifi in the bedrooms but the Marquis charges an awful lot except in the public area on the eight floor but this was not advertised anywhere that I read.

It's almost like no thought has been given to what guests really want.

I can't say that I would be encouraged to stay in this particular hotel again as value for money is very important and I felt let down this week.

Room Tip: Ask for separate beds. You might get better resources in the bedroom.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your experience overall. I will share your information with the rest of my team and we will review our standards and look for ways to improve our in-room amenities. I hope we have a chance to host you again next time your travels bring you to New York City.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very nice Marriott style room. Great service, very centrally located. Good beds, clean rooms. Get a room high up as they do the Good Morning America show filming across the street on weekdays. Amazing how loud they are. Good food and good concierge lounge for those who are members. Staff throughout the hotel is very helpful and prompt. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Francofile1
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Huge hotel right in Times Square. I have stayed here 5 different times and found it perfect every time. The elevators can take awhile to show up but they have a great view once they pick you up.
You will pay a premium to stay here but worth it.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple