“New Years Eve is a Must Do”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My Wife had always hoped when the kids were old enough we would stay in Times Square on New Years Eve . We .. They Are and We Did. This is The Place to stay. Right in the Middle of Everything. We were on the 42nd floor across from the ball. You must book a year in advance if you want a choice room . The Staff is Very helpful especially to first timers of NYC. The theater district, great restaurants , shopping All in walking distance. The staff will arrange car service for a tour or call a quick cab. No questions asked. You'd figure in a big city hotel they be a little less " nice'. Not here. Even the Bell Hops are polite. Our room was clean and the bed was a huge pillow. Very Happy with this experience

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank HonestChap17
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

It's wonderful that you and your family had the opportunity to experience such an exciting time of year at our hotel! I'm glad that this dream came true and even happier to hear that our team treated you well and took care of your every need. That is what we are here for and I will share your comments to recognize them for their hard work. We hope you'll get a chance to stay with us again soon, even if it's during a different time of the year. There's always something to do in New York!

Write a ReviewReviews (11,367)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

It is sometimes difficult to navigate which floor you need to be on with any building in NYC and this Marriott is no exception. The elevators here can be confusing, you have to select your floor then it tells you what elevator to catch (seems like it sends everyone to the same elevator and waiting times can be great) there are no buttons inside the elevator to choose from, oh and if you are afraid of heights you should know that they are made of glass. The executive lounge was great and the service was top notch, the gym had plenty of equipment and a great location. This hotel is right on times square and steps away from broadway shows, should be fantastic when they get all of the renovations done and maybe they will next work on the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel has a fantastic location. I don't think you could get any better if you want to be close to Times Square.

Unfortunately they are let down on almost everything else, specifically customer care (or lack of it).

A lot of people have mentioned the lifts on here, and they are quite a novelty. When its quiet they are brilliant as they turn up quick, have a great view, and move swiftly. When its busy though, expect to wait. I've just stayed here while at a conference and there were some people tweeting they were stuck on their floor for over 40 minutes. I didn't have to wait longer than 10 minutes - but then i don't think I've had to wait that long elsewhere. Overall the novelty of the lifts, and the speed of them when the building isn't busy, make up for the long wait when it is busy.

The thing that really let this place down for me was the staff. When i checked in the guy barely spoke to me other than asking if i wanted to pay $100 per night extra for a view of Time Square. He simply took my details, handed me a key card with a number on it, then called the next person forward. He didn't tell me what floor my room was on, didn't tell me where breakfast was, didn't even say something like "enjoy your stay". I found this very odd as usually in NYC i find the staff polite and friendly.
When i'd found my room i went back down to reception and asked the concierge if there was gym - she gave me a blunt "yes" - and asked about the revolving restaurant - she said "level 3". She didn't tell me where the gym was, what times it was open. She didn't offer to make a reservation in the restaurant for me. I figured I'd had enough and just went elsewhere.

The next issue i had was that if you turned the air-con off in my room (1761 by the way) then it made a repetitive thud. This isn't noticeable so much in the day, but is at night. I told the receptionist the next day and they told me to leave the air-con on! Thanks very much!!!! As my room was also near the lifts and next to the ice machine it was quite noisy. Add to that the fact that behind the wall the bed was against, seemed to be the laundry room, which was open for noise by about 7.30 every morning, it made it quite an unenjoyable stay. I did consider asking to move, but really didn't want to speak to the staff again. I had one more encounter with a rude concierge during my stay - i won't bore you with the details, she just had a rude attitude.

Interestingly during the conference another person commented how bad he thought the staff were, and when i checked out the guy in front of me was asked "did you have a good stay?", he said "no" to which he was asked "why" and he responded "too many things to go through". So it seems i'm not the only one who thinks the place has some failings.

With all of the above being said, if you can handle rude, miserable staff then the location really is good. Just make sure you don't get a room ending in 61 (by the ice machine, lifts and laundry room) and you don't expect a warm welcome.

