We have stayed at the Marriott Marquis several times, but our most recent experience demands a more personal and objective overview. I am usually pretty generous in my reviews, because I know there will usually come a time when x,y, or z could have been just a little bit better for a traveler - maybe an encounter with a staff member who was having a bad day, whatever. I try to give some margin for being human.
That being said, this is a beautiful hotel and I have yet to stay in a room without having a spectacular view of Time Square and Broadway. This is in the heart of what people know as NYC.
On our most recent trip to the Marriott, I had some very special amenities built into my reservations, all of which were made through the Marriott Reservation Center. Now mind you, instead of taking the train in from CT, I drove into the City with my 7-month pregnant wife, in case I needed my car quickly.
I presented all of my paperwork, reservation confirmation, so on-and so forth to the Front Desk Staff only to be told that I did not qualify for what has already been reserved and promised to me, and all of which I had proof of on paper from the confirmations from Marriott themselves. They would not budge on this. I asked for a Manager - who was equally unprofessional as the rest of the staff I dealt with.
So, even with my pregnant wife, being a bit tired from the car ride and looking forward to relaxing in a room, sitting a few yards away, they refused to honor any of their own promises / my original reservations. I had three options....pay hundreds of dollars more to stay there that I originally anticipated, or test my luck trying to find another hotel on short notice, or lose money flat outright for not canceling within their specified period beforehand. So even if I went to another hotel, I would have been paying for a room that I didn't stay in at the Marriott.
For my wife's sake, I bit the bullet and paid the extra - for as I said, they would grant me no courtesy or even meet me half way on the accommodations.
I used to love going here....and their prices with or without this experience are always up there, as they are in the heart of Times Square. So, that is to be a little bit expected.... The views are wonderful, the rooms are clean and comfortable. But that was certainly the last time I will give them a penny of my business.
**Since being on Trip Advisor, this is by far the worst review of a location I have submitted, and it is a landmark destination for many. So I hope for the sake of others that this was something only I did or will ever experience. But - I would advise you to find yourself a better hotel....there are more than plenty in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfect for business & leisure travel, this world-class NYC hotel is located in the Times Square theater district of Manhattan and features newly renovated hotel rooms, event venues and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your New York Marriott Marquis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New York Marriott Marquis Hotel New York City
- Marriott New York City
- Marriott Marquis New York
- Marriott Hotel New York
- New York City Marriott
- Marriott Times Square
- Marriott Marquis Times Square
- Marriot Marquis