“Best thing about this hotel is the view”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #178 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have stayed in New York many times but decided to try a hotel with a view of Times Square and thought you can't go wrong with a Marriott right? Wrong. The view was great looking right down into the square but you have to request it ahead and pay for it dearly. Rooms were only average though, smelled musty and in need of an upgrade. Only about 1/4 of the elevators seemed to be running so every trip was a wait and then they were crammed to the max with people. The view from the revolving restaurant is great but the food below average.

Room Tip: If you choose this hotel make sure you reserve a room with a direct view on Times Square. That will...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do get a high volume of guests that use our elevators during peak times. Our elevators run on an innovative system that efficiently moves a large number of people through 45 floors in glass elevators. While I assure you all 16 elevators are running at any time, not all stop at each floor. We want to remain the go to hotel in the heart of the Times Square neighborhood and appreciate your feedback! Thank you again and have a great day!

Write a ReviewReviews (11,562)

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

3rd time in 10 year's that we have stopped at the Marriott Time Square fantastic location and ideal for some nice bars restaurants 20 min walk to the ports for the boat trips and obviously the theaters on Broadway so paying a little extra for the hotel saves a lot of money on taxi fares not to mention the time you're not going anywhere quick in New York traffic.The hotel is very clean with very helpful and courteous staff choice of food on the in room service is great can't wait to go again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

If you are a Broadway Show lover, there is no better place to stay in New York City! This beautiful hotel is within walking distance to all Broadway Theaters. The lobby and restaurants are not on street level which is great because you really feel that you have escaped the hustle and bustle of the busy streets. The rooms are always fresh and clean. The food at all of the restaurants is great. You are also within walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and 5th Avenue shopping. I have stayed here many times and plan to again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall I had a good stay here. My only negative comment is the late night construction. One night there was a jack hammer session going on until at least 3am. The next day I went to talk to the manager. Ms Kizuwanda was pleasant, and totally understanding. She apologized for my lack of sleep and moved me from the 20th floor (no view) to the 41st floor a nice room with a view, she sent someone to move my belongings to my new room, and to top it off, she sent me a bottle of champagne (to help me catch up on the sleep that I missed) wink, wink! After that? Everything thing else was what I expect from a Marriott. The beds were comfy, plenty of space. The bathroom was pretty large as well. Room service was good. They give large portions, so be careful not to over order. The salads are HUGE!! The pizza wasn't good at all. The bar and lounge area is cool. Drinks are good. They do close at midnight but it was during the week. Insider Tip? If they are still doing construction, you must have a room above the 30th floor and be sure you are not on the side where they are doing construction.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank klewis0906
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just stayed here for three nights to celebrate my niece's Sweet Sixteenth Birthday. We had a corner room that was so spacious it was hard to believe we were in the city! We were on the 16th floor and had a great view of Times Square. The bed and pull out couch were both comfortable and the shower was great.
The construction was a bit annoying but it was everywhere in the city and I think it's supposed to be done by the fall. The thing that really put the Marriott Marquis at a five star level for me was their customer service. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Our first night there, Paul from car service who met us when we arrived sent up a table full of drinks, ice, a fruit bowl, a small chocolate cake and a box of premium truffles for my niece. Anything we asked for from housekeeping was delivered immediately and the concierge made several very good suggestions during our stay.
Overall a great place to stay if you want to be in the heart of Times Square!

Room Tip: The higher up you are, the less construction you'll hear. Corner suite was very roomy!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mishel635
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I love this location. There is a sentimental part of me knowing that a friend built this hotel. But that is not why I come back.

Can you find a better value for your hotel stay in New York? Absolutely. Stay further north near Central Park. Overpriced food? Yes. But if you want the quintessential experience of seeing New York when it isn't busy (late Christmas Eve to Christmas morning) then this is the place to see Times Square in the comfort of your room.

If I were going to stay for New Year's Eve but didn't want to be in the crowd, this is the place I would stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Times Square.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank WildmanWong
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Pretty sad that the streets and exterior of the hotel was under construction. You couldn't see the hotel. The location is perfect because it is in Times Square. Scaffolding everywhere around the building was such a drag.
However the room was excellent and the staff was very friendly. The room was very clean and spacious. It is a very nice comfortable room. We ate in the café on the property and it was wonderful. Broadway is right there and cabs are everywhere and the enclosed entrance makes it nice to get a cab right away.
Had it not been for the construction - that I thought ruined the ambiance of Time Square and the hotel - I would have rated it higher.

Room Tip: I believe we were on the 29th floor and you could hear street noise. However, you are in New York C...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bertibby
Ashley R, Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us at the New York Marriott Marquis. We appreciate your patience with us while the front of our hotel undergoes a renovation. We are looking forward to a new, modern Marriott Marquis to debut to our guests soon! Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to hosting you again soon!