I think if Marriot got in a good manager here they could make this a great hotel. Because of the staff its only average.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room ending in 61 (by the ice machine, lifts and laundry room)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to provide the details of your experience. I'm glad you enjoyed our location but our goal is to be so much more than just a location and I'm sorry you experienced so many issues during your stay. Your comments give us a great opportunity to speak with our team and work on retraining where necessary. For you to encounter multiple different staff members who were not hospitable is troubling. I hope that we can regain your trust and have you stay with us next time you are in New York City to show you a true Marquis experience.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you like to be in the center of everything, definitively, this is the best place to stay. Theaters, restaurantes, shops, subway, everything at walking distance. But take into account the noise and traffic. It's even dificult to walk in the área..

Rooms are fine, size is very good compared to others NY hotels, 2 beds + sofá with enough place for 3 people as we were. The bad thing is that a renovation is already needed....

That's the end of the good staff..Service in general is really bad. Staff at front desk are like asking people to leave the place..No kindness at all, never. and the worst, by far, are the elevators. I'm not exageretatin, but if you plan de go to your room a coulple of times during the day, savee at least half an hour for every up and down. It's really incredible...

Wifi is very expensive...$20 a day...

Resuming, abosolutely avoidable...And if yoy want to be there, the are menay alternative with better services around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel M

Thank you for staying and providing a review of your trip. Please accept my apologies for the poor staff service you experienced. I will share your comments with my team so we can use this to learn and grow. I assure you this isn't the standard level of service we strive to provide and our associates do work hard to ensure each guest has an enjoyable stay. I hope you'll give us the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel is in the heart of Times Square and the Theater district, so very convenient if your main purpose is seeing shows, or generally going to anything in midtown. It is a very busy location, and they do host a number of trade shows in the lower level conference / ballrooms, so be prepared to encounter a LOT of people. We had a Times Square view room on an upper floor. Room was nice size for midtown and the view was excellent. Far enough up that much of the noise was muted. We arrived at the hotel mid-morning, well ahead of check-in, but staff was very accommodating and we were in our room within minutes of arriving. In addition, we had arranged for extra towels and toiletries and they were delivered to the room within 30 minutes of our arrival. While they have a nice bar overlooking Times Square, it closes very early. This was disappointing that we could not enjoy late night cocktails on-site. We were there for an extended weekend of Theater going (5 shows in 5 days) but comfortably walked to Rockefeller Plaza, 5th Avenue, Central Park and Macy's as well. The View revolving restaurant at top of hotel hosts a Sunday Brunch that provides a beautiful panorama of the city, while filling you up with delectable treats. No doubt you pay a premium for the location, but if you are visiting midtown sites or going mostly for theaters, it is a very central, convenient location.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor, or the west side of the hotel for quieter rooms (lower street noise levels).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Been to a conference at the Marriott Marquis New York.

I think that this is the worst Hotel I've been in the recent years and that this Hotel is hurting the Marriott brand.

The Elevators do NOT work, you have to think twice before going back to your room.
There is NO reception at the rooms.
The Air Conditioners are not working well at the internal floors.
There is NO normal internet connection, it is constantly disconnecting.
The decor is obsolete and old.
You can't do anything without just waiting.
The walking distance between an elevator and the room is 100~200 meters ! unbelievable that someone planned such a hotel.

the good:
Benjamin the shoe polish guy located at the 8th floor is just great.
The laundry service did a good job
The mattresses were quite surprising

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate you staying with us and I'm sorry that you experienced these issues while you were here. I'm glad you found some positive things, but I will address the faults with our Engineering team so we can work to improve. We work hard to provide you with a wonderful experience and I hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hold on to your children, and don't let go. This place is amazingly busy; if you can find a busier, more terrifying hotel lobby in New York, let me know, (so I can avoid it). This Marriott is so stunningly indifferent to anyone that you really need to just approach it like a campout in an expensive refugee camp. You are there to "survive" New York; see shows, museums, walk around, but this hotel is an industrial machine, indifferently vacuuming up money from your wallet, jam-packed with people that will scare the sh_t out of you--"But it's a Marriott, can it be unsafe for the kids? (Yes!)"--really, the only thing this place has going for it is location, location, location. You are paying for that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I'm sorry you felt so negatively about your experience at our hotel. If there was something in particular that happened while you were here I invite you to contact me to discuss it further. While our building is large, we still care about each individual guest - of all ages - and your safety, security and comfort is our top priority.