“Great location, stunning lobby”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #377 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, stunning lobby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel lobby is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen and makes you feel as if you were staying at a luxury hotel. The rooms are modern and nice, and of decent size, especially for New York City. The hotel was in perfect location, the bus station I arrived at was only 5 min away. Times Square, Rockefeller, Empire State Bld. etc. were all in walking distance. If you are going to NYC for sightseeing, shopping or shows I can only recommend the Paramount.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us. I am thrilled you enjoyed our lobby, our rooms and our location.

Gary Tucker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Brown murky water in the shower, nails on the carpet, paint peeling off the walls, dirty bathrooms, rude and curt receptionists. There are better hotels for the same price point in the area. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
On behalf of the my team and myself we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We flew in on a redeye and arrived at the hotel at 9am. We booked online and I knew we were only able to get a queen size bed with the room. I had called in advance and they told me they could possibly help me out the next day, but no guarantees.

When we arrived, Catherine at the front desk was fantastic. We first asked her about the possibility of an early check in since we were exhausted from the flight. Didn't really expect to get it, but than she told us she was going to make it happen and we could get into our room at 9am! Lifesaver!

Then we ask about getting the 2 beds... Once again, she made it happen, no problem at all.

Her customer service was EXCELLENT and although I just got here, I would highly recommend it for the price, location and level of service.

I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I am glad to hear that our front desk agents were able to facilitate a good experience and that you enjoyed the conveniences of our location.Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and I hope to see you again at Paramount Hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First and foremost, this hotel is good value for money. In a city where you seemingly pay more per square foot for a hotel room than any other city in the world, the prices at this place are good. Or at least they have been during my two stays.

The lobby is really very very cool - much nicer than you would expect for the rates they charge.

Staff at check-in were very polite and I was offered complimentary wifi which I appreciated.

When I got to my room (441), it was tiny to say the least, and I had paid slightly more when booking for what was meant to be a bit of a bigger room. I was travelling on my own though and it was 10 at night so I just unpacked. I then went downstairs for a drink at the bar and while I was down there I raised the issue of the small room with the receptionist. I was told that it was in fact one of their smallest in that room category (an overly suspicious me would suggest this means I was put in a room of a lower category but not knowing the intricacies of their room categorisation, I did not question it). I was told there was nothing else available that night but if I wanted to pack the next day I could possibly be moved somewhere else. As as was in town for work and was due to be spending very little time at the hotel, I settled for what I had been given.

Staff at the bar were very pleasant, offering me food right before the kitchen shut (lots of places will discourage you at such a late hour so the kitchen staff can get off on time) which was appreciated. Quite pricey though.

Back to the room - decor was quite nice, TV was great, iPod dock etc. Bed was a decent size and VERY comfy. It was a little tatty 'round the edges though - the window did not shut properly so there was always a draft, the bathroom was miniscule, the sink had no plug and worst of all, storage was VERY limited. In the cupboard there were two drawers with a safe on top, meaning any clothes you hung could not hang properly - the bottom of them rested on the top of the safe.

Finally the location - if you're a tourist it is amazing. I was working nearby too so it was ideal for me.

Overall , if you don't plan on spending much time in your room (who would given the location of this hotel?) and the rates are as cheap as when I have stayed (under £200/night), I would certainly consider this hotel. When you arrive, you feel you are staying somewhere far more plush than you have paid for. I will look up rates for it for sure next time I go to NYC.

P.S. One more gripe - when I checked out, the lady on reception was listening (loudly) to music on her mobile phone which she had placed on her desk. She didn't switch this off the whole time I was checking out and I am fairly certain it was not music that the designers and feng-shui experts will have had in mind when planning the lobby. A bit lame, really.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lifts and make sure you get the room you pay for!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review. I greatly appreciate your detailed and candid feedback with regards to your stay with us, and I will share it with my team.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been stayed at the Paramount for the last five months and I just want to share my appreciation for the front desk crew and especially a big thumbs up for Nerma Bicic. If I had an employee tomorrow morning to hire ,that would be someone like her ,always smiling ,truly professionnal and very efficient ........
She is always giving a five stars service ...

sincerely ,

sylvain st-Maurice

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I am glad to hear that our front desk agents Nerma was able to facilitate a good experience for you. We look forward to have you again as our guest! Hope to see you very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

if you want a decent clean hotel close to Times square then this is your hotel,
less than 1 block walk to the middle of times square,easy access to taxis from the other side of the hotel,room are VERY small though

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer many sizes of rooms that we would be happy to show you the next time you visit NYC.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I tried The Paramount because my usual hotel was full. I'll now be staying at The Paramount.

The room was very clean. It was average size compared to other Manhattan hotels. The bathroom was a decent size, certainly not the smallest I've stayed in.

If you want a nice quiet room, you don't want to stay in Times Square. The usual sirens and NY sounds didn't keep me awake at night, but might affect others - I also like to keep the windows slightly open.

Wireless internet in the room was expensive, so like other guests I used the free internet access in the lobby. The lobby itself is dark, with a large fireplace and lots of seating.

There's a coffee shop attached to the hotel which was pretty good (better than Starbucks). The bar area was nice - it's away from the street entrance so it wasn't too busy.

I used the free gym every day and only saw someone else in there on one occasion! There were 3 treadmills, some fixed weights and free-weight dumbbells with benches. More than adequate for a hotel gym.

For some reason my room keys kept losing their magnetic code, so I had to go to reception a few times. I'm not sure what caused this - I've stayed in many hotels with electronic keys and never had such a problem before. The hotel staff just kept re-syncing my room keys without any problems.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking to the time to share your thoughts! I always appreciate comments such as yours, for they make all our hardwork worthwhile. As you noted, we have clean rooms, well located and our Corso coffee is amazing. I am so glad you had the opportunity to share our wonderment. Thanks again for staying with us, and I hope that we have the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you again soon.