“great stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lafayette, Louisiana
“great stay”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great hotel in the middle of Times Square! There is a lot going on in this hotel – a Starbucks, a Broadway theatre, a restaurant, a lounge, etc. Even with all of the various activities, I still felt secure in the hotel.
There are subway and shuttle stations within walking distance in all directions.
The room was nicely sized. Don’t pay extra to overlook Times Square, for as little as you are in your room, it isn’t worth the $100+ a night. Our room overlooked the Hudson River and was perfect – and I imagine more quiet.
Catching a ride back to the hotel was made easy by the bellmen downstairs, for practically the same cost, we had a private car (which was cleaner, smelled better, the driver was more courteous, etc.). I highly recommend!

Room Tip: save over $100/night and opt for a room NOT overlooking Times Square
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KatieG958

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,471)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I had only one night to stay in NY and needed the right place to enjoy Manhattan. The location is perfect, right on Times Square. The hotel is pretty big, which makes it a bit impersonal, but that's about the only downside.
The rooms are very nice, great view. The reception was very friendly.
The executive lounge could serve a better breakfast, choice is a bit limited.
The gym is great, overlooking Times Square and with state of the art equipment.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 15 August 2014

First think I should say and probably the reason I'm giving 4, not 3 stars is the customer service. Fantastic. Bellmen, concierge, check-in staff. All great. If it weren't for them this would have been a 3 at best.

I'd argue this hotel offers the best views of Times Square too. That said, there are 2 other hotels I'd rather stay in any day of the week. I was a first time NYC visitor and wish I'd known what I know now before booking. The Marriott Renaissance is across the street!! It's brand new and a tad cheaper as well.

Maybe I'm a bit snobby, but I feel like the hotel was a outdated, the room had a tub shower for crying out loud. Less updated and luxurious feeling than I prefer at $400 a night. You can get that and more across the street. I'd stay at the Renaissance next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LandonBogey
Corinth, Maine
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

First time in the square and the hotel was absolutely perfect for what we had planned. The hotel is right in the busyness of Times Square and our view from the 20th floor was absolutely stunning! Construction at the hotel was a little abrasive but was not a total bummer. The room was large, comfortable and the couch was perfect for a view of the action. The restaurant offered great food with very good service. The buffet on the top was OK, expensive but the revolving floor was worth at least one meal for the view. A must stay (even with the price) if you want to experience Time's Square. As others did mention, the elevator system is a little confusing and can test your patience but don't let that spoil the atmosphere and enjoyment of the bustling Square!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Peter B
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
We're happy to have been your hotel choice for your first stay in Times Square! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and got to experience some of the different amenities we offer. We hope you'll have the chance to stay with us again next time you're back in New York City.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is amazing,,,especially for NYC! It's right in Times Square but the rooms are cut off so you cannot hear the noise below. The prices are NYC prices on everything from the $17 cosmo to the over priced wine, but that is any MidTown hotel so don't blame them for the sticker shock.

The only issue I had was the elevator system is a nightmare. It takes forever to get anywhere because of them, but there isn't much they can do. I would definitely stay here again and loved the hotel, the staff and everything about it. The reason it got 4 out of 5 stars is that the cleaning crew woke me up in the mornings by coming in my room (not all the way but close enough) while I was sleeping to ask if we wanted our room cleaned. What they should have done was checked with the lobby to see if people have checked out yet or even better, the front desk should ask what time you plan on waking up and delivering a do not knock before XYZ time so that guests aren't bothered. The hotel isn't cheap so waiting until people are normally awake and not in the room shouldn't be an issue.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Adam R
salt lake city
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Look at my hotel review for this place but really was happy with the room and location. Would stay there again if I wanted to be in Times Square.

salt lake city
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just got back from New York with my two boys for their first trip to NYC. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis and we were thrilled with the hotel, except for the elevators. Every one was very helpful and the room was huge for New York standards. If you do not have a package, I would skip eating breakfast here, $33 for the buffet and about $23 for an omelet a la carte. So not the best deal in town but if you are on a package, a good deal.
We had a room on the 44th floor but could still hear sirens from below, you are basically on Times Square. Our room was about 425 sq ft. and it was very nice. Read review about mold and smells in the bathroom, we had none. Our room was clean and comfortable. There was also a twin size love seat/sleeper sofa which wasn't the most comfortable for my son but he still slept there. I wouldn't have slept there because it is a pull out with bad springs (as most are).
On the 8th floor are the restaurants as well as a gift shop/convenience shop/coffee shop. Even though the lines were long in the a.m. they moved quickly.
Now the negative about the hotel, there is only one…THE ELEVATOR SYSTEM. It doesn't make sense. They say that certain elevators as assigned to certain floors but there are 13 elevators and you wait at least 10 minutes no matter what floor you are going to . They need to rethink their system. I don't want to go into detail in how I would assign the elevators/floors but I heard time and time again how horrible the system is.
Would I stay here again? Yes, I think this is a great hotel for families with older children, just because I am not sure I would be comfortable staying here with young children because it is on Times Square. Just too many people and it is a bit overwhelming.
I do give this place a solid A for families, professionals and adults.

Room Tip: Higher floor away from Times Square
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank perkinscat
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We greatly appreciate you writing a review of our hotel and we're happy you enjoyed your experience so much! I'm sorry if you had some issues with the elevators, but it sounds like your stay was positive overall. Your comments will be shared with our team to recognize them for their hard work as everything we do is aimed at providing each guest with a wonderful stay. We can't wait to have you back again when you're in New York City!