“Simply Pathetic”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #389 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Rude and unhelpful staff, we booked two twin rooms and brought the printed emails of confirmation to be told we had two rooms with one single bed in each, for four of us. After arguing for 30 minutes explaining that we wouldn't fit they told us there were 'No more rooms available, but if we pay an extra $20 a night we can upgrade to different rooms.' Which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They also explained that their double beds are not normal double beds, but much smaller. So be weary of that con.
Rooms were small, showers were lacking any water pressure - And to top it all off we had to pay to store our bags, costing us an extra $20. Possibly the only hotel with extra hidden costs at every turn. Quite frankly pathetic service, but the location is good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LilGreensManagment
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, and I appreciate your thoughts on the experience. I would also like to thank you for commenting on the water pressure in your room. Of course, we aim to satisfy every guest and I have contacted my Chief engineer to ensure that the water pressure in all of our rooms is of the highest standard. I am sorry that you did not find our hotel to be of the utmost quality, and that are staff was not helpful. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again.

There are newer reviews for Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Second time staying at The Paramount Hotel for work, and both times were a bad experience, but I'll only detail this past one.

Pros:
- Location for first-time tourists. A block from Times Square, which is great if that's what you want, and terribly, awfully annoying if you don't. Because it's such a touristy area, the restaurants close-by are mostly bad and over-priced.
- Cleanliness. My room was very clean upon arrival, and well-maintained by the staff.
- Quiet rooms. I got some street noise, but never heard my neighbors, which was nice.

Cons:
- I had a pretty bad experience (detailed below), but to save you reading time (unless you're curious) I'll say this: they absolutely do not value guests or creating a good experience. As a Times Square hotel, they know the majority of their customers are tourists just looking for a good deal. Therefore, trying to keep business is not a priority and they treat guests like interchangeable commodities. I experienced no effort to be helpful, kind, or welcoming, from any of the staff.

- Hotel staff. They make no effort to make you comfortable or feel welcome. My coworker and I arrived early and checked in, but were told our room wasn't free until the scheduled check-in time of 3:00 pm. Totally fine - checking in early is nice when it happens, but can't be expected. However, when I asked the receptionist for suggestions on what to do she was cold, rude, and not helpful. I then asked about room amenities and got one-word answers to all my questions.
- They gave our room away. Part of our group was checking in later, and when they arrived at 2:00 am, the management couldn't find one of their rooms. We spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what had happened, and the only solution they offered was for us to buy another room. Then, at the last minute, the receptionist discovered that we did indeed have a room, but it had been given away! They gave us another room at no cost, but it took them about another 20 min to do that. The whole thing took about an hour, and a very tired and unhappy part of our group wasn't in bed until 3:00 am. They did not apologize for their mistake, nor did they offer us a discount on this stay or a future stay (or any other compensation for the inconvenience). Clearly they don't value guests at all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lindsey S

On behalf of my team and myself we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had arrived from London heathrow which is an 8 1/2 hour flight, our room was not quite ready so staff checked our bags away safe so we could go ad explore. Our room when we got in was amazing, comfortable and modern just enough space for our luggage the bathroom was clean and of an excellent standard. This trip was a present for my mother's birthday and the staff and high quality service made it worth every penny paid. We had wifi available to allow us to email home. One outstanding area of the hotel services was the staff on reception who spoke fluent Spanish to another customer who was struggling with English. Next time I'm in NYC I know where I'm staying :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking to the time to share your thoughts and thank you so much for your 5 star review! I always appreciate comments such as yours, for they make all our hard work worthwhile. I am glad that you had such a great experience, for I am very proud of our wonderful team and the fantastic service they provide. I hope to see you stay with us again in the future and look forward to the opportunity to provide you excellence in service again very soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was worried about what I was gong to be met with having read previous reviews about this hotel but I don't know what I was worried about!! This hotel was excellent!
We stayed for 4 nights, mid December. Location is excellent, right at Times Square - you couldn't ask for better. Yes you could hear sirens from vehicles but you are in the middle of New York!
Room was small but had everything we needed. It was clean, made up daily, perfect for somewhere to sleep after a long day. Nowhere specific to store cases but not a disaster. Lobby had free wifi which we made use of and it was great. Lobby was very cosy and comfortable.
New York was an amazing city and I would love to visit again and when I do, I'll be re-booking for The Paramount Hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your 5 star review!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our lobby, and of course our location. We hope to see you for many years to come.

