“Stay away from this place”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #404 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here over the weekend and would not recommend it to anyone. Terrible hotel experience & lack of customer service. The lobby looks very nice & modern but it ends there. Upon arrival I had checked in some bags as my room wasn't ready. Coming back from a long exhausting day the bellman was no where to be found. End up going to our room without the bags. The TV channels didn't work. It was very static and couldn't watch the channel we wanted. The window in the room was filthy! Dinner at the bar/ restaurant was a joke. We sat ourselves as the hostess was nowhere to be found. Had to ask the busser for the menu. Waiter was very short. Food was mediocre & very over priced. Would have been better off dining outside. The 7am wake up call was never delivered. The extended check out that was requested over the phone was never taken down. I specifically asked if the key will still work and was told yes. The key didn't work. If you are new to New York, their parking policy is really strict. If you park your car for 25 hrs or more you will be charged a 2nd day. We are new to the area and was not told this upon check in. If I had known this I would have moved my car. Oh 1 more important thing to remember, if you are parking your car at the hotel, make sure to note down your gas level when you check in. I specifically remember that there was over a half a tank of gas left the day I check in & the next day when I check out the tank was nearly empty. I know they park your car at a different location but it doesn't take half a tank to drive there and back. Very fishy! I don't recommend this place for families or business travelers. Even the wifi has a surcharge.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank FancyHotels
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. On behalf of the team and myself, we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you.

Gary Tucker

Write a ReviewReviews (5,056)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We needed a place to stay before joining our group at another hotel in Times Square so gave this place a try.
Price is cheaper than many for the location but you get what you pay for.
Whole hotel is VERY dark, from the lobby to hallways, etc.
Reception people friendly and helpful enough and we did like the security checking for keys when we got back late one night.
Rooms are very small and no coffee maker, etc. TV reception faded in out too much.
If you need a room to just sleep while out and about this place is ok.
Good location!
Stay up higher if you don't want the noise of NYC all night.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. While we are delighted to see that you enjoyed some aspects of our hotel, we do offer many sizes of rooms that we would be happy to show you the next time you visit NYC. I do thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed at the Paramount for our anniversary, when checking in we spoke with Cathy who was extremely helpful. When she heard it was our 25th wedding anniversary she went the extra mile and up grated our room. The room was beautiful and the location is perfect.
Cathy helped make our stay special.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary and I am please to hear that your had an amazing experience at our hotel. I will share your comment with Cathy. We hope to have you stay with us if your future travels bring you back to NYC.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed at the Paramount Hotel from 11/11/13 – 11/13/13. As soon as I walked into the hotel I received excellent customer service. The front lobby staff, I believe her name was Nathalie, was extremely professional and welcoming. She insured my luggage was stored while my room was made available. She called me and let me know that my room was ready, and upon my departure from the hotel made the check-out experience fast and easy so that I could catch my train. The storage room staff were also very professional as well.

I felt the rooms were small, but had a nice cozy feel to it. The fitness room was sufficient for a hotel of its size, containing several cardio and weight lifting machines, and dumbbells. The hallways were fairly dark, and I felt they would do better to brighten them up. The bathroom tub in my room could have used a little upgrading. But the bathroom and the room itself were kept very clean. The cleaning staff did a great job with room cleanliness, towels, etc. Overall, the hotel has a comfortable, laid back, unpretentious feel to it.

In summary, I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely choose this hotel again during my next business trip to NY which will be very soon and often.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Walter B

Thank you for this wonderful 5 Star review. I am so pleased that you got the uniqueness of our hotel - great service, great design, great value.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

From the minute we checked in, we had an excellent stay. The location is great, the room is great. The hotel is beautiful. My 8 year old daughter and i loved every minute. Can't get closer to Times Square.
Carlos U. at the front desk was great!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor - had no problem with the street noise. It was just fine.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your 5 star review!!! I am very proud of our staff, especially Carlos and the service he provides. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Myself and 3 girlfriends stayed at the Paramount for 7 nights this November and we had a great experience. We were very nervous, as we heard the rooms are very small. However - keep in mind that this is a very old building and is considered "boutique". The lobby is absolutely stunning - dark and beautiful, with tons of lush furniture to relax on while you use the free wifi (lobby only - costs around $13-14 per 24 hours per device in your room). We arrived a few hours before check-in, and were hoping that they would accept us early - and they did!! Our room was ready, and we were delighted.

