“Paint was falling on us.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #371 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Paint was falling on us.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Stayed here over Thanksgiving week for a few nights and going into it, I knew the rooms were going to be small but dang, I measured from the side of the bed and the AC unit and there was less then two feet of space to move through. Luckily there was a closet to put our bags in unlike some other hotels I've stayed at with small rooms like the paramount.

My first of two issues with this place is the main lobby is a cluster. I don't know if it was because it was Thanksgiving week or if it's usually like that but it appears there was no room for people checking their bags at the front desk as they were always piled in the main lobby and made it look run down and unorganized. Also, people are always gathering there so trying to get the front desk was a pain since the bags were taking up a lot of the room in the lobby.

My second issue and the bigger one was every morning when we woke up, we had pieces of paint from the ceiling falling on us. I didn't notice the ceiling until after the first night but after looking at it closely, the paint on the whole ceiling was cracking and peeling off and every day we were finding pieces on the bed, floor and bathroom. Just from that happening and the front desk saying there were no rooms to move us to and didn't feel like it was an issue, I will no longer be staying here. I completely understand if the hotel was sold out, but most places I've stayed at that if something is wrong and they can't move me or fix the issue, they comp a free breakfast or discount the room some... Well that wasn't happening here since they knew I had no other place to really go since it was a pre-paid room.

I usually have better options when I travel to NYC 4-5 times a year for work but for personal travel, this is on my "do not book" list.

Room Tip: Make sure you check your room and see if the paint is peeling off.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the issue with the paint chips in the room provided to you during your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we hope you will join us again for a more positive experience.

Don Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had wonderful experience at this very cozy boutique hotel. I love the new renovated lobby. When I checked in, Ryan and Cathy gave me a warm welcome. The whole check in process was very quick and smooth. My request had been taken good care. I was so happy to choose Paramount and I will definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Emily_88131
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that Ryan and Cathy delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

An excellent option. Near everything, just a few steps from Times Square, the heart of NY. The room I was in was great, REALLY clean. In fact it was literally cleaned every day, mainly the bathroom. The towels were clean and soft, too. The breakfast was delicious, with many options,even to those who are not used to a traditional American breakfast. The waiters were attentive and smiling.
But the manager for customer care, Ryan, was like the perfect host. He was always there asking if everyhing was ok, very attentive and polite. Almost all the staff was impressive, but he deserves congratulations. Really friendly andhard-working.
So, Paramount is really an amazibg place to be in NY.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank PauloKL
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel, and please accept my thanks for your excellent comments regarding our staff, especially towards Ryan. I will most assuredly share your compliment with them, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Overall I was satisfied with my stay at the Paramount. If you want to be near Times Sq., you can't beat this location. Very close to the heart of Times Sq. but on a side street so not as noisy or busy as the hotels facing Broadway. The rooms are very small, and since this is my first time staying in a hotel in NYC (I'm from NYC and was using the hotel while family stayed at my apartment) I was not prepared for exactly how small a standard room in this city is.

Although small, the room was clean, upgraded and had everything you would expect. The free wireless was a bonus. Also, there is a new gym on the 2nd floor that was quite nice and also always empty. Staff was pleasant. I also appreciated that there was always a doorman at the front entrance to keep non-guests from loitering in the lobby.

To be completely honest, if I were a tourist I probably wouldn't opt to stay in Times Sq (Union Sq. would probably be at the top of my list for convenient, less crowded home bases for tourists). But if someone was looking for a hotel in this neighborhood, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Paramount. Good for everyone - couples, solo, families, friends, business.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelgal24Nyc
Thank you so much for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Brindisi, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012 for 10 days on a business trip. The location is actually spot on from the touristic point of view, I was by myself, so I had a single room on the 9th floor. The window faced the back of the hotel small street/skid row type, so there was really no view and little light coming through.
The entrance of the hotel is conveninent, the staff have been quite kind but business-like, also beacuse the hotel was quite busy when I was there. There is an internet corner with fixed iPads for free for guests and times square is a stone-throw away. There are lots of coffee places around and it is easy to go out for breakfast in the monring if it is not included in the hotel price.
The hotel style is sort of 1930's. The hall is small but new, while the roomds (very small) are probably a little older. There is carpet on the floor, which was in decent shape. There is really no room for the luggage, so small was the room and the wardrobe is tiny, where an an ironing board avaiable. The bathroom is also small. It has a bathtub and overall it has a decent size compared to the room.
The atmosphere of the hotel was OK, but I would not reccommend the samller rooms to couple, unless on a very short trip or just passing through.
Overall the experience was fine, but the room was really small. I could almost turn the room lights off from my bed with my foot but i guess this is what NY offers, space is really precious.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the front side to have some view and check if larger rooms are available for the sa...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Giovanni M
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay, but do apologize if you found the room to be too small. Though New York City hotel rooms can be a different size from the norm, we hope that our amazing location and great amenities will make up for the space. We do hope you will return soon, and we would be happy to show you the variety of rooms we offer.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have stayed here twice this year due to the fabulous location. Walked to theater, dining and sites. The front desk was kind enough to upgrade our room at no additional cost and check in early( 1pm). The lobby renovations are lovely and comfortable and the new coffee shop was reasonable and delicious. We have been recommending this new find and only wish we'd found it sooner.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank adicwi
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I chose this hotel based on its location, it's affordability and that it looked lovely both internally and externally and I was not disappointed.
The hotel is absolutely lovely, it is about a 2 minute walk (if that?) from Times square and you can pretty much see Times Sq as soon as you step out of the hotel and look left. However, it is set back just that little bit so there is no noise from pedestrians or traffic at night.
The rooms are small, yes, so if you want a large spacious room this isn't the hotel for you - or upgrade. I was lucky to receive a free upgrade as my room was not ready when I arrived, and it was sufficient for me - a lone female traveller.
The beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in any hotel, in any US state, in any country in the world. I would honestly go back to this hotel in a heartbeat, the service there is also great. Cannot fault the hotel at all. The air conditioning can get a little too cold at times, but it is welcomed after emerging into the room from the heat outside during the hotter months!

Room Tip: Expect the rooms to be very small, if more space is required, ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank vanessa__x
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Paramount. I am delighted to hear that you had a very comfortable night's sleep and enjoyed the bedding in your guest room as well as the service that you received from our team members. I will share your comments with our team. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Best regards,