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Small rooms but done to a lovely standard, very modern and clean. The entrance/reception is beautiful and creative. The staff when checking in were very friendly and polite. The location is the best part of this hotel! You literally walk outside the building and your on Times square!! Why stay anywhere else!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you so much for the nice words in regards to your stay with us at our hotel! It is great to see that your stay was a success and that our location suited you just right. We are glad you are now a loyal Paramount guest!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Excellent location.Room very small, no wardrobe to speak off, no- where to really put our cases. The bathroom was the size of a cupboard. Our booking said we would have bathrobes and a Shower/bath combination - neither existed. The water pressure in the shower was very poor. Only two elevators working on the Sat .morning. Was bedlam with people trying to get to the ground floor. People were having to go up, just to be able to go down .However , despite these minor details , the location to all "things New York" made this hotel a great choice.You don't go to New York to sit in your room all day, you just want a bed at the end of a day. We were fortunate to be given a room upon arrival instead of having to wait until 3pm- which we really appreciated.Would stay there again.Look for deals to save on room costs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. While we are delighted to see that you enjoyed some aspects of the Paramount, we do offer rooms with shower/bath combinations and bathrobes when requested. On your next visit please contact my Guest Experience Manager Oscar Vela at ovela@paramount-nyc.com so he can block a great room for you.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

The paramount could not be in a better location! It's literally 1 minute if that away from Times Square!! Perfect! There was 3 of us travelled together 2 females and 1 male all friends and we booked a room with 2 double beds, we had read lots of reviews that the rooms were very small so we called the hotel a week before our arrival and asked of possible as there was 3 of us if we could be allocated a bigger room, we were told that a note had been adde to our booking and we would be allocated a corner room as these were abit bigger. On arrival we were given room 921 which was right opposite the lifts and when we walked in we could hardly believe it!! It was tiny! There was 2 beds but they were maybe 1 inch bigger than singles! Nowhere near big enough for 2 adults to share!! So after a trip back to reception we were then allocated room 935 this was much better! We also asked about the phonecall we'd made and actually given a reference number for but they just looked at us like they had no idea what we were talking about! Anyway we left it at that as this room was fine!!

Room was very quiet considering how close to Times Square it is, we never heard a thing at night except for the air con/heating in the room!! The fan can be quite loud but didn't bother us!! Hotel is lobby is beautiful but is very dark as is a lot of the hotel!!

If there is 2 of you then a double double room would be fabulous!! Only a couple of niggles and didn't find the reception staff very helpful which I was disappointed in but other than that I would stay again and will recommend!!

New York itself is absolutly amazing!! 4 nights is not enough! I would say go for 1 week!! There is sooo much to do and so many places to eat and drink we just didn't get enough time for them all!! We ate at bubba gump on our second night and would definatly reccommend! The food was fab and very reasonable priced and the atmosphere in the restaurant is brill!! We had to wait at the bar for half an hour for a table and the barmen were shouting out questions from forest gump and if you answered right you got a free shot! Was fab!!

Really wanted to eat at carmines on 44th street but couldn't get it it was so busy! Would reccommend for anyone that likes Italian to pre book this restaurant before you go!!

All in all a amazing holiday and I can't wait to go back! Wether it will be to the paramount I'm not sure depends which hotels are on offer but must be in Times Square!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, and I appreciate your thoughts on your experience. We hope to see you for many years to come.