“Amazing location, great lobby, very small rooms”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #380 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing location, great lobby, very small rooms”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

First and foremost, this hotel is good value for money. In a city where you seemingly pay more per square foot for a hotel room than any other city in the world, the prices at this place are good. Or at least they have been during my two stays.

The lobby is really very very cool - much nicer than you would expect for the rates they charge.

Staff at check-in were very polite and I was offered complimentary wifi which I appreciated.

When I got to my room (441), it was tiny to say the least, and I had paid slightly more when booking for what was meant to be a bit of a bigger room. I was travelling on my own though and it was 10 at night so I just unpacked. I then went downstairs for a drink at the bar and while I was down there I raised the issue of the small room with the receptionist. I was told that it was in fact one of their smallest in that room category (an overly suspicious me would suggest this means I was put in a room of a lower category but not knowing the intricacies of their room categorisation, I did not question it). I was told there was nothing else available that night but if I wanted to pack the next day I could possibly be moved somewhere else. As as was in town for work and was due to be spending very little time at the hotel, I settled for what I had been given.

Staff at the bar were very pleasant, offering me food right before the kitchen shut (lots of places will discourage you at such a late hour so the kitchen staff can get off on time) which was appreciated. Quite pricey though.

Back to the room - decor was quite nice, TV was great, iPod dock etc. Bed was a decent size and VERY comfy. It was a little tatty 'round the edges though - the window did not shut properly so there was always a draft, the bathroom was miniscule, the sink had no plug and worst of all, storage was VERY limited. In the cupboard there were two drawers with a safe on top, meaning any clothes you hung could not hang properly - the bottom of them rested on the top of the safe.

Finally the location - if you're a tourist it is amazing. I was working nearby too so it was ideal for me.

Overall , if you don't plan on spending much time in your room (who would given the location of this hotel?) and the rates are as cheap as when I have stayed (under £200/night), I would certainly consider this hotel. When you arrive, you feel you are staying somewhere far more plush than you have paid for. I will look up rates for it for sure next time I go to NYC.

P.S. One more gripe - when I checked out, the lady on reception was listening (loudly) to music on her mobile phone which she had placed on her desk. She didn't switch this off the whole time I was checking out and I am fairly certain it was not music that the designers and feng-shui experts will have had in mind when planning the lobby. A bit lame, really.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lifts and make sure you get the room you pay for!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I greatly appreciate your detailed and candid feedback with regards to your stay with us, and I will share it with my team.

Gary Tucker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been stayed at the Paramount for the last five months and I just want to share my appreciation for the front desk crew and especially a big thumbs up for Nerma Bicic. If I had an employee tomorrow morning to hire ,that would be someone like her ,always smiling ,truly professionnal and very efficient ........
She is always giving a five stars service ...

sincerely ,

sylvain st-Maurice

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I am glad to hear that our front desk agents Nerma was able to facilitate a good experience for you. We look forward to have you again as our guest! Hope to see you very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 November 2013

if you want a decent clean hotel close to Times square then this is your hotel,
less than 1 block walk to the middle of times square,easy access to taxis from the other side of the hotel,room are VERY small though

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer many sizes of rooms that we would be happy to show you the next time you visit NYC.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I tried The Paramount because my usual hotel was full. I'll now be staying at The Paramount.

The room was very clean. It was average size compared to other Manhattan hotels. The bathroom was a decent size, certainly not the smallest I've stayed in.

If you want a nice quiet room, you don't want to stay in Times Square. The usual sirens and NY sounds didn't keep me awake at night, but might affect others - I also like to keep the windows slightly open.

Wireless internet in the room was expensive, so like other guests I used the free internet access in the lobby. The lobby itself is dark, with a large fireplace and lots of seating.

There's a coffee shop attached to the hotel which was pretty good (better than Starbucks). The bar area was nice - it's away from the street entrance so it wasn't too busy.

I used the free gym every day and only saw someone else in there on one occasion! There were 3 treadmills, some fixed weights and free-weight dumbbells with benches. More than adequate for a hotel gym.

For some reason my room keys kept losing their magnetic code, so I had to go to reception a few times. I'm not sure what caused this - I've stayed in many hotels with electronic keys and never had such a problem before. The hotel staff just kept re-syncing my room keys without any problems.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking to the time to share your thoughts! I always appreciate comments such as yours, for they make all our hardwork worthwhile. As you noted, we have clean rooms, well located and our Corso coffee is amazing. I am so glad you had the opportunity to share our wonderment. Thanks again for staying with us, and I hope that we have the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you again soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed over the weekend to see musical, and this hotel offers a better deal for the good location it has. Our room was small, but it was very clean, no complaints on that. The lobby area is super cozy, one of the best I've seen. Unfortunately, check-in time was terribly long, waited half an hour at the lobby while seeing other guests got their room within few minutes.
Our room faced the street, and it was noisy almost entire night, we kept hearing trucks all night long. But I guess that's why it is called the city that never sleep.
If your purpose is to see musical, this hotel can be a good option. Bear in mind the noise and the crowded broadway street (I eventually chose to walk on 8th avenue instead).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments! I am very pleased that we were able to host such a memorable experience. We do have other rooms behind the hotel that are more quiet for your needs. I do apologies that our check-in was long and sometimes if you want rooms with a view they take a little longer. I appreciate your loyalty and hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just Came back from a long weekend break in NYC.. We Travelled from Ireland for my daughters 18th Birthday. . There was 4 of us in a double double room. It was not a very big room but it met our needs perfectly. Location is BRILLIANT... SPOTLESS CLEAN. but expensive to eat or drink in.. Considering it is NYC, there is Pizza & Pasta etc next door and all around..
We had a Perfect Time and Would Recommend this Hotel EVERYTIME...

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room with a view..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rita B
Thank you very much for such a lovely review! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your continued loyalty.

Windsor
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the Paramount and so glad we chose to stay again - the hotel's location is fantastic and very central.

We arrived at the hotel at 12pm with a view to just drop our bags off as we were early for check in (check in is at 3pm), but we were able to check in early and received an upgrade (at no extra cost!!). Catherine on the front desk was so helpful, and was even kind enough to give us a code for the WIFI that is usually chargeable. The lobby is very chic and smells amazing!!

Rooms are a little on the small side but are very comfortable and immaculate - same for the bathrooms too! There is also a laptop size safe in the room - which was great as safety was important to us.

We will for sure be booking to stay again at the Paramount for our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HSihera
Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your experience of our hotel! It is fantastic to see that our location was so conducive in making your stay a successful one. We are so fortunate with our ideal location that is so centrally located. I am so pleased that your accommodations enhanced your pleasant experience as well.

Thank you so much once again and we look forward to hosting you in the near future!