“Does its job”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #400 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I've stayed for 5 nights in this very central Hotel in Times Square NYC. Overall it's a very dynamic and modern hotel. The lobby seems like a Disco, with very loud music and people laying around on big sofas. Service is average, staff is always very busy, so if you have any enquiry to make you may have to wait some time before you get paid any attention. Rooms are tiny but everything is organised in a way to save space. Beds are comfortable. Of course, keep in mind that you are in the centre of a city that never sleeps, so you may be disturbed by noise coming from outside during the night, even if you are in a very high floor ( nothing that you can blame the hotel for ) . In conclusion, if you really want to stay in the centre, this can be a wise and relatively affordable option.

Room Tip: Higher floor . Room size may vary ( they are all very small though), ask for a not-so-tiny-room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JCAlmeida
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Paramount Hotel. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your experience was a positive one! We hope to see you for many years to come.

Warm regards,

Oscar Vela
Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,740)

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The Paramont Hotel was a good value for us and was in a good location just one block from Times Square on restaurant row. Easy walk to nearby attractions like, Radio City Music Hall, Rockfeller Center, the Intrepid Museum. The hotel was comfortable with a fire place in the lobby, hotel security was present and the staff were pleasant. The room as a bit small and poor lighting in bathroom. However, clean and comfortable overall we enjoyed our stay at the Paramont Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for the wonderful comments! I am very pleased that we were able to host such a memorable experience. I am pleased to know that you had a clean and comfortable room with a great location and value. I hope to see you stay with us again in the future and look forward to the opportunity to provide you excellence in service again very soon.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

OK - let me start off by saying that had I been a solo traveler, the hotel experience would've been just fine. We booked the hotel through an online hotel site (with zero problems prior). The ad for the hotel clearly stated "enough room for two people", however that bed that they put us in was in no way adequate for two people, especially, especially, when one is 7 months pregnant. Word of advice to the hotel employees, when a pregnant woman comes to check in please don't put the couple in a tiny room. To add insult to injury, I went back down to upgrade but they very quickly shot me down saying that the hotel was full. That, was a load of BS, I was able to check on the same hotel website & for 3 hours after I had asked about an upgrade, rooms were still available. To add salt onto an already gaping wound, I asked if I could cancel the room, so that I could re-book somewhere else, somewhere more comfortable for a baby carrying fatty like me, to which they responded "no, you need to check with the hotel site". I called the hotel site, they told me that it was up to the hotel, Hotel Tonight ended up calling the Paramount to ask if they would cancel the room for us, & the hotel denied us. So, yeah, for 200 bucks we alternated sleeping on the floor. Loud sounds came from the heating/ac unit, the water pressure was nothing but a trickle, & the handle on the sink was totally broken. The beds are just way too small for two people....I get it, I grew up in NYC, s**t is tight, but at least accurately advertise the rooms to hold 1 person comfortably, not 2.

1  Thank AlaskaCamel
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Rude and unhelpful staff, we booked two twin rooms and brought the printed emails of confirmation to be told we had two rooms with one single bed in each, for four of us. After arguing for 30 minutes explaining that we wouldn't fit they told us there were 'No more rooms available, but if we pay an extra $20 a night we can upgrade to different rooms.' Which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They also explained that their double beds are not normal double beds, but much smaller. So be weary of that con.
Rooms were small, showers were lacking any water pressure - And to top it all off we had to pay to store our bags, costing us an extra $20. Possibly the only hotel with extra hidden costs at every turn. Quite frankly pathetic service, but the location is good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LilGreensManagment

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, and I appreciate your thoughts on the experience. I would also like to thank you for commenting on the water pressure in your room. Of course, we aim to satisfy every guest and I have contacted my Chief engineer to ensure that the water pressure in all of our rooms is of the highest standard. I am sorry that you did not find our hotel to be of the utmost quality, and that are staff was not helpful. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Second time staying at The Paramount Hotel for work, and both times were a bad experience, but I'll only detail this past one.

Pros:
- Location for first-time tourists. A block from Times Square, which is great if that's what you want, and terribly, awfully annoying if you don't. Because it's such a touristy area, the restaurants close-by are mostly bad and over-priced.
- Cleanliness. My room was very clean upon arrival, and well-maintained by the staff.
- Quiet rooms. I got some street noise, but never heard my neighbors, which was nice.

Cons:
- I had a pretty bad experience (detailed below), but to save you reading time (unless you're curious) I'll say this: they absolutely do not value guests or creating a good experience. As a Times Square hotel, they know the majority of their customers are tourists just looking for a good deal. Therefore, trying to keep business is not a priority and they treat guests like interchangeable commodities. I experienced no effort to be helpful, kind, or welcoming, from any of the staff.

- Hotel staff. They make no effort to make you comfortable or feel welcome. My coworker and I arrived early and checked in, but were told our room wasn't free until the scheduled check-in time of 3:00 pm. Totally fine - checking in early is nice when it happens, but can't be expected. However, when I asked the receptionist for suggestions on what to do she was cold, rude, and not helpful. I then asked about room amenities and got one-word answers to all my questions.
- They gave our room away. Part of our group was checking in later, and when they arrived at 2:00 am, the management couldn't find one of their rooms. We spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what had happened, and the only solution they offered was for us to buy another room. Then, at the last minute, the receptionist discovered that we did indeed have a room, but it had been given away! They gave us another room at no cost, but it took them about another 20 min to do that. The whole thing took about an hour, and a very tired and unhappy part of our group wasn't in bed until 3:00 am. They did not apologize for their mistake, nor did they offer us a discount on this stay or a future stay (or any other compensation for the inconvenience). Clearly they don't value guests at all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lindsey S

On behalf of my team and myself we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had arrived from London heathrow which is an 8 1/2 hour flight, our room was not quite ready so staff checked our bags away safe so we could go ad explore. Our room when we got in was amazing, comfortable and modern just enough space for our luggage the bathroom was clean and of an excellent standard. This trip was a present for my mother's birthday and the staff and high quality service made it worth every penny paid. We had wifi available to allow us to email home. One outstanding area of the hotel services was the staff on reception who spoke fluent Spanish to another customer who was struggling with English. Next time I'm in NYC I know where I'm staying :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking to the time to share your thoughts and thank you so much for your 5 star review! I always appreciate comments such as yours, for they make all our hard work worthwhile. I am glad that you had such a great experience, for I am very proud of our wonderful team and the fantastic service they provide. I hope to see you stay with us again in the future and look forward to the opportunity to provide you excellence in service again very soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was worried about what I was gong to be met with having read previous reviews about this hotel but I don't know what I was worried about!! This hotel was excellent!
We stayed for 4 nights, mid December. Location is excellent, right at Times Square - you couldn't ask for better. Yes you could hear sirens from vehicles but you are in the middle of New York!
Room was small but had everything we needed. It was clean, made up daily, perfect for somewhere to sleep after a long day. Nowhere specific to store cases but not a disaster. Lobby had free wifi which we made use of and it was great. Lobby was very cosy and comfortable.
New York was an amazing city and I would love to visit again and when I do, I'll be re-booking for The Paramount Hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your 5 star review!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our lobby, and of course our location. We hope to see you for many years to come.