We stayed on the 5th floor, and our view was of a brick wall and a few buildings, but this did not bother us at ALL, as we were not planning on spending a lot of time in our room. It was a broadway classic double, with 2 full sized beds and we were right next to the elevator. We did not hear a sound at night. However, the walls are very thin and we could hear our neighbors' conversations perfectly clear. This didn't bother us, as it did not occur very often. As we were presumably at the back of the building, we did not hear traffic at night.

Tip - there is an ice machine on only one floor (the fourth).

The bathrooms are very small but it did not bother us. The safe is easy to use in the room... you type in a four digit code or use your credit card (much easier with a code). We did not have to touch our thermostat the entire stay - very nice and comfortable. The staff were very kind, and the doormen are always friendly. Right next door to a pizza place that is DELICIOUS. Also directly across from the Romeo & Juliet play starring Orlando Bloom and we saw him one night outside of the venue!

The best part of this hotel is the LOCATION. You are literally a 30 second walk to times square where you can wait in the TKTS lineup for discount show tickets and obviously all of the shopping and restaurants. Very close to the 42nd street Subway station, too!! Walking distance to the Empire State building (10-15 blocks?) and central park, etc. You can take the subway or a cab if you don't want to walk!

Upside - obviously locations, tap water is delicious and totally clean/drinkable! TV has a lot of good channels if you are ever in the room.

Downside - there was no fridge in our room and with such large portions at restaurants, would have been nice to have one. Also, no coffee machine. Fact that there is no free wifi in the rooms. Had to call down to room service for a couple of robes and wine glasses but they were very prompt!! Did not bother with the hotel restaurant or bar because the prices were SO OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! No swimming pool.

Clock in our room was wrong and we did not know how to fix it, as it was a digital Ipod dock...now I am just getting nit-picky!!

Room Tip: Ice on 4th floor... Also get something not facing the road.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Newfiechick1
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

hank you for your 5 Star review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our team, and of course our location. We are glad you are now a loyal Paramount guest!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I just got back from The Paramount hotel after staying 4 nights this past weekend 11/8-11/12.

The lobby is really nice and the front desk staff was friendly, check-in was fast and efficent. The elevators are dark and it's a little hard to see the floor numbers, which wouldn't normally wouldn't be a problem after a few trips because you end up knowing where the button is, but each elevator the numbers were in a different place since some elevators had more buttons for sub floors. If they could light the numbers a little more that would be a gret help.

The room I had was call a "Broadway Classic" it had a full bed and it was tiny. I know some people say, "This is New York, all the rooms are small." Not true. I've stayed in plenty of hotels in the same area for less ad had a bigger room. With that being said the bed was comfortable, the pillows were all feathers and not that great. The bathroom was of decent size. It had plenty of shelf space and the area around the sink was spacious.

I was on the 8th floor and the noise from the city didn't bother me. It was pretty much non-existant except for a fire, police or ambulance that went by occasionally. Noise from the hall with loud, but no one on the floor I was on was screaming or making a lot of noise during the night so it did not bother me.

Two things that need to be fixed are the peeling paint in the rooms. The room was looking a bit tired and could use some painting. And the second is the AC/Heating noise. It's so loud. It was really warm in the room nearing 77 degrees and I adjusted the temp to 72. When the AC kicked on you would've thought a train was going thru the room. When it kicked on in the middle of the night it gave me a startle.

The location is great, right on 46th st and the Imperial and Richard Rogers are across the street. At the end of the street you walk into Times Square by the American Eagle store.

Overall it was a good stay with no major issues. The rooms could use a repainting and the ac/heating units can be updated, but the staff was friendly and it's in a great location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for staying with us at our hotel and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We will certainly take these points, share with our team here and grow stronger from them.