“Stay on Times Square in NYC in Style!”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel - located on Broadway in Times Square - and we were blessed with a 5 star stay!

When the what is important is "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION" - this hotel gives it. In the heart of Times Square, you have many restaurant selections, great stores and of course ... the Broadway shows.

The hotel has upscale dining and their rooms are fabulous! And if you like to work out - you can work out with a nice view of Times Square!

This great Marriott hotel should be your destination when you visit Manhattan!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (11,369)

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights. It's on a great location close to the shops, theatres and subway. Despite the busy location, the bedroom was very quiet at night and we were not disturbed at all by noise either from the street or within the hotel itself. The bed was extremely comfortable, as were the pillows. A lot of people have commented on the lifts, but once you get the hang of them it's a really efficient system. I don't know if it's a typical USA thing but I was surprised that there wasn't a bar fridge in the room. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have stayed at the Marriott Marquis at least 125 nights over the past 25 years. It is in the "center of chaos" (Times Square) but still manages to be a great hotel. It is also in the heart of the theater district and it is close to many performances so that a cab trip is not necessary.
The hotel is expensive ($300 and up per night) but it is tough to criticize it for this reason since every hotel in this area is expensive. The hotel lobby has the best organized elevator system I have ever seen. Kiosks where you punch in the floor you want to go indicate which elevator to line up in front of. The bar on the 8th floor is open spaced, large and well run with a very friendly staff! Nice place to sit down and relax before fighting the crowds for dinner around Times Square.

By the way, this theater district is the best in the world. While here see Phantom of the Opera if you have not seen it before. It is the best in town and by a large margin the most popular musical in NYC history.For more recent hits, see Kinky Boots and Rocky Broadway. Both are very enjoyable. Skip the Tony winning Gentleman's Guide. It is a real bore and the music is totally forgettable. A real disappointment to us!

So stay at the Marriott Marquis if you are a theater goer. Watch out for pickpockets on Times Square and be prepared to pay a lot of money for just about every occasion!

The Marquis has changed for the better over the last 25 years. The service is better now and friendlier. The rooms are also cleaner! The elevator used to be a nightmare and now it is a marvel technology.

Room Tip: Try staying in a feather free room on the 2nd floor. The rooms are much cleaner in these rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We spoke with David Sanchez beforehand as we requested a lovely room with great views for our special 20th wedding anniversary. To be very fair to him he was true to his word and gave us a room on the 44th floor overlooking Times Square. This also meant we were completely away from any noise from down below.
He did promise a bottle of wine on our anniversary but I think he must have forgotten about this. That aside the hotel is extremely well positioned both for Times Square and for setting off on any journey around Manhattan. There was a lot of work going on at ground level at the hotel which made entry and exit to to the hotel a bit of a scrum but this wasn't too much of a problem to be honest. Whenever we required anything all the staff were most helpful and I would certainly recommend people to stay here.

Room Tip: have a high room overlooking times square so you get a really good view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic time and our views were amazing ! Be sure to hit up "the view" restaurant and lounge, a revolving 48th floor masterpiece ! We loved it ! The hotel lobby is beautiful and the elevators are so cool, really one of the best marriotts I have stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am a Marriott Gold Reward member and I stay at this hotel ALL the time, but this last stay was a truly disappointing experience. The first day I arrived I noticed trash on the floors, beer bottles scattered about and the hotel front desk had extremely poor customer service. Will get to the customer service foolishness in a moment...

My wife and I stayed recently June 23rd and checked out June 25th and on our first night stay we were awaken by construction workers working on the building at 2 o'clock in the morning!

The drilling and banging was so loud we could barely sleep. My wife ended up calling the front desk, who offered to move us to a new room and or bring us some earplugs to help with the noise, but my wife turned them down.

Moving to another room at 2 o'clock in the morning wasn't an option for us, especially because earlier that day we had drove from Boston and was tired. And who pays nearly $300 per night for a hotel only to be offered earplugs to help them sleep!! My things is, Marriott Marquis New York knew about the construction so why put your guess through this? Us being GOLD reward members we should have never been placed in an area of the hotel where construction was being worked on! This happened BOTH nights that we stayed.

My husband called the front desk the next morning to let them know what we were leaving and that it was okay for them to clean the room, but the phone ranged and ranged before someone decided to pick up the phone. Why did it take them so long to answer the front desk phone...perhaps they had earplugs in their ears!?!?

Another instance my husband called the front desk customer service to ask a question about the concierge level and again the phone rang a million times before someone picked up (huh??).

Finally on check out day, we checked out via PHONE and again, the customer service front desk took their sweet time answering the phone!!! They didn't ask us how our stay was or thank us for choosing MM for our stay.

SO, that's it for us!!! We will not be staying with them anymore!! They took our money and placed us in a room full of noise, the front desk service was bad, and the décor (trash) scattered about was a turn off.

The 1 star is for housekeeping. They greeted us every morning with a warm hello and a smile and they cleaned our room very well.

PS. Please check our track record, we stay at Marriotts around the world and we know the best of the best and this is not the best.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the construction sight!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FromDCA
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. I am sorry that your stay was not 100%satisfactory. We will share your feedback with our team to improve our service. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was my first stay at the NY Marriott Marquis, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was there for business, but I really appreciated that the hotel offered so many options for down time as well. The hotel staff was fantastic. The gym was very well appointed. And you can't beat the location right on Times Square.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business