“Ideal Location”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #172 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary in New York, and for the second time we stayed at the Marriott Marquis hotel. We arrived by train, and since it wasn't too hot, we decided to take the very manageable walk from Penn Station to the hotel, which is right in the heart of Times Square. When I made the reservations, I told them about our anniversary celebration and asked if there was a chance of an upgrade. The reservation person said she thought that would be possible because the hotel wasn't going to be that full, but when we got there it seemed as if that wasn't the case. The clerk at the desk said she couldn't upgrade us to a Times Square view room, but she did do a good job of giving us a room with a pretty good view. The best part about this hotel is the location. We attended three plays while we were there, and two of them were literally just yards from our hotel door. During the entire time, our interactions with the staff were very friendly and professional. During our stay, there was an enormous amount of construction work being done just outside the hotel, and we dealt with the sound of jack hammers through the evening, so that was a very undesirable aspect of our stay, but that work should be completed fairly soon, I suspect. For our next trip to New York, we may decide to stay in a different hotel in a different part of the city for a diverse experience, but I would recommend the Marriott Marquis to anyone who is considering a Broadway experience to remember.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachluvr54

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have stayed in some swanky, expensive hotels before, but this one was the winner - so far anyway. NEW YEAR'S EVE - 2008 - The best New Year's ever!!! If you are planning an extra special New Year's trip it is a MUST, MUST, MUST to stay at the Marriott Marquis right on Times Square. IMO, there is no other way to see the ball drop and is the ultimate, elegant way to welcome in the New Year. Our room was front facing TS about mid way up and although we couldn't see the ball, we overlooked the square. Staying here made it so, so, easy to pop on down to claim a space early and not worry or stress out if we just couldn't make it the whole night. We did of course (some extra planning makes that possible), but we felt it was insurance that we'd still be there for the ball drop even if we had to leave the coral and come back down just before midnight. The hotel is amazingly beautiful, and has every amenity you would need or want.

My suggestion would be to look on line around October for specials. Many people told me that you needed to reserve years in advance. Not so! I booked our room in October of the same year by going on their website and looking for packages. I then called the hotel, spoke to the department that handles NYE especially and she said we would save a ton of money if we booked the NYE dinner special which came with a room and just not go to the dinner. We did and I will tell you we met people in the lobby that paid 3 times what we paid for a room by only reserving the room. It pays to be savvy! I loved it and soooooo would do it again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Check their own website and look for the dinner special packages they offer for NYE...I think you wi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MH1955
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

New Year's Eve is definitely a special time to stay with us and we appreciate you providing such a great review of your experience! I'm glad everything was wonderful, including planning your reservation with our team. I will be sure they are commended for this. We hope you'll have a chance to come back again, even if it's during another time of the year!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great location in the center of Times Square. Really enjoyed the location and many things to do. The hotel is average, but the views and location are great.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I visited this hotel last year and loved the location. It's literally in the center of times square within walking distance of almost everything. The busses stop right outside this location for easy touring of any attractions not within walking distance. From our room we could see everything in Times Square-(Paid the extra room view fee).
The rooms were kind of average, but if your just visiting and want to be in the middle of the action, this is the place to be.
They also have theaters and a nice revolving restaurant at this location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jameswvlcox
Reviewed 20 July 2014

First visit to NYC to celebrate my sister's birthday. If you want to be right in Times Square, this is the location for you. Rooms were large, clean and comfortable. Lots of restaurants and shopping at your doorstep. A lot of attractions are walkable from this location with the exception of the 9/11 memorial where we took a taxi. A big shout out to Michelle who checked us in and offered great customer service. She assigned us a room with a beautiful view of the Hudson River. I am a Gold Elite Marriott member and they treat their loyal members with exceptional service. I also want the management to please recognize Thomas A for the best customer service I have ever received at a Marriott hotel. Would recommend to all and will definitely stay here again. Thank you for making our birthday weekend a memorable one.

Room Tip: If you want less noise, ask for a River View and a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying and providing such a great review of your experience! I will be sure both of these associates are recognized for their hard work and ensuring your stay was wonderful. We can't wait to have you back again!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

On our 2nd visit to New York City, we knew that we wanted a hotel close to Times Square so we could quickly get back to our room as needed.

The Marriott Marquis is a perfect location, central to the theaters and restaurants.
The rooms are large, and easily accommodate our family of five, something few hotels offer in the City. The room furnishings are in great shape, and well cared for. From our room we have a view to the west, overlooking the Hells Kitchen neighborhood and the river. Very nice!

My only complaint was the lengthy waits at the elevators. I overhead an employee say there were 5000 guests at the hotel today, so the wait is understandable.

If visiting Times Square in the summer of 2014, it seems overly congested because of construction and paving, making the experience a bit chaotic. Nonetheless, Times Square is still great!

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long distance from the elevator, an we were lucky to have gotten a room close to th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and sharing your great experience. Our rooms definitely are large enough to accommodate families and I'm glad you enjoyed our river view. We do get very busy in the summer and I'm sorry you experienced this with our elevators but I hope it won't deter you from staying in the future. We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great location but terrible customer service. Rude reception, confusing to navigate and unhelpful. Sat by my sick daughter on the floor because seating was limited, was told by hotel staff that i couldnt sit, it didnt look good and that they "have an image too keep up". I just gave them 2 grand and they wont let me and my sick daughter sit against the wall in the lobby area? Pretty rude.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback. Your satisfaction is our top priority and I'm sorry that your time with us did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared among our associates so we can focus on retraining where necessary in order to enhance our guests' experience. I hope you will give us a chance in the future to host you again and provide you with a great stay!