“Beautiful views, Less than desirable service, High Prices”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #186 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Haven, Connecticut
“Beautiful views, Less than desirable service, High Prices”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have stayed at the Marriott Marquis several times, but our most recent experience demands a more personal and objective overview. I am usually pretty generous in my reviews, because I know there will usually come a time when x,y, or z could have been just a little bit better for a traveler - maybe an encounter with a staff member who was having a bad day, whatever. I try to give some margin for being human.

That being said, this is a beautiful hotel and I have yet to stay in a room without having a spectacular view of Time Square and Broadway. This is in the heart of what people know as NYC.

On our most recent trip to the Marriott, I had some very special amenities built into my reservations, all of which were made through the Marriott Reservation Center. Now mind you, instead of taking the train in from CT, I drove into the City with my 7-month pregnant wife, in case I needed my car quickly.

I presented all of my paperwork, reservation confirmation, so on-and so forth to the Front Desk Staff only to be told that I did not qualify for what has already been reserved and promised to me, and all of which I had proof of on paper from the confirmations from Marriott themselves. They would not budge on this. I asked for a Manager - who was equally unprofessional as the rest of the staff I dealt with.

So, even with my pregnant wife, being a bit tired from the car ride and looking forward to relaxing in a room, sitting a few yards away, they refused to honor any of their own promises / my original reservations. I had three options....pay hundreds of dollars more to stay there that I originally anticipated, or test my luck trying to find another hotel on short notice, or lose money flat outright for not canceling within their specified period beforehand. So even if I went to another hotel, I would have been paying for a room that I didn't stay in at the Marriott.

For my wife's sake, I bit the bullet and paid the extra - for as I said, they would grant me no courtesy or even meet me half way on the accommodations.

I used to love going here....and their prices with or without this experience are always up there, as they are in the heart of Times Square. So, that is to be a little bit expected.... The views are wonderful, the rooms are clean and comfortable. But that was certainly the last time I will give them a penny of my business.

**Since being on Trip Advisor, this is by far the worst review of a location I have submitted, and it is a landmark destination for many. So I hope for the sake of others that this was something only I did or will ever experience. But - I would advise you to find yourself a better hotel....there are more than plenty in the area.

Room Tip: it might be just dumb luck, but I have never had a room without a great view of Times Square and Bro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank briashmad
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate the feedback that you have given us. In order to honor specific rates, we do require proper identification upon check in. I understand that after a long trip, the last thing you want to worry about is having the proper ID. The reservation details that get emailed to each guest explain that proper identification is required. Again, we thank for your feedback and thank you for staying with us. Have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,341)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked two Times Square View rooms at the Marquis on 20 and 21 July. We were assigned high rooms (35th and 40 floors). The view was spectacular and the hotel's location is great. The rooms were quiet, very clean and the furniture all in excellent condition. The staff were very friendly. We found that waits for elevators were short. We used Marriott's mobile app check-in system, which worked flawlessly. The rooms were ready and we were handed our keys upon our early (1 PM) arrival. The only issue (thus 4 versus 5 stars) was valet parking. The garage is being renovated (the hotels' website warns of delays - provide 40 minute notice for retrieving the car); however, apparently they had some mix-up with the ticket on our car, and it took an hour to sort it out. Otherwise a great stay. We will return.

Room Tip: Expensive, but if you can afford it, book the Times Square View room for spectacular views.
1 Thank Ted047
HondaCivicWil
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just returned from a three night stay at the New York Marriott Marquis. This beautiful hotel is in the heart of Times Square and the perfect location for anyone in town to enjoy Broadway. Our spacious room was on the 43rd floor and offered a wonderful view of Times Square. Beds were extremely comfortable and the large bathroom a nice surprise. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The only blemish on an otherwise perfect stay was the occasional long wait for the elevators. Overall, the Marquis is a wonderful property and I'd gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors offer a little more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HondaCivicWil
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
We're glad you chose our hotel and appreciate you providing such a great review of your stay! Our rooms certainly are spacious and it's great to hear you enjoyed the view of Times Square. I'm sorry you had some issues with the elevators at times, but I hope despite this we can count on your return in the near future.
Margate, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Second time we have stayed at this hotel. It is going through some façade and interior renovations. These are not intrusive. Great location for Broadway shows and right in the middle of Time Square. Short walks to sooo many activities. Great views from our room. Close to many restaurants and of course shopping for the girls.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We're happy you came back to stay with us again. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the great things that the Times Square area has to offer and could also take it all in from the great view in your room. We can't wait to welcome back again soon!
ma
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The rooms were large and comfortable, we asked for a refrigerator and it was brought right up. We got a corner Times Square room on the 38th floor and didn't notice any construction noise. It was in a great location in Times Square. We ate at Carmines down the street and it was a great family restaurant. (The food was great - yum) We walked to Rockerfeller Plaza and then continued to 5th Avenue and Central Park. The only thing we question is the 2 person rule in the concierge lounge. It was my husband, myself and my son and the lounge wasn't even 25% full for bfast and they wouldn't let the three of us in because of the 2 person rule (a rule is a rule he said). I think they should allow 3 or 4 people in if the room is empty. They felt bad and said that we could bring the food to our room but it's hard for three people to sit in our room at the desk with one chair and enjoy bfast. We enjoyed 9/11 memorial and museum, Little Italy, the NY media boat tour and central park while here and had a great time! We would stay here again because we are Marriott Elite, the room was big and it was in a great location.

1 Thank MAamyp
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the perfect hotel to stay in to get everywhere! We walked to plays and subway entrances. When we needed a taxi, they were always right there. Our room was nice and the housekeeping staff were wonderful. They kept the room clean and always were glad to help with any request.
We ate in the bar area and had a great food.
I absolutely would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
San Bruno, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I was recommended this hotel by a family member and thank goodness we were. The establishment is practically in the center of Times Square, and one side (the side we happened to face) is directly across the street from Broadway. Needless to say we didn't have to walk very far for food or entertainment.

We stayed on the highest floor of the hotel and the view was incredible. The room itself was clean, modern and roomy for my partner and two children. And the gym is incredible (who wouldn't want to work out in front of a panoramic window view of Times Square?!)

We will be returning on out next trip out to New York.

Stayed February